My Top 10 Films of 2020

Tools    

I'm always so perpetually behind on current releases that I can never compose anything that feels like a top film list for the current year. 8 of your top 10 are movies on my to-see list. I will honestly mostly use responses in this thread to add to my watchlist.

That said (and that there are many other films I need to get to), things I loved from 2020 are:

Sound of Metal--I wrote up a long review of it. But suffice to say it's one of the most excellent evocations of subjective point of view and a compelling story. Solid performances, powerful message. I'm rarely excited to rewatch movies soon after seeing them, but I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

Palm Springs--Even for me, I will concede that my love of this one is very, very subjective. It came out right when I'd been sent home from work and uncertainty and anxiety were the watchwords of the day. I find it genuinely funny, I was charmed by the lead performances, and as someone who can dwell on the past, I appreciated its message.

Emma--I was thoroughly delighted by this adaptation of Austen's novel. And a huge chunk of that was how much I enjoyed the costuming and overall color scheme of the film.

The Invisible Man--I know some people took issue with the last act of this one, but I liked it from beginning to end. It's also the last film I saw in the theater before lockdown.

Honorable Mentions:

Wolf of Snow Hollow--Not as strong as Thunder Road, but I still enjoyed the odd mash-up of Cummings' cringe-comedy and a horror film.

Enola Holmes--A lovely dose of easy escapism with winning performances. Automatically added to the list of films to put on if I'm feeling down.

The Old Guard--Falls short of being great, but I really loved the cast and there were some solid action sequences.

Amulet--More something that put Romola Garai on my radar as a director, but there were some interesting ideas here and some unforgettable imagery.

I'm behind on my 2020 watches, here's my watchlist;

Sound of Metal
The Vast of Night
The Platform
Mank
The Assistant
The One and Only Ivan
Palm Springs
Da 5 Bloods
Tommaso
Honeyland
Night on Earth
The Call of the Wild
On the Rocks
The Banker
Big Time Adolescence
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
The Way Back
LA Originals
For Sama

Interim score;

The trick is not minding
I'm always so perpetually behind on current releases that I can never compose anything that feels like a top film list for the current year. 8 of your top 10 are movies on my to-see list. I will honestly mostly use responses in this thread to add to my watchlist.

That said (and that there are many other films I need to get to), things I loved from 2020 are:

Sound of Metal--I wrote up a long review of it. But suffice to say it's one of the most excellent evocations of subjective point of view and a compelling story. Solid performances, powerful message. I'm rarely excited to rewatch movies soon after seeing them, but I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

Palm Springs--Even for me, I will concede that my love of this one is very, very subjective. It came out right when I'd been sent home from work and uncertainty and anxiety were the watchwords of the day. I find it genuinely funny, I was charmed by the lead performances, and as someone who can dwell on the past, I appreciated its message.

Emma--I was thoroughly delighted by this adaptation of Austen's novel. And a huge chunk of that was how much I enjoyed the costuming and overall color scheme of the film.

The Invisible Man--I know some people took issue with the last act of this one, but I liked it from beginning to end. It's also the last film I saw in the theater before lockdown.

Honorable Mentions:

Wolf of Snow Hollow--Not as strong as Thunder Road, but I still enjoyed the odd mash-up of Cummings' cringe-comedy and a horror film.

Enola Holmes--A lovely dose of easy escapism with winning performances. Automatically added to the list of films to put on if I'm feeling down.

The Old Guard--Falls short of being great, but I really loved the cast and there were some solid action sequences.

Amulet--More something that put Romola Garai on my radar as a director, but there were some interesting ideas here and some unforgettable imagery.
Agree with The Invisible Man and Emma.
Particularly, Anya Taylor-Joy has become, along with Florence Pugh and Saorse Ronan, have become actresses to watch.
I started Enola Holmes (auto correct keeps trying to change that to Ebola &#129320 and enjoyed what I saw of that, but I was interrupted and never got back to it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I can't reduce to Top 10 and still too many left to see but in consideration so far:

The Trial of the Chicago 7
The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
Da 5 Bloods
Uncle Tom
Crip Camp
Hamilton
Whirlybird
Belushi
Zappa
Soul
WolfWalkers
The Three Deaths of Marisela Escobedo
My Octopus Teacher
World of Tomorrow Episode Three: The Absent Destinations of David Prime
David Byrne's American Utopia
Dick Johnson Is Dead
Mank
Mangrove
Another Round
The Boys in the Band
The Invisible Man

I'm behind on my 2020 watches, here's my watchlist;

Sound of Metal
The Vast of Night
The Platform
Mank
The Assistant
The One and Only Ivan
Palm Springs
Da 5 Bloods
Tommaso
Honeyland
Night on Earth
The Call of the Wild
On the Rocks
The Banker

Interim score;
I think I had Bacurau in my last year's list, I really enjoyed it.

I started Enola Holmes
It's total fluff, and a very light watch.

Also, I should have included in my list David Byrne's American Utopia. An excellent concert film.

As usual, I'm way behind on new releases (according to Letterboxd, I've watched only 40 films made in 2020). Most of them have been mediocre at best, so I'll just list the ones that I've given above-average ratings.

The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw
Underwater

Don't Listen
The Devil All the Time
Sputnik
Legacy of Lies

The Painted Bird listed in the OP is 2019 according to Letterboxd. I rated it 4/5, so it would be #1 if it counts.

The Painted Bird listed in the OP is 2019 according to Letterboxd. I rated it 4/5, so it would be #1 if it counts.
Release dates for The Painted Bird:

USA 17 July 2020 (internet)
Spain 21 July 2020 (internet)
Turkey 14 August 2020
Sweden 4 September 2020
UK 11 September 2020
Ireland 11 September 2020
Japan 9 October 2020
Netherlands 15 October 2020
Norway 16 October 2020
Taiwan 30 October 2020
Finland 6 November 2020
Denmark 19 November 2020

Lots of 3.5s on mine so far this year. Which is unfortunate. I have seen 37 2020 releases. This list includes a couple people would include in 2019. As I always say, until I start getting sent screeners I go by US release.

I'm Thinking Of Ending Things
Mangrove
The Assistant
Sorry We Missed You
Sound Of Metal
Trial Of The Chicago 7
Tenet
Vast Of Night
Mank
First Cow

The Painted Bird would definitely be there if I didn't list it as 2019.
I have stalled on this one because of what I have heard about it. You think it would be something I would like?

The Trial of the Chicago 7
Belushi
Zappa
David Byrne's American Utopia

Seen and loved these. Haven't seen to many this year because of no theaters being open here since last March. A few others I'd add are:

"The Florida Project"
"Miss Juneteenth"
"1917"
"Fatman"
"Jojo Rabbit"
"The Lighthouse
"Bad Education"

Seen and loved these. Haven't seen to many this year because of no theaters being open here since last March. A few others I'd add are:

"The Florida Project"
"Miss Juneteenth"
"1917"
"Jojo Rabbit"
"The Lighthouse
"Bad Education"
The Florida Project is 2017 isn't it? The Lighthouse was my 2019 #1 I think.

Going by U.S. theatrical or streaming release date:

1. Sound of Metal
2. The Vast of Night
3. Palm Springs
4. Soul
5. The Invisible Man
6. Zappa
7. Bad Education
8. Emma
9. The Boys in the Band
10. Circus of Books

Honorable Mentions: Athlete A, Be Water, Bloodshot, Onward, The King of Staten Island

Need to see: Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets, Da 5 Bloods, Mank, The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, Wild Goose Lake

A strange year for obvious reasons. I can't believe I only saw one of these, The Invisible Man, in a theater and that I did so ten months ago.

The trick is not minding
It's total fluff, and a very light watch.

Also, I should have included in my list David Byrne's American Utopia. An excellent concert film.
Eh, I’m not sure it’s totally fluff from what I saw of it (maybe 30-40 mins). Very much a coming of age story of a clever girl who relies on her own resources rather then relying on the men, and society for that matter at the time, who expect her to live up to certain standard. Only Sherlock seemed to show any interest in her.
It’s definitely a fun watch, and that was just a short sample size.