The biggest plot holes

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
That’s not a plot hole in the first film. It’s established that they can’t send back inorganic materials, which is why the Terminator is just a skeleton wrapped in actual living flesh.

At best, it’s a contrivance as it isn’t logically impossible that they wouldn’t send a bomb. Thus, no plot hole.

It isn’t logically possible by the rules of the films that the T-1000 should even be able to pass through the time machine. Plot hole.
Wouldn't they be able to send back a nuclear bomb with a timer, that is covered in flesh? If you can cover a terminator in flesh, then can't you for a nuke?

Armageddon - wouldn’t it have been easier to train astronauts to drill, rather than teaching a bunch of oil rig operatives how to pilot a mission into outer space?
Not that I disagree with this - in reality they probably would have just trained astronauts - but they did have astronauts on the mission - 2 pilots on each shuttle - their jobs were to get the drillers to the asteroid and then return them home. (Things obviously didn't go as planned.)

Wouldn't they be able to send back a nuclear bomb with a timer, that is covered in flesh? If you can cover a terminator in flesh, then can't you for a nuke?
Once again, it’s not an impossibility. They explain why they use a Terminator. They don’t need a scene of them ruling out every other possibility. There are also numerous logistical issues in regards to that plan.

A plot hole isn’t “I can come up with a better idea!”

A plot hole is “that plot point literally could not happen given the established rules of the universe. It is impossible.”

A huge plot hole, yes! It popped out at me the first time I saw it.

But I thought we were supposed to assume that the T-Rex in the hold (the only dino on the boat) got loose, ate everyone in the crew, and then went BACK into the hold and somehow set the controls to close the doors back over herself as the ship somehow pilots itself back to a port and docks!
A plot hole either way - so any explanation works - as there is no logical explanation that fits.

T-rex follows someone into the hold while another one pressed a button and died shortly afterwards. That'd what I assumed when I watched it.

T-rex follows someone into the hold while another one pressed a button and died shortly afterwards. That'd what I assumed when I watched it.
But who pressed the button? Everyone on the boat was eaten (weren't they)? Except for a pair of hands still on the steering wheel if I remember correctly.

But who pressed the button? Everyone on the boat was eaten (weren't they)? Except for a pair of hands still on the steering wheel if I remember correctly.

Imdb said that there was a scene involving velociraptors pertaining to the plot hole. But it was under the "incorrectly regarded as goofs" section.

Welcome to the human race...
A possible one from Memento - if Leonard is unable to form new long-term memories after being attacked by the home invader, how is he able to remember that he even has amnesia and tell people he has it?

A possible one from Memento - if Leonard is unable to form new long-term memories after being attacked by the home invader, how is he able to remember that he even has amnesia and tell people he has it?

I assume it's something his body and mind got used to without "memory."

It is possible for amnesiacs to remember they have amnesia. There are two main kinds of amnesia: retrograde and anterograde amnesia. Retrograde amnesia affects memories that were formed before the onset of amnesia. Since these people can create and retain new memories, it's pretty easy for them to remember they have amnesia. However, retrograde amnesia isn't what Leonard had. Anterograde amnesia, on the other hand, refers to a decreased ability to retain new memories. The ability for people with this type of amnesia to recall memories obtained after the onset of amnesia (including being aware they have amnesia) depends on the severity of it. In severe cases, the patient won't be aware of this unless someone brings it to their attention - they would promptly forget it soon afterwards though. People with less severe cases of anterograde amnesia, however, will be aware of their condition (though it isn't known exactly why this is the case). A less severe case of anterograde amnesia is what Leonard had in the film. Therefore, it does make sense that he was able to remember he had amnesia.

It is possible for amnesiacs to remember they have amnesia. There are two main kinds of amnesia: retrograde and anterograde amnesia. Retrograde amnesia affects memories that were formed before the onset of amnesia. Since these people can create and retain new memories, it's pretty easy for them to remember they have amnesia. However, retrograde amnesia isn't what Leonard had. Anterograde amnesia, on the other hand, refers to a decreased ability to retain new memories. The ability for people with this type of amnesia to recall memories obtained after the onset of amnesia (including being aware they have amnesia) depends on the severity of it. In severe cases, the patient won't be aware of this unless someone brings it to their attention - they would promptly forget it soon afterwards though. People with less severe cases of anterograde amnesia, however, will be aware of their condition (though it isn't known exactly why this is the case). A less severe case of anterograde amnesia is what Leonard had in the film. Therefore, it does make sense that he was able to remember he had amnesia.
In addition to this, I always felt that
WARNING: spoilers below
some of it was almost "willful amnesia" on his part, as a way of coping with the loss of his wife and not wanting things to be over.

Batman '89 - Due to his murder parade being disrupted by Batman, the Joker ends up outside Gotham Cathedral where Batman's plane just happened to crash and he kidnaps Vicky Vale. (Presumably, both he and Vicky went to that location to see if Batman was still alive or dead). The Joker radios his henchmen to pick him up off the roof in their helicopter, but requests 10 minutes as it will take at least that long to climb to the top.

Batman climbs out from under the wreckage of his plane and pursues them into the church. BUT somehow the Joker's henchmen are already inside the church on the top floor and fight the Batman... (even though the Joker is still waiting for the helicopter and the location was a completely random one - not a predetermined meeting place or hideout).

How did the henchmen get there? Why are they there? Even if they knew where the Joker was heading when he called on the radio, how did they get to the top of the cathedral before him? If they came on the helicopter and were dropped off immediately after the Joker told them where to pick him up then why does the Joker have to wait quite a while for the helicopter to arrive?
Good one..
I always took it though that he was always going to get to the cathedral and helicopter out, so some of his goons may well have been in there waiting for him.

But yeah, even if that was the case, why did the chopper take ages to arrive?

Never even noticed this one tbh.

some of it was almost "willful amnesia" on his part, as a way of coping with the loss of his wife and not wanting things to be over.
This is confirmed by the Sammy Jenkis revelation

There's a huge plot hole within the MCU with Ant Man.

Ant Man can shrink... and he can also grow into the superhero called Goliath.

Thing is... and this is explained in the movies... his actual mass doesn't change.
No change in mass, means no change in weight.

We often see him on the back of an ant... or on a group of ants being helped... yet, even though he's the size of an ant, he still weighs what, 13 stone? About 82kg?

So the fight between him and the bad guy in the first Ant Man movie... has the two of them on a child's table with a Thomas train set...
Even being the size of insects, the table would collapse under their collective weight.
And when the Thomas train gets enlarged, it crashes through the wall and into the street.
Wouldn't happen. The toy may be huge, but it'd still weigh the same as it did when it was regular size... and would just bounce off the wall.

So, another example of this plot hole, is in Civil War.
He flips Black Widow over, grabs her wrist, and runs up her back, pulling her arm up her back.
Thing is, being that small, weighing 13st... he would simply push through Black Widow's body.
Imagine placing a knitting needle on someone's back, and standing on it.
Exact same thing.

As Goliath in Endgame as well... sure he's 100ft tall or whatever... he'd still only weigh 13st.
So punching the Chituari Leviathan, would do nothing.
He also wouldn't be able to push against the mass of rubble that had collapsed on top of him, Rhodes, Hulk and Rocket.

MKS already beat me to this post, but yeah, that was confirmed with the ending.

Good one..
I always took it though that he was always going to get to the cathedral and helicopter out, so some of his goons may well have been in there waiting for him.

But yeah, even if that was the case, why did the chopper take ages to arrive?

Never even noticed this one tbh.

I actually avoided that one since it's a comic book movie and I didn't take things like that in comic book movies too seriously.

I haven't seen it since it came out, but that's how I remember it.
While Teddy more or less flat out says it, there’s a bit a lot of people seem to miss where...

at the end of the Sammy story, when Tobolowsky is sitting in the mental hospital, for a split second, it’s Leonard sitting there instead.*

This confirms that his ability to even recount this story shows that he CAN physically create new memories but either blocks them out or alters them to fit his own narrative of being a victim out for revenge.

While Teddy more or less flat out says it, there’s a bit a lot of people seem to miss where...

at the end of the Sammy story, when Tobolowsky is sitting in the mental hospital, for a split second, it’s Leonard sitting there instead.*

This confirms that his ability to even recount this story shows that he CAN physically create new memories but either blocks them out or alters them to fit his own narrative of being a victim out for revenge.
I remember that (and I even caught that flash moment when I saw it in the theater). I guess I ultimately felt it was ambiguous as to how much
"genuine" amnesia there was and how much was conscious/subconscious blocking out.

I think that the most powerful aspect is just understanding that to some degree Leonard is willfully participating in the cycle of "revenge" to avoid truly facing his own guilt.

I remember that (and I even caught that flash moment when I saw it in the theater). I guess I ultimately felt it was ambiguous as to how much
"genuine" amnesia there was and how much was conscious/subconscious blocking out.

I think that the most powerful aspect is just understanding that to some degree Leonard is willfully participating in the cycle of "revenge" to avoid truly facing his own guilt.
Complete agreement.

Also...

Plot hole debunked. It’s a Christmas (eve) miracle!

Skynet does NOT want to do so much damage that it will not be invented in the first place. A nuke would be a massive intervention into the timeline. And we learn that Cybedyne starts in the same area you would have to nuke to kill Sarah Connor.

The Terminator is a surgical strike. It looks human. It is working from the best information it has available. It is making sure that it is killing every possible mother of John Connor. It is confirming kills (it's not gambling, it needs to know).