The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It isn’t so much as in “retrospect” about Alien that makes it a decent film as opposed to a great film, so much as I one described it to my brother as Jaws in space. Which I don’t know if I coined that or not, as I think I read another describing it as such.

It is definitely full of atmosphere (*snicker*) and has a a unique style but outside of Ripley, the other characters were ill defined.

Good film, falls short of being great. But I do recognize it’s place in history and understand others who feel differently
Re: the bolded part, it's obviously okay if that makes the film have a lesser impact to you, but can I hold that against the film if it wasn't the filmmaker's goal? I mean, I don't think Alien aims to be a deep character study, but for whatever little time we spend with this characters, I think it does a great job of exposition and letting us know who they are without reading us a dossier on each.

EDIT: Hadn't read that Rodent had already addressed this way better than I did.

The trick is not minding
Re: the bolded part, it's obviously okay if that makes the film have a lesser impact to you, but can I hold that against the film if it wasn't the filmmaker's goal? I mean, I don't think Alien aims to be a deep character study, but for whatever little time we spend with this characters, I think it does a great job of exposition and letting us know who they are without reading us a dossier on each.

EDIT: Hadn't read that Rodent had already addressed this way better than I did.
It’s a legitimate point, yeah, but at the same time I might have preferred it to have, not necessarily been a character study mind you, but more fleshed out characters.

That's correct, it is I.
God bless your marimbas, Ed.

The trick is not minding
Hard to believe it took Scott this long to get in, but he eventually did. Obviously thid means Gladiator has no shot. Scorsese finally joins the multiples, though this should'vehappened much earlier since we still haven't found Goodfellas or The Departed (or even The Last Waltz yet.

IV
  • Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40), Psycho (27), Vertigo (19)
III
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
II
  • Akira Kurosawa: Ikiru (95), Seven Samurai (26)
  • Andrej Tarkovsky: Andrej Rublev (67), Stalker (25)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • Coen Brothers: No Country for Old Men (51), The Big Lebowski (18)
  • David Fincher: Fight Club (52), Se7en (49)
  • John Carpenter: Halloween (44), The Thing (20)
  • Martin Scorsese: Raging Bull (49), Taxi Driver (14)
  • Milos Forman: Amadeus (50), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (33)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)
  • Peter Jackson: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (42), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (28)
  • Robert Zemeckis: Forrest Gump (65), Back to the Future (34)
  • Roman Polanski: Rosemary's Baby (91), Chinatown (17)
  • Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West (31), The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (23)
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Clockwork Orange (32), The Shining (21)
  • Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind (55), The Wizard of Oz (36)
The Big Lebowski isn't their best film, but it was well-acted, fun to watch and quite twisty. I'd say it's their fourth best.

Taxi Driver has three great acts, but acts two and three practically forget most of what made act one so good, including the side-character development. 9.5. Alien does not make that act structure mistake, although the slightest bit of extra character development (though it was still pretty good development) would have allowed the cast of the first film to rival the sequel's cast and possibly make it a better movie. 9.9/10. Otherwise, I absolutely adore it. Let me be kiddy and say it was the first rated-R movie I ever bought (bought the whole trilogy).
Getting less likely we’ll see another Capra film appear and that makes me sad face 😞

TAXI DRIVER: Never have I so instictively pushed back against a movie on first viewing. I had wanted to see it for ages, and when I finally did, it had a griminess and a lethargy in purpose that I wasn't expecting. I had heard about its controversial violence, and had been expecting some kind of slickly paced, exciting, surreal urban nightmare. Instead, I found a film that, while I certainly didn't identify with the behavior or morality of its title character, I recognized his world much too well. It felt aimless. Boring. Lonely. Frustrated. And, once again, aimless. The only things that seemed to anchor him to the planet were awkward attempts at socializing, and ultimately, acts of empty vigilantism. I hated it. I think subconsciously I felt the film was accusing me, as well as a number of my friends, of being destined to fall into the same trap of reaching out for some kind of, any kind of purpose, even if it was no good for anybody. I didn't even want to be associated with such a thing.

It was only years later, that I was long enough removed from directly relating (and being terrified) of relating to such a man, that I could see how observantly human Scorsese was with this film. The film is a poem to all of the souls who become lost in urban sprawl. That can't keep up and drown. Who probably never had much to offer in the first place, but to just keep on plugging away and living for some...reason. It's a terribly despairing film. It's unbearably lonely. Few moments in cinema have so perfectly captured an empty life as Travis Bickle using his foot to slowly tilt his television stand further and further back until it eventually hits the floor and explodes. Because a day has to be filled up with something, after all. So why not that.

Why not, is of course the dangerous question that lurks in the movies underbelly. What is there to lose. This film give us a vantage point of a headspace none of us want to stay in for long. I know I sure didn't. And ultimately offers both an empathetic lifeline to these similarly miserable souls of the world, and a warning to any of us who encounter them one evening on a darkened street. It's an extraordinary complicated film, both morally and empathetically, and challenges us to watch the kind of story that is playing out in many dimly lit windows all over the world. Some might say such lives are not deserving of having such a cinematic masterpiece devoted to them, and there are fair arguments to think so. But as a person who believes as much of the world needs to be documented through the arts as possible, from humanities greatest triumphs to the least inspiring of do-nothing lives, Taxi Driver is essential.
Well said.

I don't see it necessary to relate, or even like or root for, the characters on-screen or to give much concern for whatever white-hat/black-hat motives to justify them, but I do appreciate the effectiveness of a filmmaker to immerse us into their world and headspace. I also enjoy films that subvert audience expectation, and I enjoy imagining those initial audiences who possibly for a few minutes there thought they might be enjoying a somewhat quirky romance unfold, only for a very different film to emerge. The technique of the film's look and mood to mirror Bickle's psychological deterioration, subtle until it isn't, has a frog-in-a-skillet quality, and this degree of Bressonian alienation was unknown in an American film at that time.

Of course a film as unapologtically ambiguous will be misunderstood. Some people were inspired to become vigilantes (Goetz), some were inspired to impress Jodie Foster (Hinckley) and some others have been fooled into thinking that Joker was a half-way worthy homage. There's a lot of loose nuts out there. A lot of people even bought Belfort's pen.

Yeah, no hint this time guys. There's just no way, I can be super vague and it's just gonna be way too obvious. Probably did one too many given how many people easily got the last one.

Yeah, no hint this time guys. There's just no way, I can be super vague and it's just gonna be way too obvious. Probably did one too many given how many people easily got the last one.
As much as I've loved the clues and think they've been a fun addition to this countdown, I agree that heading into the top 12 they're just going to be too easy with the extremely small pool of potential films left to appear. Sounds fair to me.

I reckon @Skepsis93 will still predict be able to predict the top 10 anyway

Even if it's too obvious, it's fine, it's better then no hint. it's gonna get easy and obvious as we get to the final movies anyways

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Well I'm gonna suck it up and go hintless, got work early tomorrow so I don't want to stay up all night

Jaws and Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now

list update:
1. Lord the Rings: The Return of the King
2. Lord the Rings: The Two Towers
3. you can probably guess what this one is
4. A Woman Under the Influence
5. Mulholland Drive
6. will make it
7. The Shining
8. nope
9. nope
10. Singin' in the Rain
11. The Night of the Hunter
12. Stalker
13. No Country for Old Men
14. nope
15. nope
16. nope
17. still comin'
18. Vertigo
19. nope
20. nope
21. comin' up
22. yep
23. nope
24. the only one that i thought had a decent chance at the beginning that definitely isn't gonna show
25. Good Manners (2018)
criticker

If Yoda isn't doing a hint, I'll do one

Translucent duck, paramecium stuck.
A dollar for a foot, your life for a holler.
Rows of cars that fly asunder, far from thunder.
The chick was hot, that you can say.
But anything else save it for another day.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If Yoda isn't doing a hint, I'll do one

Translucent duck, paramecium stuck.
A dollar for a foot, your life for a holler.
Rows of cars that fly asunder, far from thunder.
The chick was hot, that you can say.
But anything else save it for another day.

There's only one word in that hint that strikes at the heart of such a countdown, and that word is duck.

Not the verb.

I expect this to place no less than 7 in these final days as a Shawshank/BTtF compliment crossover.

12 Angry Men is a fine film that didn't make my list. No Lumet for me. As for The Shining, well, I have a great deal of respect for Kubrick's cerebral approach to horror, but with my one director/one film self-imposed rule, this was never going to be my choice.

The Thing is an excellent remake of a pretty good film, and I agree with anyone who says this is Carpenter's best (nothing against Halloween). I can't just can't make heads or tails of Vertigo, or my reaction to it. I've tried a couple of times and while I admire the craft, it doesn't speak to me. It's not you, Vertigo, it's me. Neither of these made my list.

I love White Russians and I love The Big Lebowski, but it didn't make my list. Probably top 3 Coen brothers for me though. I think. For Chinatown, see Vertigo, above. I probably need medical help.

I'm on the side of those who can't see The Shawshank Redemption on their own top 100 list, but I get its appeal, and clearly it inspires a lot of love. However, even though someone else confesses, I'm still pretty sure Andy did it. (He really needed the jury from #22 on the list, yeah?) Lawrence of Arabia, though, that was #6 on my list. The epitome of the grandeur of cinema.

Taxi Driver I've seen once and was impressed, but it was a long time and I need to see it again. Not on my list. Alien, the ads for which haunted my childhood, managed to live up to its promise when I saw many years later; it was my #10.

Ah, Rinko Kikuchi. Kumiko could hunt my treasure any day.
Umm...you all should probably ignore that.
not rinko :O
this is the actual rinko

ah i see there some look-alike side from both

But anyway, I hope that's a positive reaction.
(to close the ambiguous loop) taxi driver was 8th in my list

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Does anyone want to take a guess at the remaining films? Really easy to know what films are left, but not the order. Shame this is almost over...so soon?

The tricky part though is that order, I think one person came close one time on one of these lists. Respect goes to the one who can do it.

Added bonus points if they get the number of lists they are on.

No one will get all those elements, hahaha. Going down the list (humble brag I know the outcome), I guess we can wait till after these two and guess the top ten?? Even then I still think it would be difficult.

Looking back at this whole thing, I gotta say I'm happy that so many people are engaging in actual intelligent conversation regarding these movies. Other times it's been quick thoughts, which still happens, but I feel like it's more back and forth this time, which is nice. Very nice to see the new members take to this so quickly and they seem to fit in quite well.

Endgame is next by the way.

Suspect's Reviews