The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Is there any chance of a surprise at this point? Are Casablanca and Citizen Kane absolute certs?
Nothing is ever certain.

Suspect's Reviews

I have always thought of the LOTR trilogy as one big movie, split into three parts, rather than 3 separate films but I understand why we had to vote for them separately. Personally I didn't want to use three votes for what I consider to be one film so my one vote went to my favourite which is Fellowship even though I love Two Towers and ROTK almost as much.
I consider it to be a near perfect fantasy film, an achievement made all the more impressive considering the book was thought to be unfilmable for so long. Everything about it is superb: the perfect cast, amazing locations and set design, great action scenes, wonderful score, brilliant adapted screenplay, the list goes on and on. Twenty years after its release it still holds up to repeat viewings and has fully earned it's place as what will surely be the highest ranked film of the 21st Century.

It's been a few years since I've seen Dr Strangelove but I remember thoroughly enjoying it. Not on my list though.

Absolutely! Guesses are encouraged at all points, but especially for the Top 10, since it's at least semi-plausible someone might get them all in order. I'm not sure they have with any list so far, though.

I meant at the risk of revealing an entry in our own top tens because there were a few films I tgought were definite top 100 and at least half of my top ten is either in or getting in, but there are a few entries I'm not certain about.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Absolutely! Guesses are encouraged at all points, but especially for the Top 10, since it's at least semi-plausible someone might get them all in order. I'm not sure they have with any list so far, though.
Hmmmm, I would say it's EXTREMELY unlikely that someone could guess them all. Perhaps if all the voters for this list had a guess, assuming the final 10 films are the those particular 10, there would be a tiny chance of someone getting it. In fact it would be a shock to arrive at the 7th or 8th place and still have anything other than a handful (if any at all) of guessers left.

That's not to say it isn't fun to guess them or see who gets closest and I'll have a stab tmrow.

Hope someone proves me wrong though, they can pick my lottery numbers

Need to put this up I guess

2010 vs 2020 Comparison  

I meant at the risk of revealing an entry in our own top tens because there were a few films I tgought were definite top 100 and at least half of my top ten is either in or getting in, but there are a few entries I'm not certain about.
If it’s indirect I think that’s fine. I’ll probably leave it to your judgement.

Need to put this up I guess

2010 vs 2020 Comparison  
Was wondering were you were, I was waiting to do my fun bashing

30 - 11 - Part 3

28. Terminator 2: Judgment Day >> The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
A terminator gets beaten by a bunch a hobbits, what a disgrace

27. Dr Strangelove >> Psycho - Norman Bates sure has some strangelove with his mother ehhh

22. Citizen Kane >> 12 Angry Men - Boring movie, but a better movie right here

11. The Shawshank Redemption >> The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
Atleast them hobbits aren't running around the top 10, Gandalf better control his little minnies before the clones take up more spots (The Hobbit movies)

That's all I got for now, part 4 coming after the top 10 is revealed

Part 1 - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...shing&page=187

Part 2 - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...33#post2164633

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Dr. Strangelove (my #7) was made at the height of the Cold War, and it turned the ultra-seriousness of something like Fail-Safe into a black comedy. Even so, I know a few people, who while watching this hilarious film, want me to "point out the funny parts". The thing about this film is that, even if you don't get a single joke, it's so damned suspenseful, and occasionally, realistic, that you would have to think it's almost a documentary. The characters' names should be a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a comedy, but I guess some people don't have a sense of humor, or maybe it's limited to fart jokes. The characters' roll call: Dr. Strangelove, Buck Turgidson, Jack D. Ripper, King Kong, Bat Guano, Premier Kissoff, Lothar Zogg, etc.

True, Dr. Strangelove is full of humor, jokes and utter ridiculousness; even enough to rival a Monty Python film, but some people can't get through Kubrick's realism to see the humor. This film contains some truly great action/suspense scenes. The Army has to attack Burpleson Air Force Base to try to stop General Ripper, and that scene is almost like watching documentary Viet Nam war footage. The realism gets to you. Even better, when the Soviet missile hones in on Major Kong's bomber, trying to blow it out of the sky, the scene is played out in real time and is nail-bitingly suspenseful. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only film which can compare to this dark comedy crossed with extreme suspense is The Manchurian Candidate.

Ultimately, this film leaves one thinking about the end of the world. It could very well happen in the blink of an eye, caused by a madman, even if he's NOT an American. This should give everyone pause to consider Dr. Strangelove as a clarion call (yes, even to this day) because it really doesn't take that much for the check and double check system to collapse. It won't go down as hilariously as it does here (if it does), but it will go down just as easily, or perhaps even easier if nobody even understands what this film is about or why it's so flippin' awesome.

I loved the intro to LotR of The Fellowship of the Ring. Ian McKellen probably gives his greatest performance, and the sets, locations, cast and F/X are set up for the entire trilogy. Another film it's hard to add something new about. I guess I can say that I've been to New Zealand and seen many of the beautiful locations, mostly from afar.

My List

4. Star Wars
7. Dr. Strangelove
9. Cabaret
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
12. Schindler's List
16. Back to the Future
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Although I didn't put Dr. Strangelove on my list, I do love it, and it's very close to me, personally, in that Burpleson that mark mentioned above is the very town that I live in, if you take away the "p"---I know this because Terry Southern, co-author of the script was from my hometown of Alvarado, Texas and "Burpleson" is just north of Alvarado. I believe Alvarado is mentioned in the script also but it's been a few years since I've seen the movie so I definitely need to revisit it. And yes, @Jinnistan, the late, great Terry Southern was very smart with the names, particularly Merkin Muffely. You are the only one I know who's ever called attention to the meaning behind that name, which I suspected for years but could not get confirmation on. Thanks! My two favorite characters are Gen. Jack D. Ripper (Sterling Hayden) who is worried about the Commies stealing his "precious bodily fluids" and Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake (Peter Sellers) who is his companion throughout the siege.

It's very interesting that Southern was part of the writing team on the movie. Set in the time of the Cold War, his (and my) hometown had a Nike Missile base set in the country outside of town. I can remember as a kid going for a Sunday drive in the country with my family and my Dad pointing out to me at least one Nike missile sitting above ground on its elevated platform. He never talked about it, as he was rather laid-back to us kids about such things, but I'm sure it bothered him (and most of the town) to have those missiles so close, even though this article about its history would seem to contradict that feeling:

https://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/...d089bbbca.html

I just can't help but wonder, if Southern still had family in town at the time, if he knew about the base and if it informed his dialogue like the town names did.

And a last little connection. Years later, when I was in my mid-20s, I worked at a government warehouse and my boss there (who also lived in my hometown) had been stationed at that same Nike base. Funny how movies can touch your lives in real ways other than just being touched by their greatness.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, is my favorite of the three films, although as @HollowMan said, I also love the other two nearly as much. It was the first representation of the book by J.R.R. Tolkien that was and is my favorite fiction book of all time. The jazzed feeling of seeing it big and beautiful on a large movie screen is still with me to this day. Watching Sauron lay waste to hordes of soldiers in the prologue just sent a thrill through me, and my favorite sequence in the whole book, the journey through Moria and Gandalf's battle with the Balrog was represented so much better than my feeble mind could have imagined (and it was so much better than Ralph Bakshi's "teddy bear/lion Balrog" in his animated first half of the book that was never finished). The introduction to all the heroes of the book are indelible to me. I knew after seeing it that the remaining two would turn out better than expected. This one was #11 on my list.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30
3. Lawrence of Arabia #15
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring #11 (same as the list proper)

Have seen 75 of the films so far.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen Dr. Strangelove several times, and while it's not a favorite movie for me, it is a good movie that seems to get better every time I see it.

As with the other LOTR movies, I like LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, but I don't love it the way most people do.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm still thinking there could be a surprise at this point. Do people really love Apocalypse Now and Citizen Kane as much as we think they do when we're predicting the top 10? Has Raiders gone the way of Star Wars and slipped out of favour completely? Did everyone just assume everyone else would vote for Casablanca or Jaws and leave it off their list?

Can't wait to find out

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm still thinking there could be a surprise at this point. Do people really love Apocalypse Now and Citizen Kane as much as we think they do when we're predicting the top 10? Has Raiders gone the way of Star Wars and slipped out of favour completely? Did everyone just assume everyone else would vote for Casablanca or Jaws and leave it off their list?

Can't wait to find out
The problem is there is no dark horse candidate to backfill one of those spots. I initially thought The Master but that would have happen at least 10 picks ago.

Questioning Jaws or Casablancas love on here is something I wouldn't do. Both are talked about a lot and have pretty distinguished members who consider them huge favorites.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The problem is there is no dark horse candidate to backfill one of those spots. I initially thought The Master but that would have happen at least 10 picks ago.

Questioning Jaws or Casablancas love on here is something I wouldn't do. Both are talked about a lot and have pretty distinguished members who consider them huge favorites.
The Dark Knight is the dark horse

Oh no questioning the love for those two at all, that's why I said people might assume other people had voted for them. I don't really think there's any way Jaws isn't making it with how much people love it.

But this seems so high for Citizen Kane, I didn't think people loved it that much.

Surprising to see Jurassic Park hasn't made it yet considering the impact it had on cinema.
Could be the dark horse.

I think The Dark Knight is one of the most notable absences on this list (assuming there isn't a surprise awaiting us), obviously not because it is the best movie not to make the list, but because it came out not that long ago and as far as I'm concerned it is still the best superhero movie of all time. Maybe the deluge of superhero movies these past ten years spread votes around, or maybe people have just moved on. I considered it, but ultimately left it off. I am not surprised to see Citizen Kane this high, but I am a little surprised on a list like this to see Apocalypse Now in the top ten, but I'd be more surprised to see it miss altogether. Casablanca was a lock to make the top 10 from the very beginning, so there's really no point in questioning its appearance. It was #1 on the 40s countdown, beating out the second place movie by a whopping 150 points. I mean, c'mon.

The Dark Knight is the dark horse

Oh no questioning the love for those two at all, that's why I said people might assume other people had voted for them. I don't really think there's any way Jaws isn't making it with how much people love it.

But this seems so high for Citizen Kane, I didn't think people loved it that much.
The Dark Knight being the dark horse would be great

Surprising to see Jurassic Park hasn't made it yet considering the impact it had on cinema.
Could be the dark horse.
I would love this movie to make it to the top 10

I think The Dark Knight is one of the most notable absences on this list (assuming there isn't a surprise awaiting us), obviously not because it is the best movie not to make the list, but because it came out not that long ago and as far as I'm concerned it is still the best superhero movie of all time. Maybe the deluge of superhero movies these past ten years spread votes around, or maybe people have just moved on. I considered it, but ultimately left it off. I am not surprised to see Citizen Kane this high, but I am a little surprised on a list like this to see Apocalypse Now in the top ten, but I'd be more surprised to see it miss altogether. Casablanca was a lock to make the top 10 from the very beginning, so there's really no point in questioning its appearance. It was #1 on the 40s countdown, beating out the second place movie by a whopping 150 points. I mean, c'mon.
The Dark Knight and other top Comic book films are probably ranging just outside people's top 25, probably see a few of them in the 100-150/200 bracket. There's just too many good films to choose from, a 26 year old me rather than a 36 year old might have picked a couple.

My top 10 predictions:

1. The Godfather
2. Pulp Fiction
3. GoodFellas
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Jaws
6. Casablanca
7. Apocalypse Now
8. Blade Runner
9. Citizen Kane
10. Raiders of the Lost Ark
10. Citizen Kane
9. Casablanca
8. Apocalypse Now
7. Jaws
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Damn, deciding the top 5 is hella tough

5. Pulp Fiction
4. Blade Runner
3. Goodfellas
2. The Godfather
1. 2001

Even though I'm 90% certain of my guesses, there are a couple I'm not as sure of. Mostly Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, and maybe Casablanca. I agree that The Dark Knight might be a potential dark horse, but so is Fargo.

10. Citizen Kane No chance
9. Casablanca No chance
8. Apocalypse Now No chance
7. Jaws
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark No chance

Damn, deciding the top 5 is hella tough

5. Pulp Fiction No chance
4. Blade Runner
3. Goodfellas No chance
2. The Godfather No chance
1. 2001 No chance
Fixed