Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Man Who Walked Alone (Christy Cabanne, 1945)
6/10
Half Brothers (Luke Greenfield, 2020)
+ 5/10
Spotlight Scandals (William Beaudine, 1943)
6/10
Peter and the Farm (Tony Stone, 2016)
- 6.5/10

Peter Dunning has worked on his farm for nearly 40 years even though it's destroyed his relationships with his family, his livestock and his health.
The Disappearance of My Mother (Beniamino Barrese, 2019)
+ 6/10
All My Life (Marc Meyers, 2020)
5/10
The Answer Man (John Hindman, 2009)
6/10
Countdown to Zero (Lucy Walker, 2010)
6.5/10

History and current state of nuclear weapons, at least as of 2010.
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (Jacques Becker, 1954)
+ 5/10
The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, 1937)
6.5/10
The One You Feed (Drew Harwood, 2020)
4/10
People Will Talk (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1951)
- 8/10

Shunderson (Finlay Currie), a smiling skeleton and Dr. Praetorius (Cary Grant). People will talk.
Ray & Liz (Richard Billingham, 2018)
+ 5/10
I Like Money AKA Mr. Topaze (Peter Sellers, 1961)
6/10
Toys Are Not for Children (Stanley H. Brasloff, 1972)
+ 5/10
The Producers (Mel Brooks, 1967)
7+/10

The cast, the writers, the investors and the producers of a new Broadway show are really weird.
Performance (Donald Cammell & Nicolas Roeg, 1970)
5/10
Kirikou and the Men and Women (Michel Ocelot, 2012)
6.5/10
getAWAY (Blayne Weaver, 2020)
5/10
WolfWalkers (Tomm Moore & Ross Stewart, 2020)
7+/10

A WolfWalker's life can literally change in an instant - and often too.

Ghibli double feature with my son. Can't go wrong with Ghibli movies

The Field (1990)

Impressive rural Irish tale with Richard Harris as "Bull" McCabe....seeing his land taken from him as he tries to leave a legacy. Harris is simply superb in this and is ably helped out by a strong cast with Brenda Fricker, Sean Bean and John Hurt.

Tony - 5/10
Could have been good. Might be worth watching if you want to see through the eyes of a very socially awkward man.
Enjoyed the idea of this more than the craft. Wasn't awful or even bad but just "trundled".

Soldier of Fortune (Edward Dmytryk 1955)

I watched this as I'm on a Susan Hayward kick She often landed in fun enough to watch movies...She's a bit of a spitfire, which makes her fun to watch too. Solider of Fortune isn't really special, except in that it fits into the subcategory of '1950s travel-log' movies. In the 50s the big Hollywood studios poured money into these films as an attempt to draw audiences back into the movie theater and away from that new-fangled gadget, the television set.

Soldier of Fortune
like many of these travel log movies was shot on location, this one is in Hong Kong, at least for the exteriors. Unfortunately the female lead, Susan Hayward refused to travel to Hong Kong as she didn't want to be separated from her kids. So Susan's scenes are all done in Hollywood USA on a set, or with blue screen. The male lead, Clark Gable did travel to Hong Kong and that's him in the photo, in one helluva an impressive house with an amazing view of the harbor below!

The film story itself isn't much to write about and it's all pretty much pot boiler about a missing man who's being held in communist China. The real star here is Hong Kong circa 1950s shown in glorious CinemaScope color.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	70978  

Victim of The Night
Breakin 2 10/10 loved the first one saw it in 2019 so i saw the 2nd it has amazing music and casting and sad one of the cast member died other day D=
I saw this in the theater when it was released and I also loved it. Hell, even my mom kinda liked it as she was such a big fan of dance and it was also a pretty innocent movie. Being a white girl from small-town Mississippi, she saw hip-hop culture as scary and threatening until we saw this movie together and it really changed her outlook.

Victim of The Night

Spencer Tracy shows up in a small western town and begins poking the unfriendly and uncooperative locals about a missing Japanese man. Pretty good movie with solid performances from everybody.
I finally saw this a few years ago and I really was impressed with it.
It is the first time I ever liked Spencer Tracy. I know many consider him one of the best film actors of all time but I have never been able to connect with him until that film.

Victim of The Night
[center]

The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, 1937)
6.5/10
Ouch.
My No.1 Screwball/Rom-com of all time as well as my favorite Cary Grant movie and my favorite Irene Dunn movie.

I saw this in the theater when it was released and I also loved it. Hell, even my mom kinda liked it as she was such a big fan of dance and it was also a pretty innocent movie. Being a white girl from small-town Mississippi, she saw hip-hop culture as scary and threatening until we saw this movie together and it really changed her outlook.
Yeah, I like these movies unironically.*I think the first one especially has a nice, gritty quality that mixes interestingly with the dance numbers, and is just a fun (if cleaned up) look into a real subculture.*The leads are all really likable as well.*The sequel is definitely campier (there's one scene where there bad guys are watching the kids through a scope where I was worried it was gonna go full Targets; luckily that didn't happen), but I think it deserves better than to have been turned into a meme.*

Victim of The Night
I sure do love this movie.
I actually prefer it, slightly, to the Cronenberg remake.
And I really like the Cronenberg remake.

Fender Bender (2016)

The Scream Factory bluray has a really fun Retro VHS version of the film you can watch. Made me like the film even more. A must watch for '80s slasher fans.

I sure do love this movie.
I actually prefer it, slightly, to the Cronenberg remake.
And I really like the Cronenberg remake.
I watched the '58 version last October. While I like it quite a lot, I prefer Cronenberg's film by a decent margin.

Slim Aarons: The High Life (2016)

If you're a fan of great still photography, you'll find this 68 minute bio-documentary of one of the biggest names in photography during the 20th Century very absorbing.

Slim early on got an inroad to the rich, famous, and movers & shakers, which allowed him the ability to take pictures of these important people-- willingly and candidly. The more great photos he took, the more people wanted him to ply his trade on them, and the more famous he became. They trusted his judgement and his refusal to tattle tale. His motto: "photographing attractive people doing attractive things in attractive places."

The photo above is entitled Poolside Gossip (1970), taken at the Kaufman Desert House in Palm Springs. He took scores of iconic photos, including the famous Kings of Hollywood (1957) which depicted Clark Gable, Van Heflin, Gary Cooper, and Jimmy Stewart positioned at a bar dressed in formal evening wear.

Toward the end of Aaron's career he sold his entire collection to Mark Getty (of Getty Images), so many of his pictures can be viewed there.

Interestingly the character of photographer Jeff Jeffries, played by Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window, was modeled after Aarons, and Jeffries' apartment was rumored to be designed from Aarons'.

Available on Amazon Prime.

Doc's rating: 8/10

La Dixieme Symphonie, 1918

This film starts with a bang, literally, as a woman named Eve (Emmy Lynn) murders her lover's sister. That lover, Fred Ryce (Jean Toulout), then blackmails Eve with the threat of revealing her crime. Eve manages to pay off Fred in exchange for her freedom, and years later she is living with a loving husband and daughter, Claire. But when Claire falls for, you guessed it, Fred, Eve must decide what to do about the situation.

This was a unique viewing experience, as the film was available on YouTube but not with subtitles. All of the inter-titles were in their original French. So I watched the film with Google Translate open on my lap, quickly typing in the titles so that I could understand what was happening. Sometimes, as Fred's lines would reveal themselves I would be like "What . . . if . . . I call . . the . . . Courts-----OH WHAT A BASTARD!!".

Anyway, I liked this film overall. Fred is a wonderfully hateable villain. From his manipulations of Eve in the beginning to his underhanded courtship of Claire, it's an awesomely smarmy character. Something that I struggled with a bit was how to feel about Eve. Something I struggled to translate were the handwritten letters shown in the film, so it was unclear to me what Fred said that induced Eve to murder his sister. But aside from that, I was largely sympathetic to Eve. She doesn't want to get caught for her crime, and it pains her to keep a secret from her family.

The film is very impressionistic, and there are some really neat images throughout. When Fred realizes the power that he has over Eve, the film cuts to an image of a hand closing on a small bird. There are little touches like this throughout. The title of the film refers to a symphony that Eve's husband writes about how women are untrue after he comes to believe that Eve is cheating on him. There is a long sequence of him performing this piece and Eve's reaction to watching him.

I did think that the very ending of the film was a little weak. It wants to preserve the "purity" of the characters of Eve and Claire and I almost wish they had concluded the story a different way. I actually liked where the film was going with Claire, who
WARNING: spoilers below
pulls a gun on Fred and declares that she's not going to let him live to take on her father in a duel

If you speak French you'll probably have an easier time of this than me. My only real complaint with it was that it seemed to move in stops and starts. It begins with such a stark and sordid sequence that some of the later domestic sequences feel a bit slow.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (1965)

Alec Leamas: What the hell do you think spies are? Moral philosophers measuring everything they do against the word of God or Karl Marx? They're not! They're just a bunch of seedy, squalid bastards like me: little men, drunkards, queers, henpecked husbands, civil servants playing cowboys and Indians to brighten their rotten little lives. Do you think they sit like monks in a cell, balancing right against wrong?

Though technically my second film of the new year, I want to thank @Wyldesyde19 for recommending this Cold War spy flick starring Richard Burton.
I DO so love a good spy flick and this definitely fit the bill for me. A tense, taut film that gives nothing away as the twists and the counter-plays take you to the final realization of the bigger game board and who were the real pawns.

Definitely one I'll be rewatching, knowing the outcome so that I may appreciate the chess moves even more so.