The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

As much as I wanted to have a/some Star Wars on my list, they ultimately all got cut.
Haven't seen Young Frankenstein for years

My List  

A system of cells interlinked
I was surprised by how much I liked A League of Their Own, and I don't even like baseball. Smart movie script.
I watched that this morning with my daughter before I went to work. She is now old enough to look up at me and say "Play ball?"

Anyway, love that movie. Excellent period piece with a great cast.

It feels WAY to early for Star Wars.

When I'd ask my dad what he thought the greatest movie of all time was he had a few guesses. One of them was Young Frankenstein.

Welcome to the human race...
Heh, that's almost as much as Star Wars dropped between my different top 100s. Wonder what changed there. Anyway, that should indicate that I also thought it was top 3 material once but have long since dropped it to the point where I don't think it would make a personal top 100 if I wrote one today. Still good, though.

Young Frankenstein is a generally solid comedy and I can't argue too much with its status as a classic (apart from the odd joke that gets a little too off-colour for my liking, of course).

I think I was just about the perfect age for the first Star Wars at the cinema and whilst I don't think quite the same of it some 43 yrs later it's still a movie I enjoy and think it deserves a place on a list such as this. Helluva drop though.

Young Frankenstein is my favourite Mel Brooks movie so I'm very happy to see it 'putting on the ritz' here.

Seen: 19/24 (Own: 6/24)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
76. Letter From An Unknown Woman (1948)
75. Interstellar (2014)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It feels WAY to early for Star Wars.

When I'd ask my dad what he thought the greatest movie of all time was he had a few guesses. One of them was Young Frankenstein.
Nah its hard with franchises, you only have 25 votes so don't want to waste votes on multiple entries. Most times I think people are only going to vote for 1. I think Empire will do very well, hopefully top 10.

Nah its hard with franchises, you only have 25 votes so don't want to waste votes on multiple entries. Most times I think people are only going to vote for 1. I think Empire will do very well, hopefully top 10.
I think this is kinda it, yeah. Changing tastes, sure. New people, sure, but series' like this are definitely a bit hurt by the format. Notice it was on nine lists, though, which is the most so far (none had even been on eight before this, and it's gonna be a bit before we get to another film on that many ballots, and even longer until we get to a film that's on more).

I have no doubt Attack of the Clones will crack the Top 5

No, that's ok. It's good discussion. And like I said, they're both very close to me. I just lean more towards Spacey.

That said, I should probably check out those Hanks films I haven't seen, especially A League of Their Own.
IMO Spacey as an actor has a much broader range than does T. Hanks. Hanks is a reliable bankable professional whose standing augments most pictures he's in. But it seems to me that Spacey has been convincing in a more varied repertoire. It's true that Hanks showed some different stuff in Forrest Gump, but most of his later career has been relatively similar in tone.

As far as Spacey's alleged transgressions, it's stunning that Hollywood puts its hypocritical piousness on full display by condemning one of their own; a town that has no bottom to its depravity.

A system of cells interlinked
HUGE drop for Star Wars, which I think is indicative of how much the demographic here at MoFo has shifted in the past 10 years.

I have seen both, but neither film was on my list.

Star Wars was a massive part of my childhood. I was one of the Gen X kids that had all the swag, or, as much as my poor Mom could afford, anyway. I had the bed sheets, lunch box, PJs, action figures, and was even lucky enough to have a ship or two. I spent countless hours with my elementary school friends playing out the scenes from the films, running around pretending to be an x-wing pilot, rescuing the princess, defeating Vader. The films get a gigantic nostalgic boost whenever I think about them. As a more discerning adult, hey, they are still pretty damned good, These days, they are getting a bit long in the tooth, especially if you tend to watch the De-specialized original version of Star Wars (no New Hope) from 1977, which I have a copy of. It seems almost quaint. It's a fun, swashbuckling romp, and I look forward to watching it with my daughter once she is old enough to understand what is going on. Alas, Star Wars was never really in contention for a spot on my list.

Vader would not be pleased.

Young Frankenstein is also excellent, but was not considered for my list.

Young Frankenstein was one I did not even consider, but you're all reminding me how good of a comedy it is and how badly i need to re-watch it.

I will never not laugh with just how fast and violently his cup collides with the other

(The abby normal scene is also a banger)

West Side Story is a film that I've long had a problem watching. Not because I don't want to but because somehow I keep missing it when it airs...anywhere. I've also recorded it a couple of times and one time erased it to make room for something else (I forget what but it was important to me at the time ) and the other time there was a cable glitch and everything recorded on the DVR got erased. It's almost as if the fates don't want me to watch it. I have seen bits of it before I really got interested in it---and it was those bits, or scenes that make me want to see it. I've seen the opening and the Gee, Officer Krupke! number and a bit where a younger kid (I think it's a girl trying to act like one of the boy gang members) wants to prove herself and gets sent on some mission or takes it upon herself---I didn't get to see what happened. I am interested. I mean, Robert Wise is one of my favorite directors just for his sheer body of work, and I love Natalie Wood, so, one day, one day.
West Side Story is a simple Romeo and Juliet tale-- nothing overly remarkable there. But it's the stunning music by Leonard Bernstein, and also the interesting dance numbers by Jerome Robbins that make WSS a memorable production.

I think that people who feel that musicals in general are awkward or pretentious wouldn't consider WSS to be a great film. After all, there's not as much non musical story in it than, say, La La Land. But for those who consider the unique production values of a good musical, WSS is an innovative first class production.

I saw Star Wars at the movies when I was 6 and loved it for several years. I don't feel the same way now.

Young Frankenstein is one of the greatest comedies but didn't make my ballot.

"Star Wars" was such an adventure to witness on the big screen. It completely blew my mind as a teen. Such a simple plot, good vs. evil...in space! Another film I tried to squeeze into my list but fell short.

" Young Frankenstein" is my favorite, all-time comedy and so happy to see it make the cut. Filming it in B&W was brilliant and added much to the story. A great story and a damn entertaining spin on the novel and earlier films.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

18/22 seen
1/16 on clues (I'm done here, point made...)
3/25 off list

#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts- #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

Master of My Domain
HUGE drop for Star Wars, which I think is indicative of how much the demographic here at MoFo has shifted in the past 10 years.
Curious what you mean by a demographic shift. Are you suggesting that new MoFo members skew younger, so are less likely to vote for Star Wars?

Wow! Star Wars was my 21. This is a shocker. When we were taking about rewatching movies this is the one I was referring to that almost didn't make my list because I have watched it a couple too many times. It was such a huge part of making me a movie guy though. I couldn't leave it off. I loved all things Star Wars and I still am in on the universe. I would be lying if I didn't say that the fatigue is starting to set in.

Anyway, this remains my favorite because it's the introduction to everything I came to love about Star Wars. Really shocked this isn't top 20, but given everything I just said I shouldn't be. I think a lot of us that grew up with it are starting to feel the same way. The demographic here is a lot younger than me too so I am sure when you don't have that nostalgia connection the fatigue sets in even sooner.

Haven't seen Young Frankenstein.