24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Robert Tessler. I best remember him playing the "I broke his f@ckin neck" guy in The Longest Yard .
But yeah, the lawless boxing was pretty d@mn good.
I have yet to see The Longest Yard, one of these days! You know I liked Robert Tessler as an actor as he had this almost friendly demeanor about him.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have yet to see The Longest Yard, one of these days! You know I liked Robert Tessler as an actor as he had this almost friendly demeanor about him.
He definitely enjoyed his work and understood it was just work

In a Glass Cage (1986)

I'll start with my old review. It's a little over two years old and was written in response to my first viewing of the film. It's not a very good review, but it'll save me some typing none the less.

In a Glass Cage - review from August 2018  

It's not an easy task to combine a compelling story and an arthouse film that dwells in symbolism and vague, personal interpretations. In a Glass Cage goes from a thriller to horror to unashamed arthouse and never misses a step. There's nothing forced in these style changes; the film just gradually becomes more abstract, and you don't even know when the change happened.

People have written about its connection to post-Franco Spain, but I don't think you need that specific background to give the film meaning. Violence breeding violence and the temptation of evil are universal enough themes for anyone to grasp. We all feel that life is out of our control at times, that we're trapped in a cage of someone else's making.

After the rewatch, I can safely say that In a Glass Cage takes the title of the best debut film away from The Reflecting Skin. It's simply amazing that a first-timer has managed to craft almost a flawless film from such a difficult subject.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Whisperers

Overall it was a pretty frustrating movie to watch. When I had read the premise and what the film was all about I thought it could be one of those sleeper/gem movies but the film just wasn't executed to my taste. I found the acting to be rather dull overall, there wasn't a whole lot of life put into the characters. The story seemed to skip from place to place and never could really hold my attention. Like I said a shame because I thought it could have potential. I thought the film looked pretty decent to the eye and that's probably my franfest compliment I can give. It's a tough film that I don't have a whole lot to say about otherwise.

I love The Longest Yard, Burt at his best. Skip the remake.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Here's who nominated what by the way. Forgot to post it:

Raul- Antwone Fisher
Citizen- La Dolce Vita
Sean- Shame
Thief- Aniara
Cricket- A Secret in Their Eyes
Pahak- In a Glass Cage
Suspect- Rudderless
Moviegal- A Sea Inside
Ed- Day of the Jackal
Siddon- Barry Lyndon
Neiba- Beasts of the Southern Wild
Torgo- Hard Times
Takoma- The Man from Nowhere
Spelingerror- Vampyr
Wyldesyde- The Whisperers
AgrippinaX- The Deer Hunter

I find it funny that not many knew mine.

1. I kept pushing @MovieMeditation to join - He's the biggest fan of Javier Bardem that I know. I can't stand listening to him talk his broken Spanish English but I like Javier in his national language.
2. Did anyone read the synopsis of the film? There are two clues that it's mine - The factual story of Spaniard Ramon Sampedro, who fought a thirty-year campaign in favor of euthanasia and his own right to die.
3. One of my favorite films is Agora which is directed by the same director. Actually, I like The Others, Thesis, Open Your Eyes, and The Sea Inside as well. I was a bit upset over Regression, it didn't hold up to his standards.

I actually suggested this to @Citizen Rules and he said "hey that would be a good Hall of Fame film".

I don't think anybody guessed my nom was La Dolce Vita. I must have over a 100 movie titles saved in a text file for future HoFs. I've been meaning to nominate this one for awhile. I almost went with a musical instead Maybe next time!

I don't think anybody guessed my nom was La Dolce Vita. I must have over a 100 movie titles saved in a text file for future HoFs. I've been meaning to nominate this one for awhile. I almost went with a musical instead Maybe next time!
I sure as hell didn't. It was a big surprise to see that.

I sure as hell didn't. It was a big surprise to see that.
I wondered if Day of the Jackal might be your nom. I've heard good things about it...and have never seen it, so it should be a treat.

You probably would have been the last person I guessed for that.

new nickname.. Mr. Arthouse?

I wondered if Day of the Jackal might be your nom. I've heard good things about it...and have never seen it, so it should be a treat.
At risk of prejudicing you, Day of the Jackal is dope. Maybe the best balance of action, thriller, and political film I've seen.

It also has that fascination of seeing how investigations/manhunts were conducted in a pre-internet, pre-network era.

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it
At risk of prejudicing you, Day of the Jackal is dope. Maybe the best balance of action, thriller, and political film I've seen.

It also has that fascination of seeing how investigations/manhunts were conducted in a pre-internet, pre-network era.
very well put!

Happy to see a diverse selection of nominations. I plan to watch Antwone Fisher tomorrow (I'll probably watch these in ABC order).