15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
*19 Solaris (1972)
20 -
21 -
22 -
*23 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
24 -
25 My 1 pointer that Rodent must have voted for too

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was #4 on my list. It was my #1 film of the 60s, my #2 Western, contains my favorite film score, and so no surprise it is one of my all-time favorite films. I grew up watching it in the 70s and it has all these years later remained a favorite, only growing in stature in my eyes. I have three more films that are certain to make it, with the possibility of a surprise thrown in there.

My List:
1. Unforgiven (#43)
3. North by Northwest (#57)
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (#23)
10. A Clockwork Orange (#32)
15. Metropolis (#73)
21. Enter the Dragon (#97)
24. There Will Be Blood (#60)
25. Persona (#45)

OK, if we're doing predictions, here goes (no point hiding #12 anymore):

1) 100%
2) Persona
3) 8 1/2
4) Ikiru
5) Night of the Hunter
6) 100%
7) 80%
8) 50%
9) 50%
10) The Third Man
11) Rear Window
12) Out of the Past (10% maybe? Probably too optimistic)
13) 100%
14) 40%
15) Raging Bull
16) 10%
17) Sunset Boulevard
18) 90%
19) 8%
20) 3%
21) Mullholland Drive
22) 0%
23) The Apartment
24) 5%
25) 0%

Looks like I'll be seeing one more and then that's a wrap on my list...

1. Magnolia (#74)
2. 99.99%
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (#28)
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
5. Never expected it
6. Never expected it
7. Harold and Maude (#90)
8. Singin' in the Rain (#64)
9. Come and See (#54)
10. Paris, Texas (#75)
11. There Will Be Blood (#60)
12. Maybe 10% now if that
13. No
14. 1%
15. The Apartment (#84)
16. No
17. Gone With the Wind (#55)
18. No, but a few more of this director's will
19. Back to the Future (#34)
20. No
21. No, what is wrong with you people?
22. No, although I was hopeful it had a chance until about 3 reveals ago
23. City of God (#61)
24. No
25. Never in the running

The Matrix was a fine film (put me down in thinking it's a bit high, but I'm cool with it making the list), but its heady mix of sci-fi, philosophy and action wasn't quite enough to make my top 25...it would have made my top 100, however. Reloaded was about 2/3s of the way to being a solid followup until that conversation happened. And Revolutions was pretty bad.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly would make an honorable mention on my list. This western of shifting alliances, memorable lines (if you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.) and dramatic action has a great set piece towards the end and a memorable soundtrack by Enrico Morricone. In my top 5 of all time in Westerns, but like I said, it just missed out.

Top 25 Update/Predictions:

1. 100 percent
2. Gone with the Wind
3. The Wizard of Oz
4. 100 percent
5. 20 percent
6. Metropolis
7. 10 percent
8. 90 percent
9. There Will Be Blood
10. City of God
11. Sunset Boulevard
12. 50 percent
13. Night of the Hunter
14. 0 percent
15. 0 percent
16. 25 percent
17. 0 percent
18. 0 percent
19. 10 percent
20. 0 percent
21. 5 percent
22. 0 percent
23. 0 percent
24. 0 percent
25. 10 percent

So probably 9-10 films will be revealed by the end with me talking about the 15 or so that didn't. Sounds like fun!

Tomorrow's hint:

When things get heated
You can't lose your head
Overlook when mistreated
Or you'll regret what you've said

You've got to keep cool
Remain calm even when
Your enemies sic
Their cold hatchet men

But their henchmen are nothing
More than marionnettes
Your enemies? Bluffing
So don't hedge your bets

Do not court trouble
But also don't budge
For of your own conscience
You alone are the judge

I was thinking maybe The Shining because of the cold hatchet line. I think these two are likely but not sure how all the lines fit.
I think the "lose your head... Overlook when mistreated" line is fairly obvious.

Tomorrow's hint:

When things get heated
You can't lose your head
Overlook when mistreated

You've got to keep cool
Remain calm even when
Your enemies sic
Their cold hatchet men

More than marionnettes
Your enemies? Bluffing
So don't hedge your bets

Do not court trouble
But also don't budge
You alone are the judge
Blade Runner and Rashōmon?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Without singling you out or sounding like I'm directly arguing with you...this is kind of what I always say, preemptively, to people who dump on The Matrix or, say, a Christopher Nolan film: I ask them how much they're criticizing the film itself, and how much their distaste for teenage moviegoers who're blown away by it is being smuggled into their assessment, and whether they're trying to provide some kind of critical counterweight to that.
Since this is something of a tangent from our discussion elsewhere of Nolan, I'll assume the position.

I had a similar experience as kgaard, slightly older than "teenage" when the film was released. At the time, it was almost a relief that the film wasn't garbage (the initial trailers had little indication of the sci-fi premise), and it turned out to be great fun and a lot more interesting. It was similar to Dark City from the prior year, a film that was under-the-radar but proved to be a gem and garnered a cult following. I see these two films as birds of a feather. That's how I felt about Matrix at the time, great fun and an unexpected gem. 1999 was a fantastic year for cinema though, and it didn't make my top ten or anything.

Matrix is certainly a zeitgeist-triggering film. As Iroquis pointed out, it neatly channeled so many strains of relevant culture - anime, video games, PKD, John Woo - that's it's very easy to see why it would be a Rosetta stone for so many styles and concepts. I will admit that I've had to sit through more than a few dozen arid dissertations on the supposed profundity of the film in various states of psychotropia, but I'm not judging the film based on that. And luckily, Revelations put an end to that, at least temporarily, because it was the best demonstration that Neo had no new clothes.

And so that's why my judgement is ultimately on the film, rather than its apostles, because despite the excellence of its ability to converge all of these aspects of sci-fi and philosophy as touchstones, in the end, they are just window dressing on an above-average action film. It's pretentious in a literal sense, it pretends to have a meta-significance that never materializes. Maybe in that sense you can say that I'm judging the film on the sequels, because they prove how flaccid its propositions were, as much as the heady theories of the growing cult around the film., and I'm not honestly sure I can divorce all of these elements. The trend of a filmmaker dangling revelation as a superficial bluff (and JJ Abrams is as guilty as Shyamalan of this) only to evaporate into stale woo* has been one of the worst trends in 21st century sci-fi entertainment, and Matrix happens to be the template for this formula. Maybe that's also unfair, but this association happens to be how The Matrix became shorthand for these kinds of entertainment based around a revelatory bluff. (And, ftr, I do not include Nolan in this category, as he, more often than not, supplies the goods on the back-end.)

The film is still a lot of fun, precisely when not taken very seriously, but it also has some unfortunate aspects that seem market-driven to appeal to teenage disaffection. Some scenes, like the wall of guns at the end, are just embarrassingly juvenile. Anyway, I think there are some built-in appeals in the film that definitely seem to signal "despondent teen" even if I never had a despondent teen chew my ears off about The SimulationTM like it's the next One Truth. Anyway. Too high, imho.

(*"stale woo" is also my nickname for Dr. Cornel West's hairdo.)

Tomorrow's hint:

When things get heated
You can't lose your head
Overlook when mistreated

You've got to keep cool
Remain calm even when
Your enemies sic
Their cold hatchet men

More than marionnettes
Your enemies? Bluffing
So don't hedge your bets

Do not court trouble
But also don't budge
You alone are the judge
1st Part - The Shining or Pulp Fiction
2nd Part - 12 Angry Men or Reservoir Dogs

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I think the "lose your head... Overlook when mistreated" line is fairly obvious.
Also hedge your bets. Running through the maze hedges. I think The Shining.

I will go with Shawshank because it is the first that came to mind but 12 Angry Men wouldn't surprise.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
the romance between Neo and Trinity was far too underdeveloped for the final act's resolution to work, but I've grown to appreciate The Matrix more over time.
I think in a way, you're right about this (but a lot of movie romances are underdeveloped when you really look at them - many action movies have far more token love interests). But in another way, the key scene between the two of them isn't the resolution, it's the scene a bit earlier when Cypher is on the phone to Trinity and asks her to look into Neo's eyes and tell him yes or no - the whole question of whether he is or isn't 'the one' has a whole different emotional dimension for her as she is trying to figure out whether she loves him or whether her feelings are misplaced. That's the bit that always gets me, anyway.

I think in a way, you're right about this (but a lot of movie romances are underdeveloped when you really look at them - many action movies have far more token love interests). But in another way, the key scene between the two of them isn't the resolution, it's the scene a bit earlier when Cypher is on the phone to Trinity and asks her to look into Neo's eyes and tell him yes or no - the whole question of whether he is or isn't 'the one' has a whole different emotional dimension for her as she is trying to figure out whether she loves him or whether her feelings are misplaced. That's the bit that always gets me, anyway.
It's been a while since I've seen the film, so I don't remember that scene. If it's on youtube or elsewhere, could you link it here, perhaps? It might be interesting to watch.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomorrow's hint:

When things get heated
You can't lose your head
Overlook when mistreated

You've got to keep cool
Remain calm even when
Your enemies sic
Their cold hatchet men

More than marionnettes