Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

Doomsday
(2008)
3.75/5

Movies like this tend to hold up no matter how old they are.

As an example, Mad Max is still a great film after all these years.
I did like this movie, although it's been about a decade, maybe a little longer.
I didn't love it but I thought it had a lot of verve.
And I did think Rhona Mitra was kickass and have been surprised not to have seen more of her.

Victim of The Night
An enjoyable B- movie pastiche murdered by atrocious editing that feels like the editor was paid by the cut.
This may also be true. Though I definitely didn't feel like the murder was complete. But it was distracting, to say the least, at times.

This may also be true. Though I definitely didn't feel like the murder was complete. But it was distracting, to say the least, at times.
I felt similarly until I rewatched it a few years back. Basically every single moment that would've been cool is turned into Liam Neeson jumping over a chain link fence in Taken 3. Unwatchable.

Marshall has a penchant for over-editing but this is the only time I feel he went too far and ruined the thing. Oddly, his worst film, Hellboy, probably has his strongest and most coherent editing of action.

'The Wild Goose Lake' (2020)

Excellent Chinese gangster flick by Diao Yinan. The Neon pinks and yellows in the night scenes combined with absorbing cinematography made the film feel like Bi Gan directing a neo noir inspired by all the best bits of Melville and Refn with a bit of dreamy Wong Kar Wai thrown in too.

The film follows a gangster on the run after a night of stealing motorbikes goes wrong - who then has to evade police and try and make contact with his estranged wife. There are some brutal action scenes with some morbidly fascinating deaths. And although some of the fight sequences have slightly comical moments, the film doesn't stray from being an artful, gritty crime movie that succeeds.

My Darth Star is in for a service
The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Rises

Still the best Batman movies made to date IMHO.

Heath Ledger is truly outstanding as the Joker in the Dark Knight while Tom Hardy as Bane in Rises manages to both make you like and hate him at the same time.
Christian Bale plays Batman superbly seeing off the awful ones of the past (Kilmer and Clooney).
Anne Hathaway makes for a great Selina Kyle adding a classy touch to the role.
Action and angst aplenty in both movies with some great gadgets and excellent support from a stellar cast in both movies including Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine.

9/10 and 8.5/10 respectively.

The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Rises

Still the best Batman movies made to date IMHO.

Heath Ledger is truly outstanding as the Joker in the Dark Knight while Tom Hardy as Bane in Rises manages to both make you like and hate him at the same time.
Christian Bale plays Batman superbly seeing off the awful ones of the past (Kilmer and Clooney).
Anne Hathaway makes for a great Selina Kyle adding a classy touch to the role.
Action and angst aplenty in both movies with some great gadgets and excellent support from a stellar cast in both movies including Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine.

9/10 and 8.5/10 respectively.
i agree one of my favorite batman movies and heath ledger always gonna be a best joker (rip heath ledger )

I'M YOUR WOMAN
(2020)

First viewing. Amazon Studios original. A surprisingly really good and well-executed crime thriller, with a tour de force performance by Rachel Brosnahan, who I expect might get some Best Actress award recognition this award season.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Hagazussa, 2017

A woman and her young daughter, Albrun, live high on a mountainside. Harassed for supposedly being witches, things go rapidly downhill when Albrun's mother comes down with an illness (the plague?) and descends into madness. The final two-thirds of the film follows Albrun as an adult, still living on the mountainside and caring for an infant daughter.

This is a moody, stylish slow-burn. Less a horror film, in my opinion, than a psychological vision of a woman descending into madness accompanied by a few horrifying images.

I struggled with this film, to be honest, and for several reasons.

To begin with, Albrun is truly isolated in her home and in the film. There is, at best, one person who could be considered a secondary character. This means that the arc of the film rests entirely on Albrun's journey. And, by design, that journey only moves in one direction. There is almost no personality given to any of Albrun's tormentors (most of them stay anonymous or even off-screen), so at a certain point you feel as if you're just watching the clock and waiting for the next hit to come. By the time the film gets to what is meant to be the emotional climax, it was hard to keep a straight face. Something that should have been horrifying felt unearned and the end felt like someone who had a good idea for a story but no idea how to bring it to a coherent conclusion.

There was also at times a one-note feeling to the imagery. "How many things can look like a penis or like semen?" seems to have been a driving question. And the problem is not the imagery itself, but more that I could not understand what the film was trying to say with it. Is it meant to be a commentary on Albrun's loneliness and her dearth of positive/consensual physical intimacy? It is meant to say something about her supposed "witchiness"? Albrun endures multiple sexual assaults, and given that almost every male character in the film torments or assaults her in some way, the question of how Albrun regards sex and sexuality could have been an interesting one, but like almost everything else the film holds this at arm's length.

I have to go back to the idea that the film's creators had a concept, but not necessarily a coherent vision. The first third is very strong, but then it all seems to fall apart a bit. Every time an interesting theme seems poised to be developed, the soundtrack drones, there's a close up of Albrun's face, and the scene fades to black. Sex, motherhood, isolation, faith--they're all there, but they're all underbaked.

Worth watching for the strong lead performance, but this is more a demonstration of potential than a satisfying film in its own right.

I have Ultraviolet too Wooley.

A very good movie worth a watch if you are a Jovovich fan and haven't seen it.
I was so excited for this when it was released i just loved resident evil and a soft spot for 2 even with their major faults, I can look over them as a massive fan of the video games. The final scene of Resident evil with Mila looking out onto the destroyed city with the unnerving music beside it was great.

Mila looks super hot but it was just a complete mess and very boring for me, i think the idea was good just executed horribly and from the director of the fantastic equilibrium I was shocked at how bad it was.

Death of a salesman (1985) 8.4

I’ve been fortunate to see a lot of fine actors put on great performances in some of the movies I’ve viewed recently, Dustin Hoffman as the broken, mentally tired and truly vicious man with his straight talking ways was played to absolute perfection. With the limited sets and visuals which was extremely disappointing in a movie of this quality the dialogue and writing has to be on point and it was . I have to mention Harrelson too another incredible performance, although disappointed with Stephen Lang’s character as his brother, the character any kind of depth. Absolutely adore this film, if only there was more money put into the visuals and wasn’t made as a TV movie this would have won Oscars I’m sure.

Knives out (2019) 8.1/10

I don’t like giving to many plot points away with recent movies so won’t get into the narrative to much. I’ll just say the cast are brilliant Ane De Amis stunned me In how good she was can’t wait to see her In the upcoming ‘No time to die’ and Chris Evans casting was on the nose. Relatively unique for a murder mystery especially in its pacing especially through the first act. Vibrant, colourful, visuals, excellent cast and written dialogue among them. There are a few plot contrivances I have issue with and I really don’t think this needs a sequel which I here is coming, a poor sequel can ruin the original in my opinion and I just feel it’s not warranted with this feature.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
An Unreasonable Man - 10/10
I don't admire man people, but Ralph Nader is one. I would probably fist fight anyone who bad-mouthed him like the whiny wimp in the beginning of the documentary. Gladly. And I'm not a violent man.

I think much less of Jimmy Carter after he said in some Democratic Party suck-up party to "go away".. Now, Carter is the target of pro-apartheid fanatics.

“I was cured, all right!”

God bless Ukraine for their patriotism. God bless Ukraine for their freedom.
The world should take notes on how you make a revolution!
This documentary deserved a 7 hours minisseries that go beyond the fight against Viktor Yanukovych and his mercenaries. The war in Donbass should have been showed. Also, the private military groups wasn't covered in this documentary, Pravyy Sektor for example was always a huge stand against the government. Judging by how countries like USA tries to make this privaty armies look, I can undestund why they left them out.

My Darth Star is in for a service
Steve Jobs

Much like The Social Network did with Zuckerberg this film portrays Jobs as an arrogant self obssessed man who knows better than everyone else.
I enjoyed it but it didn't change my view on Apple the company which is all about style over substance and ripping off it's customers as much as it possibly can.
Jobs is shown as a visionary and a man passionately wanting to force his idea of what the world should be on to everybody.
A stellar cast made this a decent movie, as to whether Jobs was as he is portrayed in this is open for debate.
I look forward to seeing how Ashton Kutcher does as Steve Jobs and if Jobs is shown in a different light.

6/10

Victim of The Night
I felt similarly until I rewatched it a few years back. Basically every single moment that would've been cool is turned into Liam Neeson jumping over a chain link fence in Taken 3. Unwatchable.

Marshall has a penchant for over-editing but this is the only time I feel he went too far and ruined the thing. Oddly, his worst film, Hellboy, probably has his strongest and most coherent editing of action.
Whoa, the hot-take!

(Edit: My bad, I had forgotten that the Neil Marshall Hellboy even existed and thought you were saying that he had been the editor on the 2004 film and ruined it).

But I suspect I kind of agree with you on Doomsday, I remember that I couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt so underwhelmed by a film I should have had major fanboy love for. That must be it. Though, again, it was far from "Unwatchable" for me.