Who do you prefer: Nolan or Mendes?
77.78%
14 votes
Christopher Nolan
22.22%
4 votes
Sam Mendes
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

There was an option on the New Topic page. I'll add one now, though.
Ty, would you agree that Nolan can be put in the same level as Cameron, Villenueve, Wright, Jackson, Lucas, Del Toro and maybe Fincher?

I think he's more like on this tier of directing rather than QT's and PTA.

I don't think much of some of those guys and would, of course, have my own separate tier list, but yeah I'd mostly agree that he's not an all-time great or anything. But I think he does some things really well that are really valuable, and I'd rather celebrate him for that than give him guff for the things he's clearly less interested in doing. I think of him, at least when I've got on my Criticism hat, the same way I'd think of someone like Malick, in that he has clear strengths and clear weaknesses. The difference being, I don't think making cold, puzzley, high-concept films is inherently inferior to make emotionally potent (but sometimes narratively weak) films.

I haven't seen a few of their films (Dunkirk, Tenet, Jarhead, 1917), but based on what I've seen, Nolan has both the strongest film from the bunch (Memento) and the weakest (Interstellar).

If I were to rank what I've seen from each...

NOLAN - Memento
NOLAN - The Prestige
MENDES - American Beauty
MENDES - Road to Perdition
NOLAN - Inception
NOLAN - Insomnia
NOLAN - Following
MENDES - Revolutionary Road
MENDES - Spectre
NOLAN - Batman Begins
NOLAN - The Dark Knight
MENDES - Skyfall
NOLAN - The Dark Knight Rises
NOLAN - Interstellar

Yeah, I'm not a huge, huge fan of The Dark Knight trilogy.

I'm kinda tickled by the idea of comparing various directors by ranking their respective films, interspersed, like that. Good way to actually decide who to choose, even, as much as explain said choice.

I don't think much of some of those guys and would, of course, have my own separate tier list, but yeah I'd mostly agree that he's not an all-time great or anything. But I think he does some things really well that are really valuable, and I'd rather celebrate him for that than give him guff for the things he's clearly less interested in doing. I think of him, at least when I've got on my Criticism hat, the same way I'd think of someone like Malick, in that he has clear strengths and clear weaknesses. The difference being, I don't think making cold, puzzley, high-concept films is inherently inferior to make emotionally potent (but sometimes narratively weak) films.
I would agree with that, but I don't think much of these guys can be compared with the likes of Coppola, Lynch etc.

For example, Cameron's strenght is technology, but his storytelling is pretty basic and accessible, same I could say with Del Toro. Like Blade 2 and Hellboy films etc. Jackson and Fincher had some misses with Alien 3 and The Lovely Bones but I think the latter attention to details makes him stand out above the rest.

I rewatched Skyfall and the movie really looks like Nolan style, with all the tropes regarding fights, the villain getting captured etc.

Welcome to the human race...
This seems like even more of a stretch than the Nolan-versus-Fincher thread. What's next, Nolan versus Kelly Reichardt?

I've not seen that one, is it a Nolan or a Mendes?

I own more Nolan films than Mendes so I voted Nolan.
Lol. XD

I rewatched The Dark Knight and Skyfall, and honestly as grounded as they are, the plot is very dynamic and thrilling, with one villain having a grand scale plan and one having small plans and also a clear goal. I can see the Nolan's influence on Mendes' lastest work.

I think the bumps have been sufficient. I imagine most people inclined to comment have seen the thread by now.

It might do to throw out some ideas that prompt discussion beyond just the choice, but it's also possible people just don't have a lot to say about it.