The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
#11, wow. We knew it was coming but I am absolutely blown away by how much love LOTR got on this list. Fellowship is the best for me and after my rewatches early last year I think it is firmly in my 100. Somewhere in the 84-100 range. Great movies. Have I mentioned how surprised I am that all three made it, and Fellowship just missing top ten?

Strangelove is very good and very funny. A 3.5 star movie for me. So obviously not on my list and nowhere near a top 12, but the Kubrick cult is real. Also, in this film, Scott>Sellers.
RE: LOTR.

A couple people put those three movies as their 1,2,3.

Suspect's Reviews

Two nice choices...

Dr. Strangelove is my #5 or #6 Kubrick, but it's so close with his films. I only saw it for the first time a couple of years ago and, although I enjoyed it all, George C. Scott had me ROTF. And to think of the way Kubrick pulled that performance out of him only makes it funnier I'm not that crazy about the bits on the plane, but overall, it's a great comedy.

The Fellowship of the Ring was my #9. I saw this on theaters back in the day and it blew me away from the beginning. That impressive prologue does a great job of exposition and setting up the stage just before setting our characters on their journey. It's an impressive feat of filmmaking, full of almost flawless production and great acting. Although I love the other two parts, I still have some slight issues/nitpicks with them (the Ents in TTT, some needed restraint in ROTK), but this one I consider to be perfect.

Decade Breakdown so far - update

From 2020 List
20s - 1
30s - 2
40s - 2
50s - 10 - There's now more 50s movies (by 2 movies) on this list compared to the 2010's list
60s - 13 - There's now more 60s movies (by 1 movie) on this list compared to the 2010's list
70s - 17 - In the lead with the most movies on this list, on 2010's list it was the 90's in the lead with 30 movies
80s -15- There's now more 80s movies (by 1 movie) on this list compared to the 2010's list
90s - 18
2000s - 10
2010s - 2

(One more breakdown update coming up when the top 10 is revealed)

41 New Movies from 2020 List
49 Movies from 2010 List

My Summary:
Seen: 35/90

My List  

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

My Summary:

Seen: 81/90
My list: 15/25

My List  

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Dr. Strangelove might've been on my list years back (it certainly made my top 100 both times, hitting the top 25 in the 2013 edition), but I simply have not watched it in so long and I never really feel any pull to go back to it. I've been toying with the idea of doing a full Kubrick rewatch (or at least the ones I haven't seen in a long enough while so that rules out 2001, The Shining, The Killing, and even Fear and Desire) and this might be the impetus I need to get around to it.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to watching the extended Fellowship at some point in the past few months and still dug it, but I'm still unsure if it or any other entry in the trilogy would crack a top 100 for me.

Two long-ass titles today

Peter Sellers is excellent in his multiple roles in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb and the whole is an enjoyable piece of cold-war absurdity. Very happy to see it on the list even if personally I do think this is perhaps a little too elevated for it.

As I'm sure I must have said for the previous two LOTR entries it's been some time since I watched the trilogy but The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring is just as epic as the other two and just as deserving of a place on this list. I could never manage to get through the book (contrarily I found The Hobbit an all too immersive page-turner) so the trilogy was probably the only way I was going to experience it, and what an experience it is.

Seen: 80/90 (Own: 41/90)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
10. The Dark Knight (2008)

My predictions on the final 10 movies

The Departed
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Godfather
Blade Runner
The Dark Knight
Inception
Jaws
Apocalypse Now
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas

(I only put down movies that I've seen so don't get all salty :P if you don't see Space Odyssey, Casablanca and Citizen Kane on their which I have not seen them yet.)

Amazing @rauldc14

As mentioned previously I absolutely love LOTR and put the third film on my list to represent them all. I can't really separate them. It seemed a little mad to take up 3 spaces out of 25. Great to see them all here especially with one this high!

Add Dr. Strangelove to my list that I've seen but it's been faaaar too long.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What if I took the Ring?

I reckon @Skepsis93 will still predict be able to predict the top 10 anyway
Yep, here it is, no point waiting to reveal them @Yoda

1. The Godfather
2. Pulp Fiction
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Goodfellas
5. Blade Runner
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
7. Jaws
8. Apocalypse Now
9. Citizen Kane
10. Casablanca

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dr. Strangelove (my #7) was made at the height of the Cold War, and it turned the ultra-seriousness of something like Fail-Safe into a black comedy. Even so, I know a few people, who while watching this hilarious film, want me to "point out the funny parts". The thing about this film is that, even if you don't get a single joke, it's so damned suspenseful, and occasionally, realistic, that you would have to think it's almost a documentary. The characters' names should be a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a comedy, but I guess some people don't have a sense of humor, or maybe it's limited to fart jokes. The characters' roll call: Dr. Strangelove, Buck Turgidson, Jack D. Ripper, King Kong, Bat Guano, Premier Kissoff, Lothar Zogg, etc.

True, Dr. Strangelove is full of humor, jokes and utter ridiculousness; even enough to rival a Monty Python film, but some people can't get through Kubrick's realism to see the humor. This film contains some truly great action/suspense scenes. The Army has to attack Burpleson Air Force Base to try to stop General Ripper, and that scene is almost like watching documentary Viet Nam war footage. The realism gets to you. Even better, when the Soviet missile hones in on Major Kong's bomber, trying to blow it out of the sky, the scene is played out in real time and is nail-bitingly suspenseful. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only film which can compare to this dark comedy crossed with extreme suspense is The Manchurian Candidate.

Ultimately, this film leaves one thinking about the end of the world. It could very well happen in the blink of an eye, caused by a madman, even if he's NOT an American. This should give everyone pause to consider Dr. Strangelove as a clarion call (yes, even to this day) because it really doesn't take that much for the check and double check system to collapse. It won't go down as hilariously as it does here (if it does), but it will go down just as easily, or perhaps even easier if nobody even understands what this film is about or why it's so flippin' awesome.

I loved the intro to LotR of The Fellowship of the Ring. Ian McKellen probably gives his greatest performance, and the sets, locations, cast and F/X are set up for the entire trilogy. Another film it's hard to add something new about. I guess I can say that I've been to New Zealand and seen many of the beautiful locations, mostly from afar.

My List

4. Star Wars
7. Dr. Strangelove
9. Cabaret
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
12. Schindler's List
16. Back to the Future
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb was #4 on the MoFo '60s List and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was #1 on the MoFo Millennium List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Amazing film but not on my list. I say that all the time. Maybe I forgot to include any movies on my list

Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)

Such a prestigious film deserves a huge photo!..I love that war room set, it's so cool, it's so Kubrick!

And Kubrick shot it from so many different angles that it was hard deciding which photo I wanted to use. I almost just went with a photo of Tracy Reed, I mean who doesn't love a photo of a pretty girl in a bikini Though it's funny that she's in General 'Bucks' (George C. Scott) bedroom at 3 am and is laying in bed wearing high heels and a bikini. I guess General Buck likes 'em that way But what exactly was he doing in the bathroom when Brig.General Ripper calls? I guess we'll never know and that's what makes the movie so cleverly funny, it's all of these hidden comic situations that are so subtle that you have to think about them to get them. Like when Keenan Wynn finds General Ripper shot dead in the bathroom...while shaving. While shaving? Ha, Did that have something to do with conserving precious bodily fluids?

Kubrick is undeniably one of the great directors. Most all of his movies show spectacular-ism, coupled with restraint...which then results in a beautifully crafted film that never force feeds emotions onto us. I could go on and on about the sets and filming techniques that Kubrick employs. The word 'superb' is hardly adequate for the level that Kubrick takes his films to.

Kudos to the army base battle scene. I'm talking about the choice of a hand held (16mm?) camera that's used at near ground level to simulate actual war footage. The results is a noticeably grainy stock that looks like early Vietnam war documentary film. For Kubrick to do that back in 1964 was pure genius.

And kudos to the interior of the B-52 bombers. Hot damn, those cockpits and bomb controls looked real to me. Of course most of us have never seen the inside of a B-52 but I can image they'd look a lot like what we seen on the screen. The entire film is amazing in the visuals.

And a huge shout out to some very fine performances. Everyone seems to single out Sterling Harden as the war and fluid obsessed Brig Gen Ripper...and he owned that role too! But my favorite was Peter Sellers as the President and as Capt. Mandrake.

The other stand out for me (and every actor was good in this) is George C. Scott. Loved how the film started off with this crusty General who's more interested in his secretary than an important call from a superior officer, ha!

Oh, damn forgot to say how much I loved the opening title sequences with the B-52 refueling in air and that font, how cool was that!

And the end sequence with all the atomic blast, while that haunting song played, gosh that was so melancholy and such a good choice for the end of the world.

Freakin amazing film This was my second watch. The first time was many years ago and I liked it then. This time around my opinion has climbed even higher. Who knows how high it could go with a third watch.
+

Taxi Driver no complaints even if it isn't in my top 100. It's a nasty, grimy film that fascinates me but I don't love it.
There's a thread going around here called "This is my..." and you name an actor/actress and associate a film role with them. Well, This is my NYC. Scorsese does a great job of pulling back the covers of Metropolis and it ain't all that pretty. I think the city is the star of the movie and it's a lot more Michael Berryman than George Clooney.

Alien just missed the cut for me. Probably a top 30 film and another one of my 88
movies. There's been some discussion about character development or lack thereof and, to be honest, I think there's just the right amount. It's perfect just how it is. At almost 2 hours any more character stuff would slow an already slow burn of a film down. Only had room for one sci-fi, alien, horror show and The Thing is a little more up my alley but not by much.

Dr. Strangleove I absolutely hated this movie the first time I watched it way back in high school. I was still anti black and white movies and anti pre 80's movies. Needless to say, I've seen it quite often since then and it's slowly come around to where I think it's one of the best films ever and had it at no. 2. That's worthy of
in my book. The more I see it the more perfect I think it is. I start watching this and I'm gonna laugh. George C. Scott is a riot and I know he was a bit hoodwinked by Stanley but Stanley was right to have him play Buck as over the top as he could. They created one of the greatest characters of all time. Almost a precursor to Frank Drebin. In fact, every actor hits the right note and I love em all. There's a lot to discover with Strangelove on rewatches. Things that were always funny get more funny and things that weren't funny at all become funny. Just watched it about a week ago and already want to dive back in.

Fellowship of the Ring is the only one I actually enjoy and have seen it a couple of time but it's been awhile. I love the intro's to all the characters so the entire Shire stuff was a lot of fun. For whatever reason I find the start of the journey more interesting than the journey itself. The scene that always stuck with me though is at the Inn. That was real good. I have it sitting at

My List:
1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#33)
2. Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (#12)
5. The Exorcist (#47)
8. The Thing (#20)
11. The Empire Strikes Back (#30)
14. Amadeus (#50)
15. The Wizard of Oz (#36)
17. Rear Window (#40)
18. Gone With the Wind (#55)
19. Metropolis (#73)
20. Shindler's List (#41)
22. Sunset Boulevard (#53)
24. Se7en (#29)
25. One Pointer - Planes, Trains and Automobiles

12. Dr. Strangelove - another great kubrick film that is not in my list

11. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm a Kubrick fan, but I thought "Dr. Strangelove" was one of his weaker movies.. I never found it funny, especially the oft-quoted "No fighting in the war room", which I might have found cute as a 12-year old though.

Anyone else been singing Dr Feelgood in your head all morning? I never even liked Motley Crue. Music is a powerful drug.