Tragic endings or happy endings?

Tools    

I also don't mind the ending as long as it fits the movie and intention of the story. What's important to me is the moment the end credits start to roll. The very second the movie ends and the screen faces to black - I tend to think that everything before was just to prepare that very instant. The movie leaves you behind with feelings you have to process for yourself.

I agree with you when it fits the story.

When it seems like the filmmaker threw something sad or tragic at the end just to evoke emotion from me as a viewer, well, I get put off because (1) now I'm sad and (2) at the same time I can feel that I'm being manipulated.

If a filmmaker is going to cynically toy with my emotions, I'd rather everyone in the movie be happy!
I write short stories and quite a few are tragic endings. I have a story idea that outdoes/equal to deSade which is very tragic. Someone asked me, "Why would you want it to end that way!?" because life for the character is very tragic.

Victim of The Night
Tacked on tragic endings make me almost viscerally angry, and I usually encounter them with subpar horror films.

Like, okay, this movie was mostly garbage. But you did get me to care just a little bit about their wellbeing. And then, for absolutely no reason, you kill them at the end just to be "edgy". NOPE.
Yeah, that's bull**** and irritates me.

Victim of The Night
The thing is that this always makes me think how a "happy" or "tragic" ending is all a matter of when you "stop" the story. It's all a matter of perspective and vision at the moment.
I been saying this for decades, just not about movies.

Victim of The Night
I'm talking about
WARNING: spoilers below
December Boys
. I thought that the epilogue probably worked in the original novel, but felt very awkwardly pinned on in the film.
And I thought you were talking about
WARNING: "spoilerific" spoilers below
Stand By Me

Victim of The Night
I also don't mind the ending as long as it fits the movie and intention of the story. What's important to me is the moment the end credits start to roll. The very second the movie ends and the screen faces to black - I tend to think that everything before was just to prepare that very instant. The movie leaves you behind with feelings you have to process for yourself.
You're clearly talking about No Country For Old Men.

Tragic Endings for me. I feel way more emotional about it

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Interesting bit of synchronicity, I just finished Le Havre and the ending pissed me off.

Would definitely fall under Takoma11's artificially tacked-on category.

Oh boy, I've definitely seen "No country for old men" but I don't seem to remember the exact ending. I think I watch too many movies

We are currently binging "Supernatural", I guess such an ending will await me there.

Another movie I really like for its ending is "Some Velvet Morning" with Stanley Tucci. Also apart from its ending I really appreciate the movie as an intimate play. "It's a disaster" is also one of those rare gems.

I don’t see what the big deal about NCOM ending is - the novel is more ambivalent, but it just shows Chigurh can get away with anything, doesn’t it? I guess it was reasonably novel at the time...

Victim of The Night
Oh boy, I've definitely seen "No country for old men" but I don't seem to remember the exact ending. I think I watch too many movies

We are currently binging "Supernatural", I guess such an ending will await me there.

Another movie I really like for its ending is "Some Velvet Morning" with Stanley Tucci. Also apart from its ending I really appreciate the movie as an intimate play. "It's a disaster" is also one of those rare gems.
You had me at Stanley Tucci.
But seriously, the last scene and cut to credits in NCfOM is just the bees knees.

Victim of The Night
I don’t see what the big deal about NCOM ending is - the novel is more ambivalent, but it just shows Chigurh can get away with anything, doesn’t it? I guess it was reasonably novel at the time...
I'm talking about the actual ending
WARNING: "sprlrz" spoilers below
which does not contain Chigurh at all, the part with Tommy Lee Jones telling his wife about his dream.
****ing masterpiece writing, directing, acting, ****ing lighting, everything.

I'm talking about the actual ending
WARNING: "sprlrz" spoilers below
which does not contain Chigurh at all, the part with Tommy Lee Jones telling his wife about his dream.
****ing masterpiece writing, directing, acting, ****ing lighting, everything.
Yes, I see. Agreed.

Can't even see where the knob is
I would love to be able to say that I'm an edgelord who loves downer endings, but the truth is....I don't. I don't necessarily hate them either, especially when they feel earned, but I generally prefer my endings to be neutral in tone. I don't need to be wowed every time. How about you give me something interesting and creative?

It depends on the story, Stallone should've died in[Daybreak]which wasn't bad.

I'd go for whatever works for the story- a bittersweet ending is something I prefer in general because it's truer to life and more nuanced. Things are rarely completely tragic or happy.

Also, in general people tend to be quite pessemistic so a tragic ending can be a cheap way of appealing to them. If you kill a nice character off, it's always going to be sad and saves the writer having to write, whereas a genuinely happy ending is harder to pull off because the characters will live on after the credits. The film not only has to convince us these characters are happy now, but that it won't all fall apart after happily ever after is done.

My 5 favourite movies: blade runner, memento, dark knight, Halloween (1978) and requiem for a dream all have rather tragic endings that leave things kind of ambiguous or at least for the protagonist it does or protagonists in terms of RFOD. It’s certainly a great topic for debate, obviously the narrative leading toward the end is key and how it’s written and performed to whether the conclusion works or not.