24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

When people start figuring out where they will watch In A Glass Cage let me know. No illegal means please.

I am good to go on all the others. This will be a good Hall I think. Seems like we have a lot of active members.
Perhaps we can work out a deal with me shipping you my dvd. Maybe.

When people start figuring out where they will watch In A Glass Cage let me know. No illegal means please.

I am good to go on all the others. This will be a good Hall I think. Seems like we have a lot of active members.
@seanc

Do you have a fire stick or some type of game system will you can download apps?

Tubitv has it. I have that on my Firestick.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/in-a-glass-cage

The trick is not minding
Rudderless, The Whisperers and The Man from Nowhere are a available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

Aniara is available on Hulu.

I think I can find most of these at my local rental store. Going to hit it up shortly now.

Looks like a good list to me. Most of these are ones I want to see and/or have been bouncing around my watch list for a long time, so this gives me a good excuse as any to see them! If anyone knows how to legally stream or digitally rent La Dolce Vita, please post it because JustWatch doesn't list any options.

Oh, and SpelingError:
WARNING: spoilers below
Vampyr is yours, right?

My nomination should be easy to track down. You can find it on Amazon Prime, Google Play, and the Criterion Channel.
You are either Vampyre, La Dolce Vita, Shame, Ali: Fear eats the Soul or Barry Lyndon. I know they are on Criterion DVD/Bluray.

I do have the criterion of some of the films but I won't be using that because I haven't plugged in my DVD player since the move.

In a Glass Cage is on Shudder (through Amazon), which is where I plan to watch it. It's funny--they just added it to Shudder and it's on my watchlist (I've seen it already, but it seemed about due for a rewatch).

In a Glass Cage is on Shudder (through Amazon), which is where I plan to watch it. It's funny--they just added it to Shudder and it's on my watchlist (I've seen it already, but it seemed about due for a rewatch).
Don't you have to pay to have the Shudder addon? I have Prime but I had to pay extra for the Masterpiece Theatre addon. I pay monthly for Amazon which is about $11.99 then an extra $5.99 for MPT.

I'm very happy with these nominations. There are 5 I haven't seen; The Whisperers, Antwone Fisher, The Sea Inside, Ruderless, and Aniara. There's only 2 I've seen more than once; The Deer Hunter and Hard Times. There's nothing I've seen in the last year and nothing I dread watching. I'm going to watch something I've already seen now.

I'm very happy with these nominations. There are 5 I haven't seen; The Whisperers, Antwone Fisher, The Sea Inside, Ruderless, and Aniara. There's only 2 I've seen more than once; The Deer Hunter and Hard Times. There's nothing I've seen in the last year and nothing I dread watching. I'm going to watch something I've already seen now.
I'm doing the same. Starting with something I know will be high on my list.

Oh, and SpelingError:
WARNING: spoilers below
Vampyr is yours, right?
You are either Vampyre, La Dolce Vita, Shame, Ali: Fear eats the Soul or Barry Lyndon. I know they are on Criterion DVD/Bluray.

I do have the criterion of some of the films but I won't be using that because I haven't plugged in my DVD player since the move.
It's Vampyr.

great film. I have the criterion DVD but I will find it streaming somewhere unless I get desperate and then watch the DVD.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
So I watched Deer Hunter for the first Personal Recommendations HoF, which was in the summer. I don't particularly feel like watching the 3 hour film again so soon and I highly doubt my opinion on it would change either.

So if no one has any objections, I'd like to post my review from that HoF.

The Deer Hunter

Another 3-hour movie down....and it's the last one. Thank God.

I've always assumed The Deer Hunter would be an overrated movie and that it would be a bloated mess that thought itself as more poignant than it really was. While some of it is true, I couldn't help but feel some depressed emotions by the time the friends raised a glass to their fallen brethren. The Deer Hunter isn't about Vietnam, we hardly spent time there. It's more concerned with the horrors of war and what it does to a human. For the most part, the film does it really well, on the other hand, a film like Born on the Fourth of July really digs into that subject matter.

The Deer Hunter feels messy. Each hour is more or less dedicated to BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the war. A solid hour to get us acquainted with these characters does feel a bit much. I appreciate the artistry in having the viewer pick up on a lot of social cues in the wedding scene without much dialogue, but this could have been a learner movie. Just because something is 3 hours long does not make it an "instant classic" or "important" by any means. I don't need to see the bride and groom walk around an altar with crowns above their heads. Small details like this taken out don't change the emotion you feel towards these characters at all, instead, it makes a 3-hour movie into something more or less 2:45 or 2:30.

Then we get to Vietnam and we are almost immediately POWs. Then the famous scene of the film happens and much to my surprise it was still pretty intense. It's hard to go into a movie you haven't seen, but know exactly how the next scene will play out. I couldn't get a grip on the PTSD that Walken's character feels because the Russian Roulette sequence is one and done. I felt like we could have spent a little more time with them captured, to show how they're mentally beaten down. Being thrown almost directly into the mess feels like a missed opportunity. With that in mind, I found it hard that Walken would re-live the Roulette scenes and that he would become famous for it. No skill is involved, it's pure luck and he somehow manages to do this for months and when DeNiro finally shows up it just so happens to be the end? I understand the emotional need and pull for this, but reality set in pretty quickly for me and I didn't buy it.

The third act has DeNiro try to put his life back together back home. He purposely drives past a welcome home party because he can't face his friends after the horrors of war. Too much too fast and he prefers a small and quiet re-entry to life. He strikes up an emotional bond to Meryl Streep, one that felt underutilized in the first two thirds. There is something in this film, a sense of loss, a sense of not being able to get back what once was...it feels genuine. We all have things in our lives that we would like to have back, it could be something as silly as our youth or a long lost friend. This film nails that aspect and the ending feels depressingly poignant.

The Deer Hunter is a messy film with spotlights of brilliance. I would put most of that mainly on the talent of the cast and the relatability of the content. I might have never fought in a war, but I know what loss feels like.

Suspect's Reviews

So I watched Deer Hunter for the first Personal Recommendations HoF, which was in the summer. I don't particularly feel like watching the 3 hour film again so soon and I highly doubt my opinion on it would change either.

So if no one has any objections, I'd like to post my review from that HoF.
That was so recent there's no reason to watch it again.

For those who don't have Shudder, In a Glass Cage is also on effedupmoviesdotcom. I've used the site many times and there's no popups
again its on TubiTV for free. You can download the app to your phone as well.