The making of a favorite movies list, how do you make yours?

Tools    

Do you rank them or put them in no particular order?

For those that rank them, how do you rank the movies like what makes you makes you decide on what #1 and the rest of the movies are?

(I just thought to make this thread to help those that struggle with making a list of top favorite movies since there's no thread about it yet.)

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

After the Movieforums top 100 is finished I'll reveal my list, but it's a ranked list of every movie I've seen ordered from best to worst.

After the Movieforums top 100 is finished I'll reveal my list, but it's a ranked list of every movie I've seen ordered from best to worst.
Yea I know I'm not asking for anyone to reveal their lists, just curious if they rank the movies and or just make a list in a random order. Also on how they rank the movies as well

Yea I know I'm not asking for anyone to reveal their lists, just curious if they rank the movies and or just make a list in a random order. Also on how they rank the movies as well

I know. Just saying. Besides, I want to make sure I've got enough **** movies for a real bottom 100 films before I reveal the list anyway.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Do you rank them or put them in no particular order?

For those that rank them, how do you rank the movies like what makes you makes you decide on what #1 and the rest of the movies are?

(I just thought to make this thread to help those that struggle with making a list of top favorite movies since there's no thread about it yet.)

I start out by making a list of all of the movies that I want on my list, but I don't rank them yet.

Then I go to www.listmoz.com and I input all of the movies into an online list. Listmoz lets me slide the movies up and down the list, so I just start at the top of the list, and keep comparing the movies one by one, and place each movie where it belongs in the list.

Then I read through the list, and make any changes that I think need to be made.

Then I copy and paste the list into a Notepad document, and I number the list.

I just list all of my 10 out of 10 films in alphabetical order on my Letterboxd list, after I've written something about them: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/lis...-stars/detail/

I know. Just saying. Besides, I want to make sure I've got enough **** movies for a real bottom 100 films before I reveal the list anyway.
If you make a list of worst movies someday, I would like to see it, Jack and Jill comes to mind as a crappy movie

When I did mine, I put the whole load of movies together in a list... and placed them alphabetically.

Then, using the "select line", I slide the positioning around one at a time.
Look at movies on consecutive lines and move the ones either side either up or down depending on preference.

Eventually, you'll get an order of preference, with the most faves near the top of the list.

I think of the audience that I want to watch them.

Then I take away reason and accountability.

I absolutely hate ranking movies.

For the top 25 list, I just started going through my 10 and 9 star rated films and putting them in order. It was actually a pretty quick process once I stopped thinking about what someone else might think of my list.

But if you asked me to recreate my top films list, it would probably look very different. To me, the "top films" are the ones I love the most. And that is something that fluctuates a fair amount.

I put quite a few films on my list knowing there was zero chance of them making the top 100.

I re-watch movies that I deem to be pretenders for a list cut. It's either movies I haven't seen for a long time but used to like them or movies I rated highly. Sometimes I ignore movies that I don't feel like re-watching even though I'm not sure about their possibilities to make a cut. It's easier to rank with fresh impressions.

I am in the process of doing my top 100 films. At first, I picked films that I enjoy and ones that I consider masterpieces. I have a few rare films on the list like Portret v sumerkakh, however once I view a film that I think should be on my list, I remove a lower one and add the higher.

I am in the process of doing my top 100 films. At first, I picked films that I enjoy and ones that I consider masterpieces. I have a few rare films on the list like Portret v sumerkakh, however once I view a film that I think should be on my list, I remove a lower one and add the higher.
Can't wait to see it when it's done, if you decide to share it on here

I normally start off my thinking about my top ten, then work backwards. I group them into tens and once I'm sure they're in the right group, I shuffle them around within that group.

I made a list of my favorite movies.
I rewatched the ones that were not fresh in my mind

Out of the list I picked my favorite movie (at the time)
Than I just went one movie at a time to see where I placed it on the list (better than this one, worse than this one)
When the whole list was finished I went back over it and made any corrections that I felt were necessary.

I just did a favourite films list for the first time in years a few months back. I mostly just rank them by going with my gut for better or worse, not having a required amount of films for it and not taking it too seriously since I can change it whenever. Helps that I also keep a big, big list of every 8/10 and up I've seen just as a resource.

Wanted to bump this thread since I got a question to ask for those that make a list and decide to rewatch the movies on the list to see which ones you like the most. Do you start from the top or bottom of the list?

I go by year in chronological order and wide release date in chronological order.
Since I'm doing a favorite 2000's list, that seems like a good idea