A Song For January

Tools    

The Donnas - Who Invited You - Adore this song. It's the one which got me into The Donnas and after that last track I need something good to clear my ears out.

Aretha Franklin - Think - Stone. Cold. Classic. And still brilliant.

Mitski - Cop Car - I like this, it works very well for my current mood. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

The Offspring - Gone Away - I quite like The Offspring but I've never really gotten into them. I'm sure this will do well today.

Stevie Parker - Better Off - Quite like this. Feels very much the kind of thing I might grow to like. I know no one else takes it this as a positive, but it has a 'serious ballad' Eurovision feel to it.

Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way - It's proper country, but not terribly so. And short.

Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round - As a one-off this kind of folky sea shanty thing can work, but it's pretty short and I was already done with it before the 3 minute mark.

The Piedmont Boys - In Came You - Longer than the last one, so not quite as good.

Khalid - Better - Nothing feels better, but plenty sounds better. In a fairly rare occurance musically, I agree with JJ on this one. Except I don't watch the vids, so I don't know how Khalid dances.

Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover) - OK, that needs to stop.

1 Mitski - Cop Car
I like its dark vibes. It was about the only memorable thing about the movie I heard it in.

2. Stevie Parker - Better Off
Pretty stuff.

3. Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover)
Yaaaas go for it bruv!!!!

4. Aretha Franklin - Think

5. The Donnas - Who Invited You

6. The Offspring - Gone Away

7. Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round

8. Khalid - Better

9. The Piedmont Boys - In Came You

10. Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way

I'm kind of busy the next couple of days so I'll pass the next round (and this round's vote).
No worries, appreciate you letting us know.

As pahaK's gonna be busy and take a wee break and everyone else has voted....

1st - Aretha Franklin - Think (64 pts)

2nd - The Piedmont Boys - In Came You (61 pts)
3rd - Mitski - Cop Car (58 pts)
4th - The Donnas - Who Invited You (55 pts)
5th - Stevie Parker - Better Off (54 pts)
6th - Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way (51 pts)
7th - Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round (45 pts)
7th - The Offspring - Gone Away (45 pts)
9th - Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover) (32 pts)
10th - Khalid - Better (30 pts)

Grats to jj on getting a second tune through to the Final

Round ten up in 15 hours or so...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As pahaK's gonna be busy and take a wee break and everyone else has voted....

1st - Aretha Franklin - Think (64 pts)

Grats to jj on getting a second tune through to the Final

Congratulations @jiraffejustin!

Sadly no pahaK for this round, hopefully he'll be back at some point, but there is a welcome return from Sedai

1. Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
2. Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime
3. Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are
4. Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
5. Fur Patrol - Lydia
6. Mister Mister - Kyrie
7. Howard Jones - New Song
8. Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me
9. Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
10. thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine

My Nomination for Round 11:
Blackpink - Ddu Du Ddu Du

Decent enough round imo.

1. Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
  2. Fur Patrol - Lydia
  3. Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
  4. Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime
  5. Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - Black Tambourine
  6. Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me
  8. Mister Mister - Kyrie
  9. Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are
  10. Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode

My R11 nom:
Nürnberg - Los

A system of cells interlinked
1 Mister Mister - Kyrie
2 Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
3 Howard Jones - New Song
4 thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine
5 Fur Patrol - Lydia
6 Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me
7 Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
8 Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are
9 Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
10 Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime

Let the night air cool you off
1. Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
2. Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
3. Fur Patrol - Lydia
4. Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime
5. thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine
6. Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
8. Mister Mister - Kyrie
9. Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are
10. Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me

Travis Scott/Drake: I am not usually a Drake hater, but man he was atrocious in this song. I also hate the way he says "yuh". This song is probably a
. It's never consistently bad, but it's a bit ADHD.

Bob Dylan: I'm not listening to these songs in top down order this round, for some reason. I decided to listen to my song second. I can see some of y'all hating this song, because of the way Bobby sings in it. I love it though, this song and Romance in Durango really have a cool ass western taking place in Mexico vibe.

Becky Warren: Never heard of Becky, but she's doing country music so I'm gonna pay attention. I think her songwriting is a bit of a mixed bag in this song, like I'm all for the sentiment of the song and some of her metaphors are really cool, but some of it feels a bit on the nose. It's more of a gripe over small details of the lyrics rather than the overall product. If this was an average country song, we'd be doing good right now. I'll be checking out more of her work. I like her voice and I like her delivery. The music is good country sounds.

Mr. Mister: It's not really my style. A little too much cheese for me.

Howard Jones: I like this a little more than the Mr. Mister song, but still reeks a little strongly of the 80s goofiness for me to get full enjoyment out of it.

Fur Patrol: I didn't know what to expect, but I loved this.

Somali Yacht Club: Feels badass, dangerous, and I tend to prefer the metal stuff you can tell descended from Sabbath, like this.

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant: pretty fun

Martina McBride & Bob Seger: Two people that I don't think suck or anything, but I can't think of anything either one of them have done that I've actually liked.

Savage Garden:

Round 10

1. Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime
2. Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
(Wasn't expecting this sound from a band with that name. Will definitely seek out more of their stuff.)
3. Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
(For way too long I thought the White Stripes version was an original, and I'm supposed to be a Dylan fan. )
4. Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me
(I think this is the first CD I ever owned, or at least #2 after the Space Jam soundtrack. Major nostalgia rush right now. Still like this song, as it's always given me "Dirty Diana" vibes.)
5. three machine gun elephant - black tambourine
6. Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
7. Fur Patrol - Lydia
8. Howard Jones - New Song
9. Mr. Mister - Kyrie
10. Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are

Becky Warren: Never heard of Becky, but she's doing country music so I'm gonna pay attention. I think her songwriting is a bit of a mixed bag in this song, like I'm all for the sentiment of the song and some of her metaphors are really cool, but some of it feels a bit on the nose. It's more of a gripe over small details of the lyrics rather than the overall product. If this was an average country song, we'd be doing good right now. I'll be checking out more of her work. I like her voice and I like her delivery. The music is good country sounds. :
I haven't listened to much from her, but from I've heard I don't think I would classify her as country. I get much more heartland rock n' roll vibes, like a female Tom Petty or John Mellencamp. Although this particular song, "Call Me Sometime," first reminded me of the 90's hit song "Bitch," (admittedly a guilty pleasure) but I think that's due more to the lyrical approach/attitude than anything else. Warren certainly has a country inflection to her voice, however. I'll be curious to see where she falls on the spectrum for @honeykid, since he dislikes country but appreciates ladies who rock.

BTW, I hope you listen to more of The Piedmont Boys, my previous nomination. I saw them get a shout-out on a list of best country albums from 2020. The first song I listened to from them name-dropped several towns within short driving distance of where I'm from, which shocked me since they're fairly dead towns. I knew then that they must have local ties, and I was right. Been listening to their newest album, Almost Home, nearly non-step for the past week or so. Highly recommended.

1) Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are
2) Mister Mister - Kyrie
3) Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime
4) Howard Jones - New Song
5) Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me
6) Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
7) Fur Patrol - Lydia
8) thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine
9) Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
10) Somali Yacht Club - The Sun

BTW, I hope you listen to more of The Piedmont Boys, my previous nomination. I saw them get a shout-out on a list of best country albums from 2020. The first song I listened to from them name-dropped several towns within short driving distance of where I'm from, which shocked me since they're fairly dead towns. I knew then that they must have local ties, and I was right. Been listening to their newest album, Almost Home, nearly non-step for the past week or so. Highly recommended.

I listened to a few of The Piedmont Boys songs after listening to the nom. They're very good. The lead singer sounds like someone, but I haven't been able to figure out who he reminds me of yet.