The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Watch all Jurassic Park movies will make the list lol, I don't personally see that happening though, if any JP movie was to make the list it's probably going to be the first one.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom or we riot!

Rear Window is the only pre 70's movie I've seen at the cinema and it was awesome. The next time I watched it I didn't think much of it. The next time I watched it I liked it a good amount.

Seen Spirited Away twice. I like the beginning OK but then it just loses me. Just not my kind of movie. From that director I only like 2 less, Ponyo and something else I can't think of what it's called.

Starting to think neither of them will be Mary Poppins Returns

Rear Window is of course a classic and definitely deserves to be on the list. I voted for another Hitch though, but this is great too. Love me some Jimmy Stewart and this has Hitchcock written all over it. Very enjoyable film.

As for Spirited Away, I’m not the biggest anime guy.. I like or love some though. But this one has never been in the “love” end of things. I like it, though I think I admire it a lot more than outright loving it. Impressive work in many ways, but far from a favorite. I can see why it’s on the list though.

I have seen Spirited Away and loved it.. My favorite Myazaki film.

Never seen Rear Window and really doubt it would be one I would enjoy.

From the three days I missed.
Halloween is okay-ish. I never really got into it.
Expected Unforgiven and Schindler's List (probably Spielberg's best) to be making the list. Both good films, so that's not a surprise.

Slightly surprised with Two Towers and Rear Window making it. Both good films (good enough to make the list), but I expected only Fellowship to make it (it still might) and be the only LOTR to make it. And I expected Hitchcock's other movies to make it over Rear Window. But glad it did. And Grace Kelly is

Now Spirited Away was my first Studio Ghibli movie and it's just plain mesmerising. I can't remember a single moment where I got bored, or even took my eyes off the screen. It was in my list at 19, but there's another Studio Ghibli movie placed just above it. I doubt whether it will make the list.

I didn't vote for the Two Towers despite being a major character.

That's okay. You were dealing with memory issues at that time.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The majority of them, a few minutes. A few just came right out. But the time spent on them has definitely been rising, usually less because of the actual words and more because it's hard to give away enough to make guesses plausible without making them too easy.

The one I'm posting today is probably the one that took the most time.
Totally the same reaction for me as my coffee consumption increases throughout the day.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Spirited Away is a visual treat, but I prefer the simple innocence of My Neighbor Totoro. Spirited Away is a bit all over the place, IMO, and the more I watch it the more disconnected its pieces feel. Neither landed in my top 25 and, the more I think on it, I may have listed Spirited Away above My Neighbor Totoro in my 100 for the spectacle of it. Just goes to show how wonky my priorities can be! That list is still a work in progress so I may just go punish it for the hell of it now.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Inception!

No, wait...

Beauty and the Beast
and
It's a Wonderful Life!

There you go... no, wait... INCEPTION and ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST!

Or, you know, not...

The Adventure Starts Here!
I keep zeroing in on the "Cursing won't help you" and wondering whether he means swearing... or that someone is under a curse. Hence the Beauty and the Beast guess because I blanked on any other movies where someone is under a curse. (Plus, the castle has corridors Belle is not supposed to visit. Yeah, it's a stretch...)

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Spirited Away was my #9 and I'm glad it made the list.

Tomorrow's hint:

Enter a world
Where monstrous things walk
Where boats can take flight
And lizards can talk
A place of great danger
Every corridor fraught
And cursing won't help you
Believe it or not

Or where living is lovely
If tricky sometimes
A place full of wonder
Where despair is a crime
Where life is like music
Each chime forms a tune
Where you reach for the stars
But are content with the moon
The second one is It's a Wonderful Life
The first? Howl's Moving Castle

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Rear Window is another great movie that didn't make my list. Hitchcock made too many great movies, so I had to pick only 1 or 2 for my list, and Rear Window just didn't make the cut. Having said that, I would have been shocked if it didn't make the countdown.

I watched Spirited Away for the Animation Countdown, but I think it just didn't make much sense to me at the time. (That seems to be a common issue for me with some anime movies.) I rewatched it for this countdown, but it still just doesn't seem to sink in for me. I just don't understand the spirit world.

All right! This one made my list. Rear Window is my favorite Hitchcock movie and I, too, was blessed enough to see it at the cinema (even after having seen it several times on TV) when it and several other of Hitch's films were re-released in the early-to-mid-80s. I can't top what others have said about it already but I will say what others have touched on: Grace Kelly!

I like Miyazaki but Princess Mononoke is my favorite. Nothing by him made my list, though.

19.The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25.Die Hard #63
14.Rear Window #40

Seen 48 out of the 100

Whoops. And somehow I neglected to mention a few reveals ago that I had Eastwood's masterpiece Unforgiven on my ballot, though down towards the bottom at twenty-three. My three little points didn't help it too too much, I reckon, other than landing it one spot higher than Halloween on the countdown. But it is too important a picture to me to have left it off of my list. A beautiful and near-perfect movie, still takes my breath away after dozens and dozens of viewings.

That makes five of mine, thus far.

HOLDEN'S LIST
10. Singin’ in the Rain (#64)
15. North by Northwest (#57)
16. Young Frankenstein (#77)
19. Brazil (#100)
23. Unforgiven (#43)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra