The biggest plot holes

Tools    

There are many many plot holes in film but which ones really annoy you and weakens the narrative of a solid movie up to that point.Of course there’s stuff like: how on earth does a donkey have sex with a dragon in Shrek, it’s an animated comedy so tricky to be upset.

I have to mention Shawshank redemption, how could the poster have been put back over the hole after they escaped???

Then there’s the matrix. How does Cypher go in and out of the matrix on his own when it’s abundantly clear that there must be an operator at hand to achieve this.

Armageddon - wouldn’t it have been easier to train astronauts to drill, rather than teaching a bunch of oil rig operatives how to pilot a mission into outer space?

The trick is not minding
Armageddon - wouldn’t it have been easier to train astronauts to drill, rather than teaching a bunch of oil rig operatives how to pilot a mission into outer space?
That was the original plan, actually, but Bruce Willis character convinced them that to drill he has to have a team he trusts. And his team was just that. The us, they replaced the astronauts.

I have to mention Shawshank redemption, how could the poster have been put back over the hole after they escaped???
The poster was held firm at the top. Perhaps had rocks, washers or whatever taped/glued to back side along the bottom, so as to just hang down. Earlier in the movie he showed this when starting to dig.

The biggest one I found was when he broke the pipe and all the poo came shooting out. Yet the pipe was empty when making his way to the creek.

That was the original plan, actually, but Bruce Willis character convinced them that to drill he has to have a team he trusts. And his team was just that. The us, they replaced the astronauts.
Yeah, that's not a plot hole. It's dumb writing.

EDIT: LOL, according to something I just read, Ben Affleck did raise that issue to Michael Bay during filming, and Bay told him to "shut the f*** up"

If you wanted the terminator to blend into American society why does it speak with a thick Austrian accent

If you wanted the terminator to blend into American society why does it speak with a thick Austrian accent
Yeah true, and this kind of reminds me of one of the many plot holes from Star Wars. If you wanted to protect young Luke from his father when he was just a boy then why keep the Skywalker surname. Kind of gives you away, it’s not a common surname say like Smith or Brown.

I remember having a big one for It Follows, but because I never care much about plot holes undermining anything, I put it out of mind and soon forgot about it.

Plot holes definitely used to bother me a tonne more when I was a kid. There were all sorts of things in Back to the Future that used to keep me up at night.

Plot contrivances=/= plot holes
I think that many things I think of as "plot holes" are just contrivances or bad/lazy writing.

In a recent film I watched there is a plot to frame someone. So the baddies disguise themselves to attack someone. Only, they don't wear any masks. And they attack the person in a bathroom with many reflective surfaces. So if the person didn't (1) avoid catching a glimpse in the mirror or (2) faint right on cue or (3) not look up, then the whole plan was a waste.

Now, something I do think is a plot hole is in the film In Darkness where
WARNING: spoilers below
the movie wants us to think a character is blind, but she really isn't. The problem is in a scene where she has her back to the bad guys and drops something important and she gropes around on the floor for it instead of looking down. No one would have seen her look down, to start with. And even if they did, her several moments of frantic groping around on the ground is much more suspicious and dangerous for her and seems like it would draw a lot more attention. Maybe you can call this a contrivance, but to me it makes zero sense from any point of view. It's a moment that exists only to fool the audience.

What movie is that? She's pretty, and so does the woman in the background showing her legs.
Space Mutiny. If you watch it, watch the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode for it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Die Hard 2

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
The terrorists are holding planes hostage in the air, by not allowing them to land, but why don't those planes just go to other airports? Isn't that a huge plot hole in the hostage planning?

Also, later on in the movie the villains are special forces guys, but they do not want the airport police to know they are the villains so they pretend to shoot at the terrorists with blanks in their guns because they do not want the police to know they are on the terrorist's side.

The terrorists also shoot back at the special forces guys with blanks as well to fool them. But it would make a lot more sense for the special forces guys to turn their guns on the airport police and just shoot them to death instead, of pretending to shoot each other with blanks, and fooling their airport police, when they don't need the airport police alive at all.

Great thread! Do you guys know the YouTube channel CinemaSins? In each video he literally dissects movies and tv shows.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CinemaSins

I often watch a movie and scratch my head on things. Damn me, I just can't seem to remember anything except Alien:Covenant. That movie was just so weird. Why would they visit a foreign planet without helmet? And sniff on flowers? Everything was so wrong with this movie...

Yeah true, and this kind of reminds me of one of the many plot holes from Star Wars. If you wanted to protect young Luke from his father when he was just a boy then why keep the Skywalker surname. Kind of gives you away, it’s not a common surname say like Smith or Brown.
Or Lars.