"Bodyguard" series

Tools    

Bodyguard (2018). A British thriller/drama series set in contemporary London, staring Richard Madden, Keeley Hawes, Sophie Runden.

Approaching with a little reluctance to sample this series since there have been so many bodyguard-type films and series, I presumed that this would follow familiar territory, but was pleasantly surprised at the writing/plotting, story arch, acting, and twists.

The story is thrilling, holds one's interest, and has almost no gratuitous sex, gore, nor gutter language. And Doc always loves a happy ending. No one displays political cleansing more than do the Brits, and their use of the word "Asians" to describe Muslims was cringeworthy. Even so, the producers reportedly were accused of "Islamophobia"...

We've watched all of the 6 episodes, and are disappointed that there won't be more. This will certainly be extended to additional seasons, given its immense popularity in Britain. Good series are in short supply.

It's on Netflix, and most likely some streaming addons. Netflix has borrowed up to its eyeballs in order to machine-gun out content in the past year or two. Most of their series are rubbish to my taste, but Bodyguard is a very enjoyable surprise.

Doc's rating: 8 of 10

Watching this on Netflix and just finished the first episode. I think it's pretty fantastic. Madden is doing a much better job than he did in Game of Thrones where I thought him drab. Someone strongly suggested this short 6 part series to me, as I'm suggesting it to all of you.

Watching this on Netflix and just finished the first episode. I think it's pretty fantastic. Madden is doing a much better job than he did in Game of Thrones where I thought him drab. Someone strongly suggested this short 6 part series to me, as I'm suggesting it to all of you.
Yeah, I was hoping for a second season, but it never materialized even though it had great ratings. Maybe the producers were skittish over some of it's whiny PC bad rap.

OTOH the Brits don't seem to automatically want to renew a series just because it was popular, whereas Hollywood is always going to automatically renew a series that has good viewership. Good ratings = good money.

@GulfportDoc@TONGO;Jed Mercurio is the writer and is also the writer of the brilliant Line Of Duty, which series 6 is/was currently being filmed, so if there's a second series of Bodyguard (which I'd expect there to be) my guess is that it'll be after the latest series of Line Of Duty wraps.

@GulfportDoc@TONGO;Jed Mercurio is the writer and is also the writer of the brilliant Line Of Duty, which series 6 is/was currently being filmed, so if there's a second series of Bodyguard (which I'd expect there to be) my guess is that it'll be after the latest series of Line Of Duty wraps.
Yeah, I believe we watched all seasons of Line of Duty, and thought is was good, and it held one's interest. Personally I liked Bodyguard more. Hopefully they'll get the green light to do a second season.