Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO)

Tools    

Also, this may sound weird, but I'm really struck by how aggressively asexual the production is. I guess that's impressive, and probably both intentional and necessary, given that two of the leads are people strutting around in skin tight body suits. But there's nothing remotely sexual about her flying around in attack mode even though she's basically a naked mannequin. Wondering how intentional this dissonance is, since the show is pretty much about reproduction.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

Me, seeing Yoda still posting here.

Me, reading Yoda @ SIX in!!!!

Me. Just me. At work.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
@ynwtf ... Based on Yoda's previous post here, are we assuming that he hasn't hit THAT EPISODE yet? (You know the one I mean.) I can't remember which episode THAT happens in, but he'd likely change his tune about the, well, the

WARNING: "SPOILERS FOR YODA" spoilers below
asexual stuff... Wait till Mother has her little encounter with the OG Campion!

I too am giddy that Yoda is still watching and therefore still posting. It's more fun than our original discussions because we can read his posts from a place of knowledge.

Well, whatever "knowledge" means in this case.

WARNING: spoilers below
you mean ...uh. The milk? lol

Pretty sure that hasn't happened, else there would be a reaction. At least! Also, all the more of a shocker to come!

Was gonna watch some more last night but watched Tenet and didn't quite find room in the evening. Definitely one or two tonight, though.
Tenet can be exhausting, IMO. I wouldn't want that to darken your experience with Wolves.

Okay, two more. Whatever totally insane thing you're waiting for me to get to apparently happens in the last two episodes. Either that or this show has raised my threshold for "totally insane" and I'm barely even phased by whatever it was.

Was not fooled by the "silicon tumor" thing at all, it was obvious what was going on there. I even turned to my wife like two episodes ago and said "...she's not actually gonna get pregnant from this, is she?" Obviously they've still got some 'splainin to do re: corporeal manifestations of things. I hope they've got something better going on than "it's a magic hole!" Though there's some psychosexual metaphors there, I guess.

The thing about them becoming the basis for the "next" religion (which might be the same one) still looks pretty good. But then, that's basically exactly what I thought would happen with Battlestar Galactica, too. But obviously the dramatic irony in the religion being founded by an atheist impostor with an atheist android acting as a God is pretty potent.

Wait... so, you got to the episode with the, well, we've been calling it the milk, and that didn't faze you? Because at the time, the rest of us here were responding mostly with a "What did I just watch?" reaction because it felt a little bit, well, overdone or gratuitous or... something.

Maybe you've been in this thread long enough to have been mentally prepared for all the weirdness. And it gets weirder. Honestly, without that link posted here to the article explaining a lot of the potential backstory and mythology, I would still be scratching my head at the end of this first season. I'm curious to see how close *YOU* get to understanding some of it without that link/article/thing, though.

And I was definitely thinking of your response to Battlestar Galactica's ending as one of those times when your own ideas (about Starbuck, especially) were far better than what actually happened.

Hmm, you mean the milk that rains down on them while they're doin' it?

I didn't really think that required an explanation, since the whole thing is effectively a dream sequence. She's inside a virtual environment. Obviously there's some kind of physical manifestation of that now, but it's not (or was not, until you asked about it) clear to me that we needed an explanation for all of it, since it's showing us a place we already know isn't real to begin with.

Anyway, we'll see where it all lands.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Reading Yoda write about Mother’s show, has been a highlight of week 51. Although I cannot relate to any of his analysis, I do feel like he is succumbing to the charm of the show, like everyone else.

Just know, whenever you are ready to record a podcast comparing the styling of Paul vs. C(h)ampion, I’m sitting in the front row, eagerly waving an arm, making “oooh-ooh-mee-mee” noises.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the defiantly missing "H" in that name. Also that kid looks like Kiernan Shipka and it freaks me out.

One episode left, will definitely finish tonight. Gettin' kinda worried they're not gonna be giving us much more, though.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Whaddya mean you ain’t got no answers?

At least you’ve been indoctrinated now. Hell. You might even have some sort of gravity defying lamprey inside of ya. Nothing makes sense!

Please tell me you found your inspiration for the next great MoFo essay.

I mean, I guess I might watch a second season, out of morbid curiosity. But yeah, sorry, "there's just this powerful entity that does whatever it wants to the characters" is kinda dumb, narrative-wise, especially from a sci-fi show.

The sad thing is there's a version of this that works fine. If it's gradually revealed that the planet itself is a living entity with a will, cool. But that means it can do things like, I dunno, localize earthquakes to coerce people to leave and do/not do certain things, to achieve what it wants. Not "it can manifest dead people as ghosts to influence the living." It'd have to be a lot subtler and make sense in retrospect.

I mean, I guess I might watch a second season, out of morbid curiosity. But yeah, sorry, "there's just this powerful entity that does whatever it wants to the characters" is kinda dumb, narrative-wise, especially from a sci-fi show.

The sad thing is there's a version of this that works fine. If it's gradually revealed that the planet itself is a living entity with a will, cool. But that means it can do things like, I dunno, localize earthquakes to coerce people to leave and do/not do certain things, to achieve what it wants. Not "it can manifest dead people as ghosts to influence the living." It'd have to be a lot subtler and make sense in retrospect.
See, this is what I meant by YOUR ideas being BETTER than the show's ideas.

Now, go a few pages back in this thread and read that article that someone else posted a link to. It's really fascinating and makes FAR more sense of the story than we did. The frustrating part is that it's all extra-canonical and doesn't REALLY come easily from simply watching the show cold. But it's a great way to feel better about the ten hours you lost.

I didn't see an article, but I did see a 30-minute video. We watched some of them (we skipped a lot of the recap) last night. Was it that or was it definitely an article?

Sorry... yeah, it was a video. Had all sorts of thoughts on the mythology, etc., I think I commented not long after the link posted that I'd watched it and it helped.

Yeah, think that's probably what we saw, then. Some good stuff. We'd noted all the birth symbolism, for sure. It collected some extra evidence we'd missed, but mostly about things we'd already concluded from a fraction of those examples (like it being cyclical, which is obvious, but we missed the significance of the cave drawing to kind of confirm and expound on that).

He was very good/thorough, though the main takeaway was "okay, you're not stupid, it really is just 'Planet God does Magic Things.'"

Made the momma watch EP1 during the holidays. To my surprised she was really into it. She watched EP2 while I drove home. Last night---WOAH* (I'll come back to this)---she started EP3. I think I set the hook.

*woah: she just texted telling me she's already finished the season!! Moms are so great!!

I am the Watcher in the Night
I have seen about 4 or 5 episodes and the show is all over the place. It is so poorly made which is sad as the premise is interesting and the two main leads are very good.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"