Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
A League of Their Own

Marshall, 1992

Wonderful period piece with an excellent cast and a ton of heart. Watched this with my daughter, who is only 21 months old. She looked up at me and said "Play ball?"

Wow. I thought this one was an 11/10.
I understand if someone would rate it that high, it has all the qualities needed.

The Town - ����������

⬆️ Very good movie.

Good movie. Alfre Woodard killed in her rôle. And she looks fantastic considering she was born in 1952. She really does.

Christmas Story - I know one of the Turner stations will be running this non-stop for 24 hours sometime next week but since my cable was out and I felt like something Christmas-y I figured what the hell.

I'll have to be honest and admit that when I first saw this it didn't do much for me. I thought it was corny and found Jean Shepherd's narration annoying. But I've warmed up to it considerably over the years and now share the majority opinion of it being a nostalgic and enduring classic. That has mostly to do with Darren McGavin and Melinda Dillon as Ralphie's mom and dad. McGavin is pitch perfect as "the old man" and Dillon is also exceptional as the calm and kind hearted Mrs. Parker. Peter Billingsley is also aces as Ralphie. And Shepherd's voiceover contains a lot of subversive and genuinely funny humor. It's not corny or annoying and I was dead wrong to ever think that. 90/100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Illusions (Julie Dash, 1982)
6/10
Cabin in the Sky (Vincente Minnelli, 1943)
6.5/10
Alabama Snake (Theo Love, 2020)
6/10
Lilies of the Field (Ralph Nelson, 1963)
+ 6.5/10

"Mama, the Book says 'the laborer is worthy of his hire', so pay up."
Sylvie's Love (Eugene Ashe, 2020)
6/10
The Joy Luck Club (Wayne Wang, 1993)
+ 6.5/10
Esau (Pavel Lungin, 2019)
6/10
The Wayward Girl (Edith Carlmar, 1959)
6.5/10

That's only part of what Liv Ullmann could be called in her debut.
Funny Boy (Deepa Mehta, 2020)
6/10
I Love My Mum (Alberto Sciamma, 2018)
5/10
Kalel, 15 (Jun Robles Lana, 2019)
5.5/10
Rose Island (Sydney Sibilia, 2020)
6.5/10

Crowd pleaser about free spirit engineer Tom Wlaschiha who builds an island outside of Italy's territorial waters but the country isn't too happy about it.
Sworn Enemy (Edwin L. Marin, 1936)
+ 5/10
Giving Voice (James D. Stern & Fernando Villena, 2020)
6.5/10
A California Christmas (Shaun Piccinino, 2020)
6/10
Wittgenstein Plays Chess With Marcel Duchamp, Or How Not to Do Philosophy (Amit Dutta, 2020)
7/10 17 min

Awesome animation showcasing art, chess, philosophy and life.
The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (Francis Ford Coppola, 1990)
7/10
Education (Steve McQueen, 2020)
- 6.5/10
The Disrupted (Andre Welsh, 2020)
5/10
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (George C. Wolfe, 2020)
+ 6.5/10

1927. Up-and-coming Chadwick Boseman and longtime songstress Viola Davis fight all the time but they really want the same thing. Great acting and August Wilson dialogue/themes but somehow lacking.

Blood on the Moon - 1948 Western about down on his luck range hand Jim Garry (Robert Mitchum), who accepts an offer of work from old friend Tate Riling (Robert Preston). He inadvertently rides into the middle of an orchestrated dispute set up by Riling and a crooked Indian agent. They plan on cheating a local rancher out of his cattle and reselling them for a huge profit. The rancher's daughter (Barbara Bell Geddes) gets involved and takes a liking to Garry. Walter Brennan also stars in a well written role as a neighboring rancher.

This could almost count as a noir Western if there's such a thing. Mitchum, of course, lends an air of legitimacy to the proceedings. The man had a certain je ne sais quoi to him that's for sure.And there are other elements to this that elevate it above your typical oater. There's a saloon brawl that's anything but your typical Western trope and the script is smart. The cinematography is also notable. 80/100

Barbarella (1968)
Jane Fonda.
Cool, fun, awsome visual style. I have been trying to catch up on a few older sci fi movies. I saw Forbidden Planet not long ago, and i really enjoy these old, colorful sci fi movies.

Tenet (2020)

This could almost count as a noir Western if there's such a thing
Criterion channel had a whole collection a few months back that, if I recall correctly, was about the overlap of noir and Westerns.

Criterion channel had a whole collection a few months back that, if I recall correctly, was about the overlap of noir and Westerns.
Not only that, but Blood on the Moon was one of the featured titles.

Chameleon Street -

This is the true story of William Douglas Street, Jr., a black Michigan man who left his steady yet low-paying alarm installation career for one of extortion and impersonation. He passed himself off as a reporter, a lawyer and a surgeon, and unlike what Catch Me if You Can posits about Frank Abagnale, he could perform these roles' duties (he did over 30 successful hysterectomies, for instance). Speaking of that movie, while it's similar structurally, it is much different stylistically and thematically. It is also about what goes into a successful impersonation and that all of us play parts from time to time - it also reminded me of Being There in this regard - but it says a lot about how too many black people must sacrifice their identities to keep up in the American rat race. Wendell B. Harris, Jr., who also wrote and directed, is charismatic, fearless and very funny as Street. With the aid of a voice fit for radio, he makes Street a classic smooth talker, which makes it easy to understand why he could play so many parts and succeed at something he did in each one: woo women. The scene where he does this while interviewing an upcoming tennis player gave me a good laugh as did one where he pretends to be a foreign exchange student and spouts nonsensical phrases to the delight of his classmates who believe - or want each other to believe - his gibberish is enriching them culturally. Where Harris's acting and writing talent truly shine, however, are in his impassioned digs at his lighter-skinned fellow citizens. They shocked me for their pointedness and honesty despite the movie's age, and while the studios' explanation for the movie's limited distribution is its lack of marketability, I wouldn't be surprised if scenes like these are an actual reason. Like Idiocracy, a movie that suffered a similar fate, studios may have assumed that the movie would have fanned too many flames. I have namedropped many other movies in this review, but Chameleon Street is very much its own entity. It's a rough around the edges and obviously low budget entity, but it makes up for it with its uniqueness, ingenuity and fearlessness to end up being being a movie bound to intrigue anyone interested in white-collar crime or American race relations.

You're My Boss (Filipino): 8/10

There was the lighting and the cinematography and an overall vibe to this that led me to that observation. But in particular there's a scene
WARNING: "" spoilers below
right after that barroom brawl I mentioned when Walter Brennan shoots the hired gun who's about to kill an incapacitated Mitchum. You hear the shot and the guy drops and then the camera cuts to Brennan's character Kris Barden standing there in silhouette with the gunsmoke swirling around him.
Pretty cool stuff. Good movie.

There was the lighting and the cinematography and an overall vibe to this that led me to that observation. But in particular there's a scene
WARNING: "" spoilers below
right after that barroom brawl I mentioned when Walter Brennan shoots the hired gun who's about to kill an incapacitated Mitchum. You hear the shot and the guy drops and then the camera cuts to Brennan's character Kris Barden standing there in silhouette with the gunsmoke swirling around him.
Pretty cool stuff. Good movie.
Here's an article you might enjoy. (For some reason I can't find the list of the collection they had up before, maybe it's the same collection?).

I ended up watching Man with the Gun and quite liked it. It was a fun deconstruction of the old thing where someone comes to a town to face off against the local baddies.

SOUND OF METAL
(2020)

A powerful drama from Amazon Studios. I expect an Oscar nomination for Riz Ahmed, who delivers a career-defining performance as a recovering drug addict drummer who loses his hearing. I also expect nominations for the female lead Olivia Cooke, and a Supporting Actor nod for Paul Raci who plays the role of a deaf recovering alcoholic running a deaf community.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa