The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I call it a cash machine
And you say, "I got money from cash machine" because if you say THE cash machine you're an old man? 🤔
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes, and that is why on this site, as well as the IMDb community, there is a strong contingent that holds movies from about 1999 in such high regard, I believe. There are a group of longtime members here who were between sixteen and twenty-one years old around the turn of the 21st Century. The good, new movies they saw at that time were very impactful, partially because they were burgeoning film fans who had likely never even seen the great movies that were ten or twenty years old at that time, much less the ones that were fifty or sixty years old. Today in their thirties even if they have broadened their base of film knowledge in the past twenty years there is an emotional and nostalgic pull for those first movies that made them film fans.

And that is all fine and legit. I'm not discounting it or putting it down, I am explaining why I think there is such undying support for some of the movies from that era around here and the IMDb.

But if you tell me The Boondock Saints is one of your all-time favorites and it forever kicks ass I can tell you about how old you are. There are very, very few people who were thirty or fifty or sixty years old in 1999 who think Boondock Saints is anything other than an over-the-top cult movie. I can't imagine too many kids who are now sixteen or nineteen who would see it today, now that it is an "old" movie to them that was made before they were even born, and becoming rabid fans. But if you were 17-years-old in 2000, had never seen Pulp Fiction or Shallow Grave or Man Bites Dog or The Hit or Blue Velvet or Blood Simple or The Friends of Eddie Coyle and you and your best friend rented it from Blockbuster and watched in in your basement and loved it so much that you rented it two more times before you bought it, and the critics hated it which made you love it even more, I do understand why it is a special movie for you and why it boasts a 7.8 rating on the IMDb.
Is it too late to remove my early 90's movies? I now feel like a fraud.

Don't wanna say too much, but it feels like there are a few guesses here that don't incorporate the pre-colon part of the hint at all, and thus cannot be correct.

Just sayin'.
Rags to riches followed by a decline in fortune is not that uncommon an artist's story imo. Fits one of my suggestions I think

Much easier to devise a clue than sit on the other side of the fence and try to decipher it ya know

Just sayin'.

Don't wanna say too much, but it feels like there are a few guesses here that don't incorporate the pre-colon part of the hint at all, and thus cannot be correct.
Just sayin'.
Exit Through the Gift Shop and Bambi?

The Adventure Starts Here!
I expect the praise American History X gets is for not pulling any punches on a very disturbing subject. It probably seems trite now, but 20 years ago it really stood out. I didn't vote for it, and never came close to either, and I wouldn't quibble with the word "underrated," but neither am I perplexed as to why it had a profound effect on many of the people who saw it closer to its release.
Did you mean that you wouldn't quibble with the word "overrated"?

Did you mean to misspell "fawn" there?
I think it's fawned, i looked up on google and the word fauned turns into fawned

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

IMDb is an acronym. Netflix is not. YouTube is not. Don't you say, "I got money from the ATM today" or do you say, "I got money from ATM today" because you're young and hip and articles don't mean ****?

You probably definitely say "ATM machine", but that is another abuse of English for another time.

But editorially yes, instead of saying, "...it boasts a 7.8 rating on the IMDb" I could have said "...it boasts a 7.8 IMDb rating".
Thank you (says the proofreader)!

Also, "SWAT team" annoys me, although I've probably used the term that way. And a "hot water heater." (Why would you need to heat hot water?)

Now I'm dangerously close to a George Carlin routine...

I think it's fawned, i looked up on google and the word fauned turns into fawned
That's why I asked. The way he's using the term, he would have spelled it "fawned." So I was asking if he purposely misspelled it in order to derive a very different meaning.

American History X Sometimes a movie can teach you many things. Thanks for that!

Bob Sweeney: I didn't get no answers 'cause I was asking the wrong questions. You have to ask the right questions.
Derek Vinyard: Like what?
Bob Sweeney: Has anything you've done made your life better?

Danny Vinyard: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time

That's why I asked. The way he's using the term, he would have spelled it "fawned." So I was asking if he purposely misspelled it in order to derive a very different meaning.
Very likely. Either way, don't think you'll get an answer!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Can't believe I forgot to put this on my list!! Ugh. Such a great film.
Darn!

10/10 but didn't feel that way the first time I saw it, but I also remember the VHS being very grainy, and the subtitles were in white, and I remember waking up at 4am, but on the second viewing, I LOVED it..

Darn!

10/10 but didn't feel that way the first time I saw it, but I also remember the VHS being very grainy, and the subtitles were in white, and I remember waking up at 4am, but on the second viewing, I LOVED it..
Everyone makes such a big deal about Rules of the Game. It's a great film, but to me, Le Grand Illusion is his masterpiece.