A Song For January

Tools    

Still @honeykid, @CaptainT and @ynwtf to vote (and @cat_sidhe to include all the songs in her votes ) .....

@cat_sidhe hated my nom so much that she didn't even include it in her ranking

Omg! I listened to it and even had a discussion with Mr Cat about it. Ugh...lemme reorganise! Sorry about that!

David Bowie - Life On Mars? - It's Bowie's Life On Mars.

Jorja Smith - Blue Lights - Now that worked for me. Old skool sound and a very 80's feel to the lyrics. Thanks for making me aware of this artist.

King's X - Prisoner - This is OK. Nothing earth shattering or anything, but easy enough to listen to and that's going to score well in this round with me.

Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick - It's such a simple riff. But so effective. I have to admit being one of those people who looked skyward at rock concerts when the rest of the band walk off stage leaving the drummer and bassist (if you're lucky) and you get 5 minutes of drum solo. But so far there isn't much to challenge this and I do love that riff.

CHAI - N.E.O. - I don't know how much of it I'd like to listen to, but I liked to listen to this much of it.

Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now - I've heard a couple of her songs now and this is the least, but still an ok pop song.

Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses - This reminds me of being at my grandparents. That is both good and bad.

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) - I really don't like Radiohead. That said there are a few of their songs which I really do like. Love even. This isn't one of them but the fade out refrain stays with me long after the song (finally) ends.

Akua Naru - Sweat § (alt if needed) - This just didn't work for me. I don't know why. I almost feel as if I should like it more than I did or something. Odd.

Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic) - It's mellow, but I'm definitely thinking country still isn't for me. Prefer it to the first though.

Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds - Sorry, I just can't take that vocal seriously. I suspect if I watched the videos of these songs this might do worse.

Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner - Sorry guys, on this evidence it appears you were just posting better country songs.

Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization - This ain't me either. Not sure where I'm going to put it though. One of those which will depend on everything else more than its own merits for me.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
1. David Bowie - Life On Mars?
Seriously. Bowie. Why every track isn't one of his is mesmerizing.

2. CHAI - N.E.O.
Just adorable. I love their message, and they're clearly having fun in the faces of a culture and industry that say that they shouldn't.

3. Radiohead - Street Spirit
Can rarely go wrong with Radiohead. Loved this track.

4. Akua Naru - Sweat
Smooth stuff.

5. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere
I much prefer a live (acoustic) set from a country performer, sans lights, staging, and a performance. Her guitar skills are far better than I ever hope to develop and her voice, here, is sweet and pure. Really nice stuff here. Nice selection. Keep posting stuff like this and you might make a convert out of me yet.

6. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Pretty great without vocals!

7. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
I like this. A lot. But it does kind of stay on the same level for much too long. The last 40 seconds or so needed to happen about a minute or two earlier.

8. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
While I'm not a fan of his voice (maybe it just needs a nudge of better production?), this song feels authentic to me. I just checked the dates on this group and that makes sense with what I'm hearing. I'd listen to this every day over a lot of contemporary folk that's been so popular in commercials this past decade. I won't comment on the pop country as I think I've beaten, resurrected, and zombified that particular horse a few times now already.

9. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
Nothing much to say. It's Jim Reeves.

10. King's X - Prisoner
I could never really get into King's X. Friends loved them, but Iderno.

11. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
Cute melody. Catchy pop. I'm actually interested in her voice. She seems to have a good range, but I think the song is too safe and predictable, considering the potential I'm hearing in her voice here. The video does not help, IMO.

12. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
Yikes! I'm usually pretty good with the sound of traditional pop music of this time. I love the orchestration of borderline big jazz swing and the typical playful harmonies of the female vocals. Just this particular track pushes too many buttons for me to enjoy.

13. Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds
o.O

Round 4:
1. David Bowie - Life On Mars?
2. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
3. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
4. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
5. King's X - Prisoner
6. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
7. Akua Naru - Sweat
8. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
9. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)
10. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
11. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
12. CHAI - N.E.O.
13. Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds

All voted again

1st - David Bowie - Life On Mars? (146 pts)

2nd - Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) (111 pts)
3rd - Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick (101 pts)
4th - Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (100 pts)
5th - Jorja Smith - Blue Lights (97 pts)
6th - Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses (95 pts)
7th - Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner (91 pts)
7th - Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization (91 pts)
9th - King's X - Prisoner (82 pts)
10th - Akua Naru - Sweat (80 pts)
11th - CHAI - N.E.O. (80 pts)
12th - Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now (62 pts)
13th - Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds (47 pts)

Grats to honeykid on getting one through to the Final

Round five up in a half hour or so...

John-Connor and Sedai both opt out but Captain Spaulding is back

1. Nothing but Thieves - Phobia [Wuh Oh Remix]
  2. Soda Stereo - Luna Roja
  3. Jambo - Try
  4. Leon Bridges - River
  5. Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - Cocaine Cat
  6. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart
  7. Led Zeppelin - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
  8. Billy Joe Shaver - Live Forever
  9. Solitude Aeturnus - Mirror of Sorrow
  10. Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
  11. The KLF - 3am
  12. Michael Crawford - Somewhere In Time

My R6 nom:
Still Corners - Fade Out

1. Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
2. Billy Joe Shaver - Live Forever
3. Leon Bridges - River
4. Led Zeppelin - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
5. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart
6. Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - Cocaine Cat
7. The KLF - 3am
8. Nothing but Thieves - Phobia [Wuh Oh Remix]
9. Michael Crawford - Somewhere In Time
10. Soda Stereo - Luna Roja
11. Solitude Aeturnus - Mirror of Sorrow
12. Jambo - Try

All decent songs, it was hard to rank.

1. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart
2. Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - Cocaine Cat (hypnotically good)
3. Jambo - Try (hypnotic crescendo and manly rap)
4. Solitude Aeturnus - Mirror of Sorrow (nice instrumentals and melodic singing beautiful voice)
5. Nothing but Thieves - Phobia [Wuh Oh Remix] (nice beat and crass guitars giving some edge)
6. Leon Bridges - River (mellow voice and nice instrumentals, slight drag on chorus though)
7. The KLF - 3am (it transcends early 90s beat in a good way)
8. Billy Joe Shaver - Live Forever (nice country song)
9. Soda Stereo - Luna Roja (decent rock)
10. Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (I could barely hear it though)
11. Led Zeppelin - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (a bit repetitive though)
12. Michael Crawford - Somewhere In Time (too sappy though)

My R6 nom:
J. Balvin, Dua Lipa, Bad Bunny, Tainy - Un Dia (One Day)

Round 5

1. Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - Cocaine Cat
2. Led Zeppelin - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
3. Billy Joe Shaver - Live Forever
4. Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
5. Leon Bridges - River
6. The KLF - 3 a.m.
7. Solitude Aeturnus - Mirror of Sorrow
8. Soda Stereo - Luna Roja (original link unavailable in U.S. so went with this one; guessing it's a suitable alternative since it appears to be the band's official YT page)
9. Dua Lipa - Break My Heart
10. Jambo - Try
11. Nothing But Thieves - Phobia [Wuh Oh Remix]
12. Michael Crawford - Somewhere in Time