MISCELLANEOUS

Tools    

Does anyone know what the heck “cheersin” means?

You're not the first one to ask! LOL!
Got a box of donuts for my family last week - both my brother and mother said, "'Cheersin'??? What does that mean?"

⬆️ I love words, but this one is driving me nuts. Gone to the source to ask them & will report back.

⬆️ I love words, but this one is driving me nuts. Gone to the source to ask them & will report back.
I think it has something to do with the company changing it's name to just "Dunkin'".

Covid warning! Covid warning!

*joking I'm sure you gave it to your husband or family member (the cottage cheese that is)!
I don’t eat food from the containers!

Why is it so messy to simply re-pot an indoor plant? Didn’t help this morning that the first thing I did was tip the open bag of potting soil onto the kitchen floor. Oh, my, I sure did make a mess. Just hoping I didn’t kill the plant.

Surprising how many apartments I walk by who run their air conditioning when it’s freezing outside. Today is 38 degrees & I could hear ACs running.

Came across this previously-unseen photo of Lennon + family taken at the Dakota in December 1975. Lennon took a 5-year sabbatical to be with Sean, his son, full-time.

It’s a terrific photograph.

Forty years since Lennon’s murder.

Yikes, there’s nothing worse than seeing this on the weather channel. Fills me with horror.

I was a member of my Boy Scout troop for a number of years. Though I sometimes felt like an outcast in it, I also talked to a number of people there and really liked the troop overall. I got a lot out of it which benefitted me in high school, right now in college, and I imagine more so in the future. In Boy Scouts, you can become an Eagle Scout, except it's not easy to achieve this. It's estimated that only 4% of Boy Scouts earn this rank. Factoring in the amount of people who aren't Boy Scouts though, the percentage of people with this rank is even smaller. When I first joined the troop, I had no intention of achieving this rank. It seemed way too hard, so I decided to not even attempt it.

However, this was before I met an elderly gentleman in my Boy Scout troop named Mr. Bill Vasilides, or Mr. V, as we called him. He was a Korean War veteran who was part of the troop for many years. Though he didn't have any children who were current members of the troop, he liked helping out the boys. He was a really nice man and his presence was greatly appreciated by everyone, me included. After I told him I had no intention of becoming an Eagle Scout as I thought it was too much of a commitment, he responded with "What commitment?" and gave me quite a bit of encouragement to achieve the rank. The longer I stayed in the troop and the more I talked to him, the more interested I was in becoming an Eagle Scout. Eventually, I was fully set on becoming an Eagle Scout, with his encouragement to guide me along the way. I also chose him as my mentor when I went about completing my Eagle Project, in fact. Eventually, on July 6th, 2017, I completed my final board of review and earned the rank of an Eagle Scout. I believe that, without Mr. V's encouragement and guidance, I wouldn't have ever earned this rank.

A few years ago, I was saddened to learn that he was diagnosed with cancer. Hearing that news for the first time felt as if I had the wind knocked out of me. In spite of that, however, he was strong and he kept fighting it. At one point, my entire troop went to visit him and his wife at his house. I could tell he was deeply moved by the experience. That was the last time I met him in person though. He passed away on January 6th, 2021. Earlier today, I went to his memorial service. While there, I got to meet his family and many members of my troop from current and past generations. It was nice seeing them all show up and getting to meet them as I haven't talked to a few of them in many years. Overall, it was a somber atmosphere and though his death greatly saddens me, I want to let you all know that he was a wonderful and kind-hearted man. He helped me out a lot in Boy Scouts and in my life. I'll never forget him. Rest in peace, Mr. V.

@SpelingError Thanks for posting such a nice, heartfelt post. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like your Eagle Scout mentor was a positive influence on you, an all around nice guy.
Thanks, Citizen! That means a lot.

Interesting statistic: According to the New York Times, 90,000 packages (Fedx, et al.) are lost or stolen every day in New York City. Staggering.

Interesting statistic: According to the New York Times, 90,000 packages (Fedx, et al.) are lost or stolen every day in New York City. Staggering.
The sender needs to utilize Adult Signature Required service for Fedex or UPS, otherwise they will leave the packages on the doorstep unattended, which invites theft.

The sender needs to utilize Adult Signature Required service for Fedex or UPS, otherwise they will leave the packages on the doorstep unattended, which invites theft.
Nobody in the city is gonna do this. (I also detest anything that needs a signature.)

Many places in the city don’t have a package room or a doorman or a front desk where stuff can safely be left. And the locked mailboxes in the foyer are too small.

One solution is to have one’s packages delivered to the nearest fedx office, but even this could be a hassle as most New Yorkers don’t drive.