The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Just gonna re-up this:

Every countdown thread is a group exercise where people try to find as many different ways as possible to say "well, I wouldn't have voted for that."

My Top 10 guesses...
  1. The Godfather
  2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  3. Goodfellas
  4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  5. Pulp Fiction
  6. Jaws
  7. Casablanca
  8. Citizen Kane
  9. Apocalypse Now
  10. Blade Runner

I attempted to guess ranking as much as I could, but who knows.

I want to be clear that my shock of all three LOTR showing in no way means I think they should have been voted for together or that I think they don't belong. It has just been the biggest surprise of the list for me that they have enough love to get all three on and Fellowship this high. #onemovieonevote

Don't really know why it would be worse (not that I think all three making the list is bad either). After all, it's one story split into three films and even filmed simultaneously (very different from something like James Bond or even Harry Potter).
Yeah, but they were released and distributed as separate films. Mashing them together opens up a can of worms in terms of what applies and whatnot (Kill Bill? Hunger Games? Harry Potter?). As someone that usually does mash them up together for informal lists, I don't think that would be the right way to do it. As I said back then when Return of the King came up, the fact that all three made it speaks more to the strength of the films, to the point that different people felt inclined to include a different installment, or all three, than it does to any "weakness" of the list. I'd rather let people have the freedom to choose whatever they want than restrict them in any way.

Going to march to my own beat, just a bit

Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Casablanca
Jaws
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Goodfellas
Blade Runner
Fargo
Citizen Kane

Don't really know why it would be worse (not that I think all three making the list is bad either). After all, it's one story split into three films and even filmed simultaneously (very different from something like James Bond or even Harry Potter).
That's true of the Godfather films and Star Wars, too. All three films are deliberately cut as films with their own narratives within the larger one. It is indeed one story but I think lumping them together is mucking with the definition of "film" a lot more than chopping them up. The breaking of the stories is itself an artistic decision.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't care for Dr Strangelove.

Pretty much everything there is to say about Lord of the Rings has been said the first two times it showed up in this list. I think Fellowship is the best of the three, it might be in my own top 100 and definitely deserves to be here, but I will continue to personally blame Return of the King for the lack of all the other movies I wanted to show up.

There's a whole bunch of films I thought would have made it for sure before the countdown started, but I guess not.

There's now only one more of my 25 movies that will still make it, so rooting for that one to be #1.

Top ten prediction:

1. Blade Runner
2. The Godfather
3. 2001
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Jaws
7. Goodfellas
8. Citizen Kane
9. Casablanca
10. Apocalypse Now

No worries, I didn't take it as a shot, just felt compelled to explain for anyone else reading. It's definitely true that all options are bad in one way or another, just think we ended up with the least bad option.
Agree to disagree. Since it is a single story it should be one entry. I'm not sure any other trilogy warrants that treatment. But all my views are in the tiny minority so it is what it is.

I'll play;
  1. Casablanca
  2. Goodfellas
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  6. The Godfather
  7. Blade Runner
  8. Citizen Kane
  9. Apocalypse Now
  10. Jaws
I'll play too since I just listed the movies in random order before

1.Goodfellas
2.The Godfather
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4.The Departed
5. Inception
6. Pulp Fiction
7.The Dark Knight
8. Jaws
9. Blade Runner
10. Apocalypse Now

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
at least we can agree that spartacus as his.. weakest?

I haven't watched that in many years, but I know I liked it more than "Dr. Strangelove"...

My favs:
-A Clockwork Orange
-Lolita
-Barry Lyndon
-Full Metal Jacket
-Paths of Glory
-The Killing

Welcome to the human race...
I wouldn't settle on a full Kubrick ranking without going on an aforementioned deep dive but Killer's Kiss is my current pick for his weakest feature.

Agree to disagree. Since it is a single story it should be one entry. I'm not sure any other trilogy warrants that treatment. But all my views are in the tiny minority so it is what it is.
I'd be interested to hear why you don't think other trilogies shouldn't be treated the same. Only distinction I can come up with is that they were filmed all in a row, but I'm not sure the circumstances of production should factor into artistic qualifications.

But yes, agree to disagree, regardless.

Dr. Strangelove is great. It terrified me in a sort of abstract way when I originally watched it. A couple viewings since then have led to me finding more things to be scared of. Beyond that, it's also funny as hell and has a handful of great performances. While Peter Sellers tends to receive the most praise in this film (and understandably so), I liked George C. Scott the most. While comedies are normally my least favorite genre, that one impressed me a great deal. Glad to see it on this list. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eagerly anticipate 2001: A Space Odyssey making it on this list.

I don't feel like elaborating on LotR again. In short, when it comes to craft, there's a lot to praise them for and they're exactly what they want to be. They're not for me though.

Still waiting for my Kubrick pick to turn up, but Dr. Strangelove would probably be my second choice of his work. An absolutely lacerating comedy and a perfect showcase for Peter Sellers.

I remember the first time I saw a preview for Fellowship of the Ring in the theater. My then-girlfriend was skeptical that it could be properly pulled off but I was thrilled at what I was seeing (she did come around later). Twenty years on there's a little wear around the edges but its heart is pure. Not one of my choices but they have my affection.

DR STRANGELOVE is all kinds of great, but it gets lost in my Kubrick affection since he just made too many perfect movies. I also sometimes am disinclined to list it as one of my favorite comedies, since what I take away from it is the madness and the terror, no so much the laughs. The laughs are pretty much all that is left for us to do once we realize how doomed we may all be one day. Which, I guess, is kind of funny after all. Sterling Hayden and George C Scott also need to have their comedic chops taken out from the solar eclipse that is Peter Sellers. Hayden may in fact be my favorite performance in the whole movie.

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: If it wasn't for miring me in an endless battle at the end of the film, I probably would have loved this movie. Everything up to the moment where we are forced to hang out with a bunch of elves and be slightly nauseated at their pointy ears, is about as engrossing as a fantasy film can be. It feels like a real lived in world, and there are great moments of terror and joy to be a part of. It's kind of exceptional. And I could have even overlooked the elf stuff, if it then didn't lead to what amounts to a fairly monotonous hour long sword fight. It takes a lot for me to sit still for any action scene that long (unless its the Raid 2, because that movie knows how to do it correctly) Frankly, I'd rather watch Hobbits jump on beds for the conclusion of a film, than the bout of endless cling-clang sword boredom I got here. But it works for other people, three times over it appears, and more power to them. Who cares if it takes up three slots, if that's what the votes say.