*Apocalypse now
On the Waterfront
*Double Indemnity
The Master
Rashomon
*Chinatown
*Lebowski
*The Thing

This was my list WITHOUT The Thing. Which I think will make it because it's so loved here. Star my new predictions, including Lebowski since everyone bringing it up.

I'm not a fan of 12 Angry Men. I'm probably the only MoFo who dislikes it, though there use to be another here who felt the same about it. I reviewed it if anyone is interested in reading it.
I liked the film, although it's a bit of a slog. It was a unique picture when it came out. I think it's best to see it fresh, and without having heard anything about it. AND, only watching it once. The second time for me the fragrance had come off the rose. Of course most movies are not made with re-watching in mind.. What a powerhouse crew, though!

I'd like to read your review to get your take on it.

12 Angry Men is great yet I don't consider it a major personal favorite. Check out the excellent made for TV remake directed by the great William Friedkin.

Have loved The Shining since I saw it at the cinema as a kid. It's top 25 material for me but didn't get my vote this time. I've mentioned this before, but supposedly I was in the running for the part of Danny. I have no way to know for sure anymore, but I have reasons to believe it might be true. I think about it sometimes and I would've milked my celebrity for all it was worth.

Top 20 stab-not in order

Goodfellas
Godfather
Chinatown
Pulp Fiction
Dr Strangelove
Taxi Driver
Jaws
Casablanca
Shawshank
Dark Knight
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Alien
The Thing
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now
Fellowship of the Ring
Lawrence of Arabia
Citizen Kane
Vertigo

12 Angry Men is great yet I don't consider it a major personal favorite. Check out the excellent made for TV remake directed by the great William Friedkin.

Have loved The Shining since I saw it at the cinema as a kid. It's top 25 material for me but didn't get my vote this time. I've mentioned this before, but supposedly I was in the running for the part of Danny. I have no way to know for sure anymore, but I have reasons to believe it might be true. I think about it sometimes and I would've milked my celebrity for all it was worth.
That would have been one hell of an experience! Were you a child actor in other films?

That would have been one hell of an experience! Were you a child actor in other films?
No. I remember when I was little going to a mall and there was something going on with me but I can't remember details. As I got a little older my parents told me numerous times I almost got the part and then I just forgot about it for a few years. I didn't think about it again for several years and by then my parents were gone so I looked up the kid. Without looking him up again, I believe he was a first time actor who got picked at a tryout in Chicago. Well I'm from Chicago originally and I don't think my parents would have known that information.

You guys are missing one movie from those lists, Paul Blart Mall Cop , I swear to god that whole paul blart thing better be some troll job and not even step foot on the list lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Well, I meant it this way: This story is TOO LONG... you DON'T want to READ it if I write it here.

YDWTRIIIWIH fills that role quite nicely.

(am I evolving into Chyp Jr? I'm totally evolving into Chyp Jr, aren't I?)

The Adventure Starts Here!
Tomorrow's hint:

If you'd hold out for spring
You must endure winter's snows
Then expect the thing
That pride before goes
With each step it rings
You think you know them, although...
As you recoil, it sings
Meeting that gruesome merlot
Fellowship of the Ring? Could be...
Days of Wine and Roses? Nahhh...

INCEPTION!!!!

While I understand what you mean when you use the word. I don't think the word "pretentious" summarizes what your opinion of the film is as the word pretentious isn't defined by a film you found boring. I think the lines I bolded at the end of your post work just fine, really. Including the word "pretentious" might muddle your thoughts on it, y'know?

I'm just highly critical of the word pretentious, especially when it's used to criticize any weird, surreal, or strange film. Oftentimes, it just boils down to "It was kind of weird and I don't know what to make of it, so the film sucks". Yes, a film can be pretentious, but it's rarely ever used properly.
I see what you're saying, but I found the film's faults much more than just boring. Boring is the end results (for me) of a director who doesn't know how to rein in every last idea he has and instead makes a bloated film when it comes to the montage sequences. Those montage sequences go on forever, far past the point of 'OK I get it'. It's like the director had all these ideas for different montage images and needed to show just how cinematic he could be by including them all. I don't know the director's thought process of course, but I do know those really long montages pissed me off. And made me do this

Another director who did that and nearly killed a studio in the process was Michael Cimino with Heaven's Gate. A film I admire but damn if the director didn't know how to control his urges.

12 Angry Men is a film I still love and I consider five-star stuff, or five-popcorn bags, if you will. Mainly being in one location, I think that's the point: the men are trapped together for the duration of the trial and the tension in the movie comes from their disagreements. I, too, believe that Henry Fonda gives one of his greatest performances, and by that I mean that despite being a totally believable character, he also seems like he comes closest to being a character that I think Henry Fonda himself would be like. All the characters are awesome though.

I saw The Shining the night of the day it was released and I just had a lot of fun with it. Despite loving the book and being put off by Kubrick changing a lot of things (Dick Hallorann's fate chief among them), I still got a kick out of the movie. Didn't scare me at all. By this time, Nicholson was a huge star and every little tic or twitch or word from him had most of the audience snickering, not because they didn't get into his performance but because they were entertained by it. Me, too. Shelley Duvall, I thought was totally miscast as the simpering victim of a wife. I don't know. I cant explain some of my mixed feelings for this movie. I didn't like a lot of things about it, but I loved a lot of things about it. Kubrick did a great job here, and in the end, despite my complaints, I think it's a great film. I watch it every time it comes on cable.

Didn't place either on the list.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30

Have seen 65 out of the 100

I see what you're saying, but I found the film's faults much more than just boring. Boring is the end results (for me) of a director who doesn't know how to rein in every last idea he has and instead makes a bloated film when it comes to the montage sequences. Those montage sequences go on forever, far past the point of 'OK I get it'. It's like the director had all these ideas for different montage images and needed to show just how cinematic he could be by including them all. I don't know the director's thought process of course, but I do know those really long montages pissed me off. And made me do this

Another director who did that and nearly killed a studio in the process was Michael Cimino with Heaven's Gate. A film I admire but damn if the director didn't know how to control his urges.
I can understand disliking the bloat as, yeah, there is a lot of it (I'm curious as to what I'd think of the 3 hour cut which Criterion released). I personally loved the montages though. Bloated or not, I really loved the poetic direction Malick took and I'd be fine with seeing more of it, personally. But yeah, it's an acquired taste for sure and I understand why you took issue with them.

I can understand disliking the bloat as, yeah, there is a lot of it (I'm curious as to what I'd think of the 3 hour cut which Criterion released). I personally loved the montages though. Bloated or not, I really loved the poetic direction Malick took and I'd be fine with seeing more of it, personally. But yeah, it's an acquired taste for sure and I understand why you took issue with them.
Let me say this, I think The Tree of Life is nearly perfect for its intended audience and for those in tune with it's message & style of film making. I suppose one could say that about most all movies...What I'm really trying to say is, it just wasn't for me. But..I can totally see why it is so well respected.

Oh, I did end up watching the 3 hour Criterion cut on my 1st and only viewing of it. Perhaps the shorter theatrical version would be more to my liking. I've found that extended versions of almost any movie are usually not to my liking...though I often love the theatrical cut. Two examples: Dune and Blade Runner.

Let me say this, I think The Tree of Life is nearly perfect for its intended audience and for those in tune with it's message & style of film making. I suppose one could say that about most all movies...What I'm really trying to say is, it just wasn't for me. But..I can totally see why it is so well respected.

Oh, I did end up watching the 3 hour Criterion cut on my 1st and only viewing of it. Perhaps the shorter theatrical version would be more to my liking. I've found that extended versions of almost any movie are usually not to my liking...though I often love the theatrical cut. Two examples: Dune and Blade Runner.
That's certainly fair. I might share that opinion if I watch the 3 hour version.

With that being said though, I definitely recommend checking out the shorter version as you might like it more. Like you, I typically don't care much for extended versions either.

That's certainly fair. I might share that opinion if I watch the 3 hour version.

With that being said though, I definitely recommend checking out the shorter version as you might like it more. Like you, I typically don't care much for extended versions either.
I did like his Thin Red Line, though I really need a rewatch as it was like many years ago that I first watched it.