The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Thing a few years ago for the Sci-Fi HoF, and while it was an interesting movie, it was a bit too much horror for my taste. I'm one of the few people who prefers the 1951 original, (The Thing from Another World), over the remake.

Vertigo is a great movie, and one of my favorite Hitchcock movies, but it's another Hitchcock movie that I just didn't have room for on my list.

Finally a string from my list

My List
2. Persona
4. Rosemary's Baby
11. Rear Window
14.12 Angry Men
16. The Shining
17. Mulholland Drive
19. Vertigo
25. The Florida Project (1 pointer)

I likely only have 1-2 more films that will make it , and at this point can see one missing the count- maybe both, idk. Anyone have a list of locks for the rest?

I can see how some would feel like 12 Angry Men is a bit cliched 70 years later, but whose done court room better? Only media I can think of that comes is Trial of OJ and wasn't a strictly in court movie. Imo it's a brilliant script with amazing cinematic excecution and will always be a favorite

After years of them switching The Shining is currently my favorite Kubrick ahead of 2001: A Space Odyssey , and the only to make my list. But I did have three ( some would argue 2) horror films ahead of it- only Rosemary's Baby will make the list from those- thanks to me. Which is kinda cool

Veritgo is my second favorite Hitchcock, and maybe his most gripping. Cool to see it take the slot as his best in MoFo world

Both The Thing and Matrix are enjoiyable films, I'd never consider either for a personal top 100 but I see the appeal

Obviously, my previous post was a joke. The Thing is a bona fide horror classic and one that gets better with each viewing. So much, that it made my list. It's my favourite Carpenter flick and I love the music, practical effects and the fact that we still do not know when each person gets infected. I rented The Thing video game for the PS2 back in the day....that thing was hella hard.
Phew, you were about to make me cry.

Obviously, my previous post was a joke. The Thing is a bona fide horror classic and one that gets better with each viewing. So much, that it made my list. It's my favourite Carpenter flick and I love the music, practical effects and the fact that we still do not know when each person gets infected. I rented The Thing video game for the PS2 back in the day....that thing was hella hard.

I saw that post and wanted to ignore and forget as quickly as possible.

Got to be honest, first thought for me was "Well, at least we know which MoFo the entity assimilated first"

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Chinatown
The Big Lebowski
That's just like....your opinion man!

• 217 points
  • 12 lists
18. The Big Lebowski

Director

Joel Coen, 1998

Starring

Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore

• 223 points
  • 13 lists
17. Chinatown

Director

Roman Polanski, 1974

Starring

Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston, Perry Lopez

Wow, Chinatown made the 2010 list in 18th place

Lebowski was one of mine

My List  

The powerful always
Straddle on top of us
Pretty simple, both protagonists are beset by powerful men.

Both in humble home
And rightward metropolis
Humble home = The Dude's house.

Rightward metropolis = Chinatown (if I'd said "town" at all or even "Eastern metropolis" I think it gets guessed immediately by everyone). So I settled for the direction east lies on a map.

Damned influence flows
First by leaking down
Then shot from a hose
Until we've all drowned
The plot in Chinatown is all about water rights, which dovetails well with the inciting incident of rug urination (hence "leaking" above and not one of the many other words available) in The Big Lebowski.

But that's the wrong liquid
Compared to water, it's thicker
"Blood is thicker than water," is the saying. Alludes to the twist at the end of Chinatown.

For one sleuthing around
Or a confused city slicker
Sleuthing around = Jake's a detective.

City slicker = the phrase "city slicker" refers to someone from an urban area who comes out to the west. "Dude" originally meant the same thing.

Is where no good man goes

Met there with pity
For the truth that he knows
The ending of Chinatown.

Also: "knows." Couldn't resist the homonym with "nose" (which I figured I couldn't get anywhere near otherwise).

We annihilate time
Jake's "stopwatch under the tire" trick.

It's all pulled out from under
As in "rug pulled out from under." Had to find a way to allude to that saying without saying "rug," since that'd be a dead giveaway.

The Big Lebowski was #6 on the MoFo '90s List and Chinatown was #6 on the MoFo '70s List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Jaws
The Shawshank Redemption
Fellowship of the Ring
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Casablanca
Blade Runner
Citizen Kane
Dr Strangelove
Lawrence of Arabia
Alien
Rashomon

Including one not on the last list, since The Thing has shown up since Yoda said that, that's one of the last two to my mind. Which means one of the others misses out.