The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I was thinking of different films that didn't make the list (so far, anyway).
Wasn't Psycho the film where Hitchcock urged moviegoers to NOT blab the twist ending to anyone? That's the only movie I know of personally where that happened. Now I'm curious if there were others...

Been busy for a couple of days. Of the movies I missed.

LOTR ROTK : 2nd favourite LOTR film after Fellowship.

Psycho : Totally expected it to make the list. Not my favourite Hitchcock movie, but this is an iconic movie, and probably the first movie that comes to everyone's mind when we think of the great director.

Seven Samurai : Again an iconic movie. Does this mean that Rashomon doesn't make it?

Stalker : Haven't seen it.

The Matrix : Again an iconic movie and a fabulous sci-fi movie. Deserves it's place. Almost made my list.

TGTBATU : By far my favourite Western. Can never get tired it, also have to mention the great Morricone's music. This too almost made my list.

12 Angry Men : What a great movie this is. I remember watching it the first time, and being on the edge. I recently showed it to my 13 year old cousin, who has been raised on a diet of comic book films, but even she was glued to it. It shows that the movie has aged well.
Was 15th on my list.

The Shining : I always thought this was meh. I actually enjoyed Dr. Sleep more.

The Thing : I have only watched it once and it was a long while ago. I think it's decent.

Vertigo : Good flick, again not my most favourite Hitchcock film which would be Dial M.

One of the (many) reasons I love 12 Angry Men is that, during my first jury experience here in Pittsburgh, I *was* Juror #8. I learned quite a lot about the legal system through that experience, especially that I never want to be on trial opposite a jury of my peers.

TL; DR: On the third day of deliberations, with me having been the lone juror calling for a guilty verdict, one by one the other eleven folks came around to my way of thinking. It was grueling. But I stood my ground, stayed calm, and answered question after question about my reasoning.

So, this movie has always felt incredibly realistic to me, and way too plausible. Add on the amazing cast and acting, the tension created simply by the words and actions set in one small, unadorned room, and you've got a classic well worth rewatching.

Slightly disappointed to know that you aren't an Aussie Trucker, mate.

Welcome to the human race...
Wasn't Psycho the film where Hitchcock urged moviegoers to NOT blab the twist ending to anyone? That's the only movie I know of personally where that happened. Now I'm curious if there were others...
I'm thinking of films that straight-up included written messages right at the very end warning audiences against telling others about the twist. Specifically...

WARNING: "titles of movies" spoilers below
Witness for the Prosecution and Les Diaboliques

Tomorrow's hint:

The powerful always
Straddle on top of us
Both in humble home
And rightward metropolis

Damned influence flows
First by leaking down
Then shot from a hose
Until we've all drowned

But that's the wrong liquid
Compared to water, it's thicker
For one sleuthing around
Or a confused city slicker

And that part of the city
Is where no good man goes
Met there with pity
For the truth that he knows

We annihilate time
And just as rain follows thunder
In the face of their crime
It's all pulled out from under

Tomorrow's hint:

The powerful always
Straddle on top of us
Both in humble home
And rightward metropolis

Damned influence flows
First by leaking down
Then shot from a hose
Until we've all drowned

For one sleuthing around

Met there with pity

We annihilate time
Shawshank and Taxi Driver or Chinatown

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Easiest clue hint yet

Metropolis
and
City Slickers

No wait, INCEPTION !!!

Fritz Lang's Metropolis is already on the countdown. It is #73.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Tomorrow's hint:

The powerful always
Straddle on top of us
Both in humble home
And rightward metropolis

Damned influence flows
First by leaking down
Then shot from a hose
Until we've all drowned

For one sleuthing around

Met there with pity

We annihilate time
Chinatown and Blade Runner?

Fritz Lang's Metropolis is already on the countdown. It is #73.
I know that - it was just a silly post. I stopped guessing from the hints some time ago

Yes. Not only that, but he urged movie theaters not to let anyone in once the movie started.

The Thing is one of my favourite horror films of all time. I love films with single location settings that build up their stories using suspense. The snow setting and nature of the monster make for a film that's genuinely unnerving and exciting. Kurt Russell is awesome, John Carpenter's work behind the camera is top-notch and captures every frame perfectly, Ennio Morricone's score is fantastic. It didn't make my list but it's a film I admire a lot and desperately need to watch again. I also love how Tarantino recycled a lot of the successful elements from the film and created The Hateful Eight which I've seen far more times.

Probably my join-favourite Carpenter film along with Starman which might seem like an odd choice, but was a film that I really loved when I watched it.

Vertigo was in 1st place on my list. I could be wrong but I think I first watched it in 2012 when it dislodged Citizen Kane from the top of the Sight & Sound list. I think I had just gone up to my grandparents for the summer so my brother and I watched both of those films. I remember enjoying it a lot, but I wasn't completely in love with it. I've now seen it probably close to ten times, at least once a year I would guess. When I picture the film in my head the first scenes that come to mind are in the first half of the film where James Stewart is driving through San Francisco following Kim Novak as she visits the museum and then the grave. Just driving along the roads, watching her mysteriously, with the fantastic score playing in the background. Even though by now I know the plot well, these scenes still manage to be mesmirising and beautiful to me in their mysterious way. There is something very alluring and transcending about how Hitchcock manages to capture the build-up of obsession. By the time we get to some pivotal scenes like the Golden Gate bridge, we're still not sure what's going on, but we've been swept into a trance just like Scottie and there's such great power to the most intimate moments that occur. An absolute masterpiece. I think I might just watch it again tonight.

82/82 seen.

I'm going to go for Chinatown and The Big Lebowski. Here's my thinking below. The Lebowski stuff seems a little more forced so I'm probably wrong there.

Tomorrow's hint:

The powerful always
Straddle on top of us
Both in humble home
And rightward metropolis
Noah Cross in Chinatown, Mr. Lebowski in The Big Lebowski.

Damned influence flows
First by leaking down
Then shot from a hose
Until we've all drowned
Chinatown, water.

For one sleuthing around
Sounds like the Dude and maybe a reference to all the alcohol, the White Russians.

Met there with pity
Gittes general investigation leads him to some pretty dark places and he discovers some shocking things. Just generally fits in with Chinatown this.

The dude also gets chucked out of Malibu when he's trying to find out what's happened to Bunny.

We annihilate time
Those last two lines could both be a reference to the revelations that occur in Chinatown and the fact that they steal the Dude's rug in Lebowski.

The Lebowski stuff seems a little more forced so I'm probably wrong there.
I'm totally on board with that, especially the rug bit.

Still probably somehow end up being 2001 and Casablanca or something though

I hate going by taking the name from the poem's words, but last time "thing" was pretty obvious. Since it's top 20 it could be Metropolis, but Yoda's not the kind of person to pull the same trick twice. Going Chinatown and Shawshank.