Music Moments In Movies

Tools    

There's also the musical attempt to communicate in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I'd rather not post a YouTube clip because it's better to watch everything that precedes it first.

Few of my favourites.
The Motorcycle Diaries

The Perks of being a Wallflower (could have also named the part where Bowie's Heroes is played)

Funny no one mentioned this.

Flashbacks of a Fool

Garden State (slightly cheesy scene this, but I love it)

There's also the musical attempt to communicate in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I'd rather not post a YouTube clip because it's better to watch everything that precedes it first.
A friend of mine (Ian Underwood) along with other things in the film played the 5 note theme the scientists used to communicate with the aliens: G, A, F, (octave lower) F, C. I was surprised to learn how much time they spent selecting those 5 pitches. Seems to me after the aliens landed, or before when they were getting their attention, the pitches were raised a few steps, but at the same intervals.

A friend of mine (Ian Underwood) along with other things in the film played the 5 note theme the scientists used to communicate with the aliens: G, A, F, (octave lower) F, C. I was surprised to learn how much time they spent selecting those 5 pitches. Seems to me after the aliens landed, or before when they were getting their attention, the pitches were raised a few steps, but at the same intervals.
Wow! I looked him up and he has quite the resume. Blade Runner...Aliens...Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention's albums from '68 to '79...

Do you know how he feels about one of his most recognizable works being those five notes considering everything else he's done in his career?

[Ian Underwood] Wow! I looked him up and he has quite the resume. Blade Runner...Aliens...Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention's albums from '68 to '79...

Do you know how he feels about one of his most recognizable works being those five notes considering everything else he's done in his career?
I never asked him, but he's a very pragmatic guy, so I'm sure he didn't think anything special about it, since he's done so many thousands of studio gigs.

He worked very closely with film composer James Horner on many of Horner's movie gigs. When James died an untimely death a few years back, Ian went into semi-retirement.