The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Thing never really appealed to me so I haven't seen it, probably will do one day. Vertigo is often ranked highly on these lists but I've never understood what all the fuss is about. I've seen it once years ago and was pretty underwhelmed. I doubt it would make my top 100. My opinion might change upon a re-watch it but it's not one of my favourite Hitchcock films.

Vertigo was #4 on the MoFo '50s List while The Thing was #12 on the MoFo '80s List, #3 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List, and #2 on the MoFo Horror List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OK, I'll take a stab in the dark at the top twenty...
18. The Thing
19. Vertigo
20. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
So close...but not close at all

20. The Thing

great film, not on my list, a surprise

19. Vertigo

not a fan. maybe need to rewatch it sometime.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Still haven't forgiven myself for forgetting the Thing.

The Thing assimilated a spot on my list. All I can say about it is IT WANTS TO BE US!!!

I’m not the biggest Vertigo fan. It never really grabbed me.

Speaking of, there's this:

Everyone's Entitled to One Good Scare: The John Carpenter Club

The Clubs feature is just a small, mostly hidden option I haven't really decided how much I want to incorporate into the rest of the site. For now it'll just put a bunch of his stuff in one place and club memberships will show up on your profile.

Never saw Vertigo or The Thing the original, only the remake, which wasn't that bad.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Weirdly enough, I thought the merlot was a double meaning with the alcohol drank in The Thing.

The Thing missed out on my top 25, but it does make the top 100. I think the chess game played at the beginning of the film by MacReady (Kurt Russell) symbolizes this sci-fi horror about creatures, snow and determining who can and can't be trusted. As the tension rises, so does the body count.

And for the first time in a little while, we come across one of my list entries as Vertigo is my #12.

This Hitchcock masterpiece about a cop who retires after he becomes acrophobic and suffers from vertigo features Jimmy Stewart as a kindhearted man who goes through the wringer of emotions in this film. Kim Novak is beautiful as she plays two roles in this film. The San Francisco scenery is lovely from the Golden Gate bridge to the Mission San Juan Batista, giving some very memorable movie visuals as the film rolls on. Alfred Hitchcock's use of a dolly zoom proves to be crucial in showcasing Scottie's (Stewart) plight.

Excellent inclusions both.

Never saw Vertigo or The Thing the original, only the remake, which wasn't that bad.
The 1982 version is, itself, a remake, and the recent one is yet another version. The 1982 version is definitely the one you want, though. Great film.

The 1982 version is, itself, a remake, and the recent one is yet another version. The 1982 version is definitely the one you want, though. Great film.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3 this is 2011 version which is the one I saw

Yeah, that was pretty widely panned. It might have had some good stuff just because the premise is so good, but I'd definitely recommend checking out the 1982 version.

It's happened, everyone: a director has reached four entries. Just as the big four of Ghibli are Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro, the essential four Hitchock films are all in the list: Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo and North by Nothwest. Alfred beats Spielberg and Cameron for the top! But who knows what's going to happen? Cameron's likely had his run unless some miracle ensures that Titanic, The Abyss or (no no no) Avatar reaches the top 20.

In other news, John Carpenter joins the club with his two most famous movies (and possibly his only two five stars). Carpenter currently has the top horror movie and ended up defeating The Shining, which is the top horror movie on RYM's chart. But Alien hasn't shown up yet. Will that movie be crowned king of the horror movies? And what about sci-fi as well? Most of the essential sci-fi entries are exhausted, so it's a bit more likely that Alien will take two genres home!

IV
  • Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40), Psycho (27), Vertigo (19)
III
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
II
  • Akira Kurosawa: Ikiru (95), Seven Samurai (26)
  • Andrej Tarkovsky: Andrej Rublev (67), Stalker (25)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • David Fincher: Fight Club (52), Se7en (49)
  • John Carpenter: Halloween (44), The Thing (20)
  • Milos Forman: Amadeus (50), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (33)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)
  • Peter Jackson: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (42), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (28)
  • Robert Zemeckis: Forrest Gump (65), Back to the Future (34)
  • Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West (31), The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (23)
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Clockwork Orange (32), The Shining (21)
  • Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind (55), The Wizard of Oz (36)
Carpenter has two five-star films: Halloween and The Thing. Most people will say that The Thing is his best and I have to admit that this is one of several movies to teach me to love horror. The body horror even influenced me as a writer. However, I can't compare it to Alien or Aliens and expect it to hold up for one reason: THE CHARACTERS ARE SO DAMN FLAT. I chose Aliens over the original because it had stronger character development, and the development in the original was decent enough, but there was so little in The Thing that I can't even remember anyone's names. The closest I can get to two of the characters' names, notably Russell's and David's characters, are "Jack Burton" and "Goliath from Gargoyles." But other than that it's a flawless movie.

Vertigo is my favorite Hitchcock film and it was number 9 on my list. To be honest, I didn't expect Vertigo to beat Psycho, but I held the hope. I'm VERY glad it did, because Psycho's big problem is the lead character shift halfway through, while Vertigo boasts all of Hitchcock's notable genres and his greatest strengths in those categories, utilizing the best of his storytelling, suspense-building and visualizing mastery. I honestly get so excited talking about Vertigo that I have to go back and look for typos. Good thing I'm not actually talking.

I didn't see the 2011 one yet but I plan to. I saw the original and the remake. The original 50's movie's great, but I missed the freaky shape-shifting capabilities of the 80's version, although I was fully aware that in the 50's that wasn't yet possible. Still, easily a 9/10.

For clarification, The Thing (1982) is a remake of The Thing from Another World (1951), but The Thing (2011) is a prequel to the 1982 one.

Welcome to the human race...
The Thing was my #4. Despite my fondness for a certain eyepatch-wearing convict, I still have to give credit where credit's due and acknowledge that the story of the most untrustworthy dog in the universe is Johnny Carp's true masterpiece (for reasons that can and can't be found in the five-star rave I think can be found in the "reviews by _ MoFos" section).

Vertigo is good and if I ever get around to revisiting all the canonically untouchable Hitchcock classics then I think it stands a fighting chance of being the out-and-out winner, but as it stands I think it's solid.

Anyway, two more from my list...

I've been watching The Thing since I was a pre-teen/teen and always liked it, but it has been in the last 10 or so years that I've really internalized how well made it is. The direction is superb, the pacing is perfect, and the acting is pretty darn good. Not to mention the flawless special effects. It's one of those I never get tired of, and I've seen it looooots of times. I had it at #18.

As for Vertigo, it's my favorite Hitchcock and one of my favorite films, period. Had it at #10. I've seen it lots of times and I always find myself mesmerized by Hitchcock's direction and the way the story deals with Scottie's guilt. Stewart is excellent conveying the vulnerability and darkness of the character as he becomes more and more obsessed. I just love it.

My Summary:

Seen: 73/82
My list: 12/25

My List