The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
And why on Earth did West Side Story make this list? It's ok but doesn't deserve to be on this.

I do like American Beauty. But it's also not near getting my vote though.

Gotta wonder if this is it for Musicals now.

West Side Story is a movie I actively dislike, probably the only time I will say that with this list

I thought American Beauty was fine. I'm more surprised than upset that it's here. Wouldn't be anywhere near my favorites but I see why people like it even if I didn't think they did anymore.

And why on Earth did West Side Story make this list? It's ok but doesn't deserve to be on this.

I do like American Beauty. But it's also not near getting my vote though.

Gotta wonder if this is it for Musicals now.
I think Singing In The Rain makes it, not counting out Wizard Of Oz yet either.

Master of My Domain
I saw American Beauty a long time go, decently liked it, but haven't revisited it since.

Have not seen West Side Story the movie, but there was a time when a few of the musical's songs were fixtures in my playlists. My appreciation of the music only grew when I discovered this cool POV video of a professional percussionist, who plays multiple instruments (sometimes simultaneously!) to keep up with the musical's blistering tempo. Check it out:

WSS is an odd one to show, never even realised it had a chance tbh.

I have a bit of unwarranted dislike for it though.
We did it at school as part of a play, we had to sit and watch it and then learn the songs... then basically a class of over 40 8 year olds standing round on a stage looking bored singing "I want to be in Ameh-ree-cah" in an awkwardly off tune chorus.

Need to revisit the movie tbh and see if I'd still hate it.

Unregistered User
WSS is up there with my favourite musicals but it never stood a chance of making my list. American Beauty I liked, but dont have any real desire to rewatch it again. Im surprised at both making a top 100 list.

It's been a loooong time since viewing "West Side Story" but remember it being one of my favorites in a genre I don't really care for. For that lame statement only , the film deserves a slot on the list. Still think "La La Land" will land a slot, another of my faves that didn't make my list.

"American Beauty" is number ten on my list. Upon viewing the film in the theater, it was my favorite film. After many more viewings it's slipped some but still powerful. What I loved most is there isn't a likable character in the whole damn movie. Quite a feat to have a film work with so many negatives.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

16/20 seen
1/14 on clues
2/25 off list

#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

I never would've guessed West Side Sotry, but I'm glad I got American Beauty right.

That movie's almost perfect, but there was a SERIOUS revealing mistake at the end.

WARNING: spoilers below
The film (somewhat) gives away the ending in the first scene.

Re: West Side Story making it. Wasn't on my list, but you can see, given that it was on just four lists, that it made it because a few people really love it. Those kinds of films always make it higher than we'd expect on lists like this.

In fact, there are only TWO more films on the list that are on just four lists and you'll see both of them in the next week. All the others are on at least five, and a week from now all the remaining films will be on at least six.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Feel like I've only watched American Beauty once or twice fully near release. Will have to give it another watch.

West Side Story is okay--for me one of those films that hasn't aged particularly well, but its cultural impact is hard to deny. I'm meh on American Beauty in particular and Sam Mendes in general, who I think of as kind of an English Ron Howard, delivering a lot of polished and servicable mediocrities that have little of interest to say.

The film (somewhat) gives away the ending in the first scene.

That's not what I meant. If Spacey was shot in the back of the head and blood splattered on the wall in front of him, how come there was no hole in the front of his head? And why was his murderer's shirt blood-soaked if the blood splattered the other way?

I love West Side Story. I saw it a couple years ago and was impressed by how well it held up. The acting, visuals, music, and dancing impressed me a great deal. Happy to see it here. With that being said, the 1968 Romeo and Juliet is my favorite adaptation of the play. I tend to prefer Shakespeare adaptations which don't modernize the plays as, in my experiences, doing this can often lead to awkward moments which feel unnatural when set in modern or more recent time periods. The 1968 version though is not only right up my alley, but also a strong film in that regard.

I remember liking American Beauty quite a bit when I first watched it, but it has declined somewhat for me over the years. While it didn't seem like the film was defending Lester's actions, it did appear to be making a case for them, with how he found peace by being a perverted creep to those around him and that didn't sit right with me. I did like some of the performances, but overall, I think it's kind of overrated.

That's not what I meant. If Spacey was shot in the back of the head and blood splattered on the wall in front of him, how come there was no hole in the front of his head? And why was his murderer's shirt blood-soaked if the blood splattered the other way?

Good point, never really analyzed that too closely.

I only seen American Beauty which was alright I wouldn't consider it as a favorite, never saw WWS and probably never will see since I hate musicals.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Loved American Beauty when I was in high school. I still appreciate it now but I’m fine with it being on the lower end of this list. WSS is one of my favorite musicals. Neither made my list by a long shot whereas they might have when I was younger.

Woohoo! Finally a movie from my list!

You can thank me...or blame me as one of the four people who got WSS onto the countdown! I had it at #2 giving it a whooping 24 points.

West Side Story ( Robert Wise, 1961)

Wow, that was epic! No wonder West Side Story won a whopping ten Oscars including:
Best Picture

Best Supporting Actor: George Chakiris - Bernado
Best Supporting Actress: Rita Moreno - Anita
Best Director: Robert Wise, Jerome Robbins
Best Cinematography, Color
Best Music Score
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color
Best Costume Design, Color
Best Sound
Best Film Editing

What a lavish telling of a simple, yet effective tale. Boy meets girl from the wrong side of the tracks, the romance is doomed, with tragic results. Romeo and Juliet set to a street gang musical.

The movie has so many wonderful songs that I don't know where to start. The Jet Song, where we are first introduced to the Jets on the streets was a favorite. Both the song's melody and lyrics...as well as the choreography were perfect for that scene. Very cool!

Dance at the Gym...
loved it! that entire number, the colors, the movement, the song, everything about it. That was one of my favorites.

Gee, Officer Krupke! ...was hilarious, loved the way it was staged and loved the lyrics to the song, very naughtily clever.
.....Gee, Officer Krupke, Krup you!

I really liked Natalie Wood in this, she made a perfectly sweet Maria. My favorite characters/actors was Russ Tamblyn who finally got to do a substantial role here. He was a noted dancer, strong on gymnastics. I thought he made a pretty good leader of the Jets too. Same for the Sharks head man, Bernado -
George Chakiris, he was really intense, which fit the movie well. Also I liked Rita Moreno and the old candy store owner too.

All right that's enough writing....West Side Story is close to perfection. The look, the song numbers, the choreography and the tragic love story. Sublime.

When it comes to the story, and the connective tissue to the musical numbers, West Side Story really isn't much to me. But judging it on the meat that counts, the stage productions which they bring to life for the big screen, are pure cinema. The lighting, the editing, the sound. Get outta town if you don't see why it's deserving of the love, even though I would never consider it for my own list. Plus a lot of the music is great, and the slow title sequence during the films overture is one of Saul Bass' greatest because of its graphic simplicity.

I'm not going to hate on American Beauty too much, since I slept well and I'm listening to some pleasant music after having honey on toast for breakfast. I'm not a monster. But I don't see it as something that is deserving to really be remembered as the greatest of anything, unless it is a 'Remember the 90's! Kowabunga!" list on MTV. I don't particularly care about the film minimizing what a irredeemable lech Spacey (his character!) is, or its Three's Companying cliches, or its illusions of being profound or poetic (it's neither). It's a movie with a bunch of great performances (maybe not that Wes Bonerpill, or whatever is name was), and it can be funny from moment to moment. But **** suburbia and all its malcontents. I need more honey.

American Beauty almost made my list by one or two spots. Terrific movie that deserved the love it gets.