Holden Pike's Top 100 of the 2010s

Tools    

I count 93/100. Hopefully the remaining seven aren't as basic as like half the list.
They totally are, I wouldn't even bother.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Exactly the opposite of that, I expect.
Well whatever comes next I'll sure be ready for it

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I don't have them rated by stars or points or anything. But I absolutely do not think the bottom of my list is crap. Just less good than the top of the list. If for a ten year period you are including movies you don't even like just to reach a hundred that isn't a Top 100 list, that's just a list of what you have seen, I would posit.
Thanks!

FWIW, I've seen 44/100

16/25, babyyy!!

Exit Through the Gift Shop and Burning are probably the most obscure films on my list (save for Cameraperson, but I know you've already seen that one), so I recommend checking them out if you haven't already done so. Gotta spread the love for them.

Love Exit through the Gift Shop. It was one of the last ten or so I cut.

I believe I have my custom list up and working. Clicky HERE.

Note, the link above is the beta Custom Lists feature. It won't work on mobile (yet) and might be wonky, but please PM me any bug reports.

Also, if you wanna make your own, go to the Lists area, it's the big button front and center.

The trick is not minding
LaLa Land is such a satirical jab at Hollywood I cackle as I watch dazzled by its intelligence.

“*That's L.A. They worship everything, and they value nothing!”

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A very basic, US-centric list of mostly safe mainstream picks. Mixes actually good (sometimes great) films with mediocrity and blandness.

Doesn't make me feel anything. I haven't found a single exciting gem I have never heard of and can't wait to see. If anything, it only reminds me of these few dull films I've yet to see.

If you have an entire decade to cover and only 100 slots, you can definitely do a better job.

Despite my harsh critique, I do appreciate the work you put behind it, especially the writeups.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A very basic, US-centric list of mostly safe mainstream picks. Mixes actually good (sometimes great) films with mediocrity and blandness.

Doesn't make me feel anything. I haven't found a single exciting gem I have never heard of and can't wait to see. If anything, it only reminds me of these few dull films I've yet to see.

If you have an entire decade to cover and only 100 slots, you can definitely do a better job.

Despite my harsh critique, I do appreciate the work you put behind it, especially the writeups.

Doesn't make me feel anything.
What kind of emotions is someone's Top 100 supposed to make you feel, exactly?

I haven't found a single exciting gem I have never heard of and can't wait to see
I don't follow. You want to hear about a film for the first time and immediately be unable to wait to see it?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, don't worry about what I said, Pike. Your list is good. Just doesn't meet my exorbitant standards.

What kind of emotions is someone's Top 100 supposed to make you feel, exactly?
Either:
a) something like "Wow, this dude gets it!" when their list contains the majority of picks I agree with and no picks I find ridiculous in other words if I can greatly relate to the taste of the person

or

b) something like "Wow, that's a very offbeat / interesting / original list. Some films I never heard about but seem very interesting and worth checking out

It's like "your favorite film ever" thread. When somebody says it's Satantango you feel the first. When somebody says it's some obscure film from Bangladesh you never heard about it's probably the second (even if they sound like a poser). However, if they say something like Shawshank Redemption you're all like "Man, that's such a boring pick it's top 1 IMDb atm. You like it fine but why don't you watch some more films". It's tiresome and I'm so jaded to see the same picks over and over again and even more so if the picks are just mainstream American cinema.

I don't follow. You want to hear about a film for the first time and immediately be unable to wait to see it?
Absolutely! A non-cinephile wants to read about the film beforehand, think about a week whether they want to see it, and then maybe finally decide to give it a chance. I don't have time to think. If it picks my interest I watch it instantly so as to not let the excitement wane. If I wait too long, it most often ends in me losing the desire to watch it.

I think you can imagine stumbling upon a film you either never heard about or maybe heard about only once from a movement or genre you love and deciding "I was supposed to watch another Pabst today, bot nope - change of plans - I'm watching THIS instead". And then movie-watching is all nice and exciting again even after 10k films seen.

Welcome to the human race...
They totally are, I wouldn't even bother.
FWIW these are the ones I haven't watched:

The Arbor
The Muppets
In a World...
Jodorowsky's Dune
The Brand New Testament
Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter
Lady Macbeth
Tim's Vermeer

(forgot about Lady Macbeth so it's actually 92/100)

Half of those have been on my to-do list for a while and the other half sound intriguing enough that I wouldn't mind watching them. Of course, you can understand my skepticism about them being lumped in next to the likes of American Hustle or Jojo Rabbit.

Haven't seen...

Even the Rain
Hearts Beat Loud
A Star is Born
Begin Again
Peanut Butter Falcon
The Arbor
Sing Street
In a World
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (still, I know)
Edge of Seventeen
Wind River
Brand New Testement
20th Century Women
Four Lions

Some great choices here. Really happy to see Incendies and Take Shelter so high, and really glad to see Kumiko the Treasure hunter there. I love that film.

Blue Ruin and Room are great too. Roma is a bit low for me but it's a great list.

Edit: The Arbor! That's an extraordinary film, great choice.