The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Alien is my favorite horror movie. I'm glad to see it so high on the list. While it explores our fears of sex, having our bodies violated, etc. I find it more interesting as an exploration of our fears of capitalism and technological advancement dehumanizing us, which Ridley Scott also explored in his next feature and other masterpiece, Blade Runner. The xenomorph is terrifying, but the scariest moment in the movie to me is when we hear Ash's last words ("you can't kill it"). It's chilling for the way he expresses his admiration for the creature's perfection, which is without a care about whether it will kill the rest of the remaining crew.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Alien? "Make it so."
This sci-fi horror is my numeral uno, followed by a close Chinatown, making the list earlier. Alien takes top spot for me for the science fiction bonus. I was lucky this holiday season to find it playing at the local theater for a week and was able to experience this on the big screen. I took a picture of the title screen, I was so excited. Like a dork.

I'm SLIGHTLY disappointed that this did not break the top 10, but it's pretty darned close. Unless that "3" is a typo? Probably, but I won't protest. I'm also concerned that none of my remaining choices are likely to make the list. Maybe one, but that's 50/50 I'm thinking. Oh well. It was a decent run.

(edit #3: these random return breaks are driving me nuts!)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Alien is a movie I don't love but totally expected it to be here and I think it's a masterpiece compared to Aliens. I want to watch it again and am hoping I will grow into it

I maybe haven't been force feeding a movie more than Taxi Driver the last twenty years. I think it's great, I give it a 4/5. I love Deniro in it. I love the music and the atmosphere. This movie should be an absolute favorite of mine after 5 viewings, but it still isn't. Maybe next time. I have no issues with it's place on this list or in cinephilia.

Of course both finished very high on the MoFo '70s List where Taxi Driver was #3 and Alien was #5. Ridley Scott's original flick that birthed a franchise also placed at #4 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List, #26 on the MoFo Horror List, and twenty-four spots higher than James Cameron's sequel on this list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Taxi Driver was my #8. One of those fundamental films where you can find the essence of entire modes and genres distilled to their purest cinematic form. Kinda disappointed that it looks like The Departed is going to outrank it, though.

Alien was my #11. I'm genuinely shocked that it wasn't on the 2010 list at all (especially with Aliens occupying a respectable #55, to say nothing of all the other titles that didn't crack the list this time around) - its reputation as an all-time classic (and a popular one at that) seemed like a given. Still, better to get its much-deserved due late rather than never.

A system of cells interlinked
I had Taxi Driver on my list up until the 11th hour, where it just got edged out by a decidedly inferior film. As I mentioned earlier: My list sucks.

Meanwhile, Alien was #14 on my list.

Kinda disappointed that it looks like The Departed is going to outrank it, though.
Surely not. 12 films left, I honestly don't see any of these losing out to The Departed.

The Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Jaws
Fellowship of the Ring
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Casablanca
Blade Runner
Citizen Kane
Dr Strangelove

I've seen both movies, Alien was good, not a favorite of mines though. I really loved Taxi Driver and good performance by Robert De Niro. It was nice to see how sad and depressing NYC was in the 70s. This movie is not one of my 25 ballots but it's on my 100 favorite movies list.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

A system of cells interlinked
I think we are fairly safe from The Departed appearing at this point, That film has fallen out of favor quite a bit on the site over the past few years.

Surely not. 12 films left, I honestly don't see any of these losing out to The Departed.

The Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Jaws
Fellowship of the Ring
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Casablanca
Blade Runner
Citizen Kane
Dr Strangelove
You're probably right, but I do remember it cracking the list at #7 last time so it seemed reasonable to assume that it might show up again.

I think we are fairly safe from The Departed appearing at this point, That film has fallen out of favor quite a bit on the site over the past few years.
Hope so. If a second rate Scorcese remake ranks higher than his masterpiece, then it will be laughable.

I don't know, there have been some pretty laughable picks on the list so far (and knowing which one outranks which on the IMDb top 250 also gives me pause).

14. Taxi Driver

13. Alien

--
my list so far :

2 Stalker 1979
8 Taxi Driver 1976
11 The Good, the Bad and the*Ugly 1967
17 Ikiru 1952

Of course The Departed is making this list, it's a shame if it don't

Love Taxi Driver. While it didn’t make my list I’m happy to see it rank so highly here. Excellent film

Alien was pretty high up on my list, just one spot above Aliens.

I don't know, there have been some pretty laughable picks on the list so far (and knowing which one outranks which on the IMDb top 250 also gives me pause).
Which picks are laughable? I don't love everything here but I think those are two very different things.

I was perhaps around 10-12 when I watched Alien for the first time, alone, in my room. My mom had talked a bit about it and I quickly became interested, even though you could sense she perhaps wasn’t too sure if I should see it at that age.

But when I came into the living room and told my mom I had just seen Alien and that I really liked it she seemed more happy that I liked it than concerned that I saw it.

I have watched it countless of times since - both of the first two films actually - and both were on my list too. Right next to each other actually, with the first one just edging out the second. It truly is one of the great pieces of groundbreaking, influential cinema that I’m still impressed by to this day.

Taxi Driver is also a pretty interesting story. I saw it when I was really getting into cinema, around 16-17 I guess it must have been... we were supposed to pick a movie from a table in class at school and then watch that movie and talk about it in a presentation. I was quick to pick out Taxi Driver because I had heard so much about it already. I almost felt like I had seen it with the amount I had heard of it. It was mostly about its status though and not that much about the story itself.

When I watched it, I was a bit underwhelmed. I guess I expected something else. I don’t think I quite understood what I had watched. But scenes and moments kinda stuck with me and I watched it a few years later once again and it worked much better for me. I think I might have seen it 3-4 times now and it’s really grown on me. I really love it now. It’s not all the way top tier amazing, but it’s really really really good. I enjoy it for sure and own it in my collection.