The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I’m currently on a Star Wars binge and have just reached Empire Strikes Back and it’s the next one up...

I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do like the universe a lot and especially the charm and style of the original trilogy. Newer entries are mostly misses to me or merely decent entertainment. I remember liking Empire a whole lot, though I have only seen it in full once. The original I’ve seen three times now and I very much enjoy it. So I’m excited to see where the second one ranks on this rewatch. But yeah, that also means I did not vote for this one.

As for Se7en I’ve always admired it. Thought it was a pretty darn great thriller and one of the best in the genre. With my last revisit, it was pretty much perfect all around. It’s so deliciously filthy, so amazingly atmospheric and I love being in the world that Finder has created here... that it has a great freaking cast takes it even higher. So yes... this was on my list.

# 46
Zodiac 2007 David Fincher
# 41
Se7en 1995 David Fincher
# 4

Once Upon a Time in the West ‘C'era una volta il West’ 1968 Sergio Leone

Theme

Fincher is one my favorite directors, Se7en was another last minute cut, great film that never left my top 50 since I saw it in the theatre. Same goes for Zodiac. The Empire Strikes Back is my 4th favorite Star Wars film, (Star Wars, ROTJ, RogueOne).
Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Western of all time, iconic, epic, Western Opera, with a score for the heavens, my #8.

Seen: 61/72

Ballot: 9/25
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1992 (71)
3. The Godfather: Part II 1974 (35)
4. The Terminator 1984 (56)
5. Back to the Future 1985 (34)
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)
8. Once Upon a Time in the West 1968 (31)
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002 (42)
20. Rear Window 1954 (40)
23. Star Wars 1977 (78)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nowadays it's usually taken for granted that people think that The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the series, but I still don't buy it personally. Sure, the sequel is more-serious and darker, more-operatic, introduces the Jedi Yoda, and has one of the greatest reveals in film history, but it's just not really all that fun and then it ends anti-climatically. I love The Empire Strikes Back, but I love Star Wars much more. I saw The Empire Strikes Back the first day at the theatre, and I knew the twist ending. I didn't believe it until I actually saw it for myself, but Cinefantastique, a magazine my brother and I regularly read, and my bro later wrote for, had done the unforgivable and revealed it. It didn't really take away from the experience though because the photography and sound is so all-enveloping in that scene, but it was a bit disappointing after the fact. It didn't make me boycott the magazine, and they were better at reveals in the future. Besides, I don't think many people read that issue before the release.

SE7EN gets better with each viewing. Of all the movies made since 1995, this one probably has the best script which built upon itself and will probably always remain excellent, upon first viewing or reviewings. i have a hangup about Kevin Spacey winning an Oscar for what I consider a child's play movie (The Usual Suspects) compared to this one, not only where he has more to do, but what he does is much more difficult to predict. Brad Pitt gives a super strong performance. There is no way for SE7EN to be anywhere near as good as it is unless Pitt sells his blowhard, I know the way things are, you don't have to try to protect me, macho character, and he seals him right up to the payoff [the best box scene ever made.] Morgan Freeman and Gwyneth Paltrow are equally excellent. As far as scenes not usually mentioned, I love the photography and editing where Freeman researches the Deadly Sins.

And don't forget " Network", arguably the best of his.

EDIT: lol, skepsis beat me to it.
Yeah, but I still think Dog Day has more chance, if any, than Network.

I won't be able to update the list for a couple hours. If anyone else wants to do it right now feel free.

Fincher rocks.

SE7EN gets better with each viewing. Of all the movies made since 1995, this one probably has the best script which built upon itself and will probably always remain excellent, upon first viewing or reviewings. i have a hangup about Kevin Spacey winning an Oscar for what I consider a child's play movie (The Usual Suspects) compared to this one, not only where he has more to do, but what he does is much more difficult to predict. Brad Pitt gives a super strong performance. There is no way for SE7EN to be anywhere near as good as it is unless Pitt sells his blowhard, I know the way things are, you don't have to try to protect me, macho character, and he seals him right up to the payoff [the best box scene ever made.] Morgan Freeman and Gwyneth Paltrow are equally excellent. As far as scenes not usually mentioned, I love the photography and editing where Freeman researches the Deadly Sins.
I've read a couple of really interesting things about how Fincher and Darius Khondji played with lights in that scene (and the whole film). If I can find it, I'll share it here.

Three days behind, so here goes:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a classic. It's been ages since I've seen it so I don't have much to say other than it didn't make my list.

Back to the Future is so fantastic - one of my favorite films ever. The rare 80s film that justifies the nostalgia it generates. If this were a list of favorite as opposed to top films, it would have been on my list.

A Clockwork Orange is one I have not seen in so long I can't fairly comment on it. It's Kubrick, so I'm sure it's great, but it never stood out to me much despite its cultural rep.

Once Upon a Time in the West easily could have made my list. I think it's Leone's best, even more of a masterpiece than TGTBATU. Stand-out performances combined with an extremely well-realized vision of Leone's style. And Claudia Cardinale. Wow.

Empire Strikes Back is the best Star War films and a lot of fun. Definitely a classic and would have been the Star Wars film on my list had one come close to making it.

Se7en is another I haven't seen in so long its hard to comment. I think I saw it in the theater. I do love Fincher, so maybe it's worth a revisit.

Empire is the SW that made my list although if it were up to me I’d put the OT and Mandarloian on the top 100.

Se7en didn’t make my list but it might be my favorite Fincher, though Zodiac might give it a run for its money if I took the time to compare them. Also Fincher fans don’t sleep on Mindhunter.

Se7en : Saying it's just a detective movie is an understatement. Huge Freeman and Pitt. I think it will never get out of my top 25.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Seven actually popped up on UK Netflix in the past week or so. Ended up watching it thinking it would have diminished somewhat but it hasn't. It would have been my top 50 certainly.

I absolutely love the fact that it's near impossible to tell which city it takes place in, and even when you know the answer it doesn't fit at all with previous films set there.

I absolutely love the fact that it's near impossible to tell which city it takes place in, and even when you know the answer it doesn't fit at all with previous films set there.

Good point. I was thinking LA, but to much rain. Then some scenes look like Jersey. The power grid looks like NoCal. Was it ever revealed where the film was set?

Se7en was definitely there during that transitory period for me to more mature cinema and probably still packs a punch although I haven't had time to revisit in a while, but I doubt I'd enjoy it as much as Zodiac.

Empire is okay too.

Welcome to the human race...
A lot of people on this site think it is overrated. though, including myself.
Overrated films have been making this list since it started.

Se7en was one of my favorites as I made the shift from gateway to classic film. I don't know how well it would hold up if I were to rewatch it, but it's definitely a strong film. It knows how to pack a real punch in terms of suspense and shocking the audience and the final act is fantastic, in particular. Not my favorite Fincher, but top 3, certainly.

It's been a while since I've seen the original Star Wars trilogy, so I'd have to rewatch it to say anything substantial on it Although, I haven't felt a strong desire to do so for a while. Not a huge [i]Star Wars[/I} fan, I must admit.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
John-Connor is @resopamenic!

BUSTED!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm a dyed in the wool Star Trek fan, except for the latest stuff. So I have no room for the Star Wars universe in my crowded head But I do like the first three Star Wars films and this one is my fav of that original bunch...

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Obviously the director Irvin Kershner took The Empire Strikes Back much more seriously than George Lucas did on the 1st Star Wars movie and that makes all the difference.

The actors played their roles like the story was real. Gone was the camp style acting of the 1st film. This time around the characters weren't two dimensional but were flushed out with believable personalities. Even the sets looked much cooler and realer too. The entire production was polished and taken to a more serious level. I especially liked the ice planet...and the carbon freezing scene is the stuff of movie legends.

However....Gawd! R2D2 was annoying in this! C3PO was actually OK and adds a different viewpoint...but all those cute sounds coming from R2D2 made me fell like it was made for 10 years old.

When we first meet Yoda, he looks like a comical Muppet stealing food from Luke. The entire first meeting sequences is not dignified for the most powerful character in the entire Star Wars universe. Luckily after that first dismal scene, Yoda becomes the wise master of the Force. Overall a fun movie and well done!

When I was growing up I loved the Star Wars films. I used to be a big fan of anything set in some sort of fantasy world and usually ended up buying a lot of Lego for them. I remember everything month I would try and save money for new sets or use Birthdays and Christmas. Empire Strikes Back I think has always been my favourite. It has lots of Vader and some of the series most iconic scenes, I loved the expansion of the Universe and introduction of smaller but memorable characters like Lando Calrissian and Boba Fett.

I actually watched the first two films again last year, as my Star Wars fever was reignited after watching the first season of The Mandalorian. I enjoyed them both but must admit that I don't find them to be absolute cinematic greats like some others, but I still had a lot of love for them.

I sound like I'm repeating myself a lot in this thread but Seven (I'm sorry but I refuse to write it with the number in it) was a film I liked a lot when I first got into films and gave me my first realisation that there were people with distinctive visions behind certain films that made them more watchable than your standard stuff. I don't have much to add beyond what's said, everyone knows its strengths by now.

My personal favourite Fincher films are Gone Girl and Zodiac but they won't show up now.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Good point. I was thinking LA, but to much rain. Then some scenes look like Jersey. The power grid looks like NoCal. Was it ever revealed where the film was set?
WARNING: "city" spoilers below
It is LA, I almost couldn't believe it, I'm not sure however whether or not they used any other locations.