24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Also waiting for MV to join
I think she is out this time
Isn't she out of town for the Holidays? I could be wrong.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
My nomination doesn’t appear in any lists on this site, as far as I can see. I’ve seen it once, a year ago, I think? And I enjoyed it. Interesting what others will think of it.
An unknown gem. . . very nice

...my original pick was a Powell/Pressburger film(that you loved) but I don't know the sensitivity level of certain people and having characters in black face is problematic for some people. So I switched to a different filmmaker basically for a film I wish to watch and review again.
Is that Dick Powell or William Powell? I have movies from each actor I love.

Is that Dick Powell or William Powell? I have movies from each actor I love.
Powell/Pressburger is a director combo and I believe the film he's referring to is Black Narcissus.

When I nominate something for the General HOF, I look for something I consider a masterpiece. That's exactly what I nominated for this HOF and the last one. Both are masterpieces in my eyes. I know, eventually, I will be comfortable nominating something that isn't a masterpiece but just a film I enjoy watching. I have one of those already in my backpocket. I just need to learn that not everyone sees things as I do.
I'm pretty sure this HoF's nomination is the 7th film I've nominated from my ballot in an ongoing all-time top-100 countdown. From my previous placements in the HoFs, I'd say it's fair to say that one person's masterpiece is another person's trash

Believe me, the last HOF I was in, the 23rd, there were a few films I had to force myself through.
That happens to me in practically every HoF as well. For most of the time, I still consider it a fair price for a chance to find something good/great that I wouldn't have watched otherwise (like Al-mummia in 23rd).

Same for me in all the many HoFs I've been in. That's because people have vastly different taste. I learned one just can't please everyone with one's nom.
Yeah. I do hope that someone who hasn't seen my nomination, ends up liking it a lot, but I admit that even the trashings of my films are often rewarding to read. And I don't mean that in a trolling sense, but as a genuine interest in why and how the level of appreciation towards a film differs so drastically.

Every time I watch a film I love, I have to pop into the IMDb and look up reviews from people who gave it a 1/10 and marvel at people who say things like:

"She's not pretty enough to be a prostitute" (Jeanne Dielman)

"Humdrum recycled version of romance novel garbage" (Brief Encounter)

"The use of colour is probably the only good thing about this slow and boring, overlong, dated film." (Vertigo)
I sincerely miss hate-reading the IMDB forum. An endless source of entertainment/angst for me. I wish they'd at least left it online even if it was locked to new posts.

Lately I've just been sorting Letterboxd reviews to read the worst---
"This is one of those 'so bad it's good' type films. It's basically two men farting and jerking off for 1h 40m." (The Lighthouse)

Powell/Pressburger is a director combo and I believe the film he's referring to is Black Narcissus.
That would be a sweet nom and one I haven't seen in years. Though I did just see Deborah Kerr on What's My Line just two nights ago. I like her!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Some of these are available on streaming platforms. For sure one or two on Amazon prime, some on the criterion channel. Let me know if yours is available on any of them (Netflix, Hulu, prime, criterion, etc.)

I sincerely miss hate-reading the IMDB forum. An endless source of entertainment/angst for me. I wish they'd at least left it online even if it was locked to new posts.

Lately I've just been sorting Letterboxd reviews to read the worst---
"This is one of those 'so bad it's good' type films. It's basically two men farting and jerking off for 1h 40m." (The Lighthouse)
See that is a film I WOULD NOT enjoy. These are the types I dislike the most and ones that make fun of women.

Some of these are available on streaming platforms. For sure one or two on Amazon prime, some on the criterion channel. Let me know if yours is available on any of them (Netflix, Hulu, prime, criterion, etc.)
Previously in this thread, I listed where mine is available.

See that is a film I WOULD NOT enjoy. These are the types I dislike the most and ones that make fun of women.
The Lighthouse is good stuff.

The person saying it's just about farts and jerking off has really, REALLY missed the point of the movie.

I seen The Lighthouse recently. I didn't care for it as it went too far to the slasher/horror side by the end of the film. Which for me was a pity as it started out as a spell binding, psychological sturdy of two men sequestered on a remote light house, cut off from civilization. I had hoped it would stay reserved and be more like The Innocents (1960) but by the end it went over the top, pulling out the usual horror tropes. I like restrained movies, but you might like it...and it's not a fart joke movie, it's darker and more brooding and serious.

The trick is not minding
I was planning on watching The Lighthouse next month or so, along with Midsommar since both have been on my watch list for a bit now.
Lighthouse because I loved The Witch, and it’s from the same director.

There is an element of intentional ridiculousness. I really enjoyed it.
The Lighthouse is well made and stylishly shot. I loved the b&w contrasty [sic] look of the film. I'd venture a guess to say that most fans of horror/thriller would really enjoy it. Even though I didn't enjoy the ending, I loved the first half. I often will dislike a film BUT not because it's crap but because it's themes/genre are not my forte. It would be like taking my to dinner at the finest seafood restaurant in town. No matter how fine the cuisine, I'll turn my nose up at it as I can't stand the taste of seafood.