The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'd say it's better than it has any right to be. Ultimately unnecessary, but it still manages to stir up some interesting "new" ideas. And, like I said above, the animation is superb.
That sums up my reaction to it.

I just watched Akira for the first time last month. It was excellent, but I’d rate about 10 animes higher. It reminds me that I forgot to include one in particular, Paprika, on my list though.

I watched Akira for the 80's Teen Movie HoF hosted by our very own MovieGal. I wrote this:

Akira (1988)
I'm not a big fan of animation, though I've seen some animes that I really liked (Nausicaä Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away, Giovanni's Island) I liked those because then explored the human condition. I didn't care for Akira...BUT...I'm not saying it's badly made, in fact I think it was perfect for it's intended audience: teen boys and young males, especially those who were raised on video games and Saturday morning cartoons. It reminded me of cartoons like the Transformers were the characters have magic powers and can transform into strange and powerful beings. And it reminded me of the old 80s Sega video game Road Rage. Anybody play that one?

The animation was great looking and if you like lots of action with little character development, then this film might be to your liking. I'm far outside of the demographics, so this one didn't work for me.

Welcome to the human race...
Probable hot take, but both the third and fourth Toy Story films are equally necessary.

I tried watching Toy Story long ago but shut it off as I'm not really into animation....BUT it was nominated in the Pixar HoF hosted by M.I.A. Ahwell and so I did watch it and ended up loving it!

Toy Story (1995)

"I dug it! and I'll watch it again" Citizen Rules

I admit it, I use to torture my toys I had this old Superman action figure and tied him to a brick with a long chain around it and threw him into this rather nasty looking drainage stream. I'm pretty sure it had sewage run-off in it, gross! I tied one end of the chain to a wooden plank that spanned the ditch. So a few months later I came back and pulled up the chain.... and Superman was gone! It was kind of amazing...maybe he escaped like in Toy Story or maybe the chain slipped off the brick and he's still down there at the bottom of the stream?

Back to a couple of entries that I've been meaning to tackle, but haven't gotten around to:

Almost pulled the trigger on Akira this year, but was scared off by the fact Tubi had a dubbed version. I don't necessarily do dubbed. I'm more into subtitles. Anime is a weakspot, but did see Ghost in the Shell this year and thought it was pretty good.

Back in RT when I did a list of 100 films I wanted to see before I died, the Toy Story trilogy made the cut (I think Akira did as well). Over the years, I've seen more of 2 with its plot of Woody being tempted to join a group of toys over in a Japanese museum (can't believe I missed that clue). Oh and that one scene where the old guy comes and makes Woody like new felt like movie magic. And the scene where the cowgirl finds herself a victim of changing tastes of her owner.

But I do think the original would have resonated for me as well. I think it's the story that lingers long after the film has stopped, a plea to work out differences with one another and work together on a common goal.

Of course, I'll have to add the cost of a subscription to the coffers of a giant company in order to see this. But one eventually does what they have to do in order to get from point A to point B.

I thought the premise for Toy Store 4 was decent. It was an additional chapter to the life of Buzz and Woody. I know young adults, my daughter's age, love it. They love all the Toy Story films and they were excited to hear that after 9 years of waiting, after Toy Story 3, that it was coming out.

I have no problems revisiting the 4 films but I prefer other Pixar works. My favorite character of Pixar is Boo. Apparently, there is a cameo of her in one of the Toy Story films.

My favorite Pixar film (even the short films) is Piper.. even enough that when my daughter went to Florida, she sent me pictures of Sand Pipers.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Akira is spectacularly animated and action packed. I didn't vote for it nor did I vote for my fave of all the Toy Story movies - this, the original. I love all four.

I was only joking. I don't really require a thumbs down. And if there was one, I would likely never use it
The thought of giving a thumbs down to someone's post--even a post I fundamentally thought was trash--gives me anxiety.

Hmmmmm.....
Rango
and
Raging Bull

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Akira was high on my list at #5 and it's a huge favorite of mine. I didn't really expect it to make it, so I'm sort of pleasantly surprised.

It must be Tenet!

I was in Germany when both Akira and The Simpsons debuted. Yes they are a couple years apart, but back then we were lucky to get anything new released. I mean the wall came down in late '89.

The best I could do was VHS recordings from the fam' via snail mail earning that name.

I always thought Akira would have been so much better with a different sound track.

I did like it though, but it was so Speed Racer.

My guesses are Cuckoo's Nest and Rocky

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502