The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think the logic there is simply reduce the importance of weighting. It doesn't just inflate numbers, it reduces the relative distance between the two. Right now the 1st film gets 25 times as many points as the last film, but under that suggestion, it would receive just under twice as many.

Anyway, I think we should discuss stuff like this in one of the existing threads about general future list stuff.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Star Wars: A New Hope was a blast when I watched it as a kid. My guess is I'd still like it now because I like almost everything Star Wars.
Young Frankestein was good although I wasn't crazy about it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomorrow's hint:

Terminator 2 (I would be real mad if it's T1) and Truman Show.

“Discover who you are” could refer to a lot of movies. So I’m going with The Matrix.

I don't even know how to rate Star Wars anymore. It's impression on me is indelible. It mattered the way things need to matter when you're a kid. But I also think if I saw it at any other time in my life, I wouldn't have given a **** about it. Not that it isnt good, just that I wouldn't know how to relate to its sincerity and naivety. It might cause me to overlook all of its charms, which are abundant. It obviously deserves to be recognized on these sorts of lists. I'm only surprised it's not higher

Young Frankenstein I like more as a homage than a parody. Never has a movie spent more time lovingly rendering all of its details, only to poke fun of its subject. It feels as lavish and as elegant as Whales original. The laughs for me are fairly spread out, and are almost exclusively devoted to the Gene Hackman scene, which is perfection in so many ways. Putting On The Ritz is also worth noting. Very good movie, one of the few comedies I consider a piece of art.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I don't even know how to rate Star Wars anymore. It's impression on me is indelible. It mattered the way things need to matter when you're a kid. But I also think if I saw it at any other time in my life, I wouldn't have given a **** about it. Not that it isnt good, just that I wouldn't know how to relate to its sincerity and naivety. It might cause me to overlook all of its charms, which are abundant. It obviously deserves to be recognized on these sorts of lists. I'm only surprised it's not higher
I feel that as I've aged and watched so many more films that Star Wars has slipped further and further back, same as you though it was so special as a kid. So I've only one space for Star Wars and it's not a New Hope.

Young Frankenstein
...Everything is funny to me, except the Putting on the Ritz scene. I learned in the DVD extras that Gene Wilder who wrote the script hated that scene which was the only part of the movie wrote by director Mel Brooks. Wilder called that scene a conceit to the audience. Both men were good friends but grew quit angry over this one scene. Still a great movie!
Close. The inverse of that. The entire concept of Young Frankenstein was Wilder's original script idea, and together Gene and Mel fully wrote it and brought it to life. Brooks is the one who thought the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene was too much. Wilder argued for it, passionately. Angrily. According to Wilder, it was the only fight they ever had over the three films (The Producers, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein) and a lifetime of friendship. When Brooks saw that Wilder felt that passionately about the scene that he would argue so long and so hard for it, he trusted his judgement and left it in. The rest is cinematic history.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Close. The inverse of that. The entire concept of Young Frankenstein was Wilder's original script idea, and together Gene and Mel fully wrote it and brought it to life. Brooks is the one who thought the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene was too much. Wilder argued for it, passionately. Angrily. According to Wilder, it was the only fight they ever had over the three films (The Producers, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein) and a lifetime of friendship. When Brooks saw that Wilder felt that passionately about the scene that he would argue so long and so hard for it, he trusted his judgement and left it in. The rest is cinematic history.

Thanks Holden...I just read about that and yes you're right, I did have that partially backwards, though I still don't like that scene

I know a movie that should be on this top 100 but I doubt it will make it..

We Need To Talk About Kevin.

The Adventure Starts Here!

Thanks for this clip. I got a little choked up, I admit. He was always my biggest "movie crush" since 1974, and I miss him.

He really should have combed his hair more, though.

I know a movie that should be on this top 100 but I doubt it will make it..

We Need To Talk About Kevin.
Thats a good movie! I agree

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
When this countdown was announced, I was sure that Star Wars: A New Hope would be somewhere on my Top 25 list, but as I narrowed down my list, it slowly got pushed down the list, until it was eventually pushed off the list completely. To be honest, I'm not really sure how that happened because it's one of my favorite movies. I'm glad to see that it made the list, but I thought it would have been higher.

I watched Young Frankenstein for a recent HoF, and while I think it's a good movie, I also think that it's overrated. This is one of those movies that I really wanted to like more than I did, but no matter how many times I've seen it, it just seems to miss the mark a little for me.

And about the hint for Star Wars, my first thought when I read the hint was The Empire Strikes Back, but then I thought that must be wrong because technically,
WARNING: "SPOILER for "The Empire Strikes Back"!!!" spoilers below
Darth Vader IS his real dad,
so doesn't that mean that the hint is wrong?