The General
Hard-Boiled
Predator
Raiders of the Lost Ark
RoboCop
Sanjuro
Snowpiercer
Yojimbo

Also, if we're including Westerns, I'll recommend The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, The Wild Bunch, and A Fistful of Dollars as well.

Apocalypto is the greatest action film that nobody has ever seen
The movie has 289k ratings on IMDb.

Versus (2000)

Still, how come you never hear it brought up anywhere? It didn't even have a review on mofo until a month ago
It’s constantly brought up on Reddit/Twitter and was directed by an extremely famous and infamous director. If it it’s rare in this tiny circle of the internet, it’s because the movie was temporarily out of print for a few years but due to demand, is back in stock.

fair game (1995)
Speed
To live and die in LA
tango & cash
cobra
commando
Dirty harry
The rock
bad boys

I don't know how far back the original poster's viewing habits go, but here are three of the best from the 1970s. Nothing from that era has the explosions-per-minute ratio that became the action movie standard in the subsequent decades, but they are tight thrillers, expertly made.

The Gauntlet (1977) is one of Eastwood's best but least-seen flicks from the '70s. Instead of unflappable supercop Harry Callahan this time out he is a drunken loser of a Phoenix, Arizona detective named Ben Shockley. He is given an assignment of a prisoner transfer, but when he realizes they gave him the detail because he is a disposable F-up he gets pissed and comes back at the corrupt system that set him up for the fall. Builds to a fantastic, iconic finale.

The Getaway (1972) is director Sam Peckinpah's most accessible and entertaining movie following Steve McQueen as Carter "Doc" McCoy after he is let out of prison, freedom bought by a slimy crime boss who wants him to pull a bank job. Double crosses abound with an outstanding supporting cast that includes Al Lettieri, Ben Johnson, Bo Hopkins, Richard Bright, and Slim Pickens. It was remade in 1994 by Roger Donaldson and while it is a largely unnecessary effort it is still a lot of fun, this time starring Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger, Michael Madsen, James Woods, and Richard Farnsworth.

Charley Varrick (1973) is the best of Don Siegel's non-Eastwood projects of that era. It begins with a small bank robbery that turns bloody in a dusty New Mexico town. Things get much worse when the thieves, led by Walter Matthau. realize they accidentally hit a bank flush with money being washed for the Las Vegas mafia. A very determined fixer, played to the hilt by Joe Don Baker, is sent to track the money. Clever, tense, and sometimes very funny. Great flick. And another crackerjack ending.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra