The Stand

Tools    

Has anyone been watching this? It's based on Stephen King's novel.

I haven't read the book and I'm really enjoying not knowing where this is going. It's very creepy and shocking.

The Adventure Starts Here!
If it ends up like the book (and it seems that way), it'll get way weirder as it goes along, in fine King style.

But I am only cautiously optimistic because so many of the adaptations from King's novels lose so much in the translation. The casting here looks good (slightly better than the original miniseries from the mid-1990s), so I'm hoping the follow-through doesn't disappoint.

Yes, it's on CBS All Access. They're rolling out episodes weekly, usually late on Wednesdays, it seems. Today's episode hadn't appeared yet as of 8 PM EST, though. Two episodes in, and I can see they are truncating some stories because most of the characters are already in Boulder, Colorado. Pretty sure in the book that takes a while.

If it ends up like the book (and it seems that way), it'll get way weirder as it goes along, in fine King style.

But I am only cautiously optimistic because so many of the adaptations from King's novels lose so much in the translation. The casting here looks good (slightly better than the original miniseries from the mid-1990s), so I'm hoping the follow-through doesn't disappoint.
Apparently King himself changed the ending in this show

Apparently King himself changed the ending in this show
Wow! Now I'm curious. I did watch episode 3. It seems as if they're moving this version along a lot faster than the original miniseries that starred Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald. I could be misremembering, though...

Watched the latest episode. Just not feeling the love for this series. It's cliché, but the book is so much better. This story just never translates well to the screen, if you ask me.

I'm curious if anyone here who's watching it has never read the book. Haven't a clue how that plays out for someone without any background with the story itself.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Watched the latest episode. Just not feeling the love for this series. It's cliché, but the book is so much better. This story just never translates well to the screen, if you ask me.

I'm curious if anyone here who's watching it has never read the book. Haven't a clue how that plays out for someone without any background with the story itself.
Is this a subscription-based service? I've never looked into it.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Is this a subscription-based service? I've never looked into it.
This new iteration is part of CBS All Access, the subscription-based offshoot of CBS. Of course, you can't binge a whole series at once. They're not stupid. They release an episode weekly, and they make sure even a miniseries extends into a second month, of course. I'll likely stick it out and will probably go back and watch the episodes of Picard that I never got around to watching under my free trial a while ago...

Well, we're six episodes in. I'm mostly still watching because (a) my subscription is active till the 17th, and (b) someone mentioned that King changed the ending for this show, so now I'm curious.

But I'm still convinced the book is way better.