The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Eternal Sunshine is definitely one of my favourite films. Innovative, surprising, moving, memorable, heartbreaking, heartwarming.

I think it just missed out on my list. Very surprised to see it ranked this low. 25 films is not enough dammit!

We should each submit our top 100 and have an epic countdown of the Top 500 Films! It would only be a few more lines on the Excel spreadsheet; easy right?

Eternal Sunshine is definitely one of my favourite films. Innovative, surprising, moving, memorable, heartbreaking, heartwarming.

I think it just missed out on my list. Very surprised to see it ranked this low. 25 films is not enough dammit!

We should each submit our top 100 and have an epic countdown of the Top 500 Films! It would only be a few more lines on the Excel spreadsheet; easy right?
We tried to get Yoda and Suspect to do something like that. It would be fun for us! But a whole lot of work for them!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've only seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind once, but I liked it a lot. If I had thought to rewatch it for this countdown, it might have made my list.

I watched Rosemary's Baby for the horror countdown, but I didn't like it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Tomorrow's Hint:

Wrinkly, but strangely cute.

My first thought to that clue was the Shar-Pei:

But I don't know of any movies that feature this "Wrinkly, but strangely cute" dog breed.

So I'll just go along with the masses and guess "E.T." is one of the two movies, and maybe Yoda in "The Empire Strikes Back" for the second movie. (Although IMO it's still too low for both of these movies to show up.)

My Review of Rosemary's Baby:

Originally Posted by Dog Star Man
Rosemary’s Baby
(1968)

Roman Polanski conceives a masterpiece for the mainstream and the avant-garde sensibilities in this tour-de-force of horror-cinema.

Coming from a background of the experimental and the avant-garde in his native Europe; Roman Polanski entered Hollywood with a unique spin and style to Classical Hollywood narrative—and Rosemary’s Baby captures this blend superbly.

What makes Rosemary’s Baby unique as a horror film is the “horror” itself is done so indiscreetly that—should one miss the “horror’s” cues—you’d think you were watching a well-crafted melodrama with an ending that comes completely out of left-field. In other words, to have true enjoyment of a cinema like this, it requires the viewer to be an “active” participant in its undertaking—not “passive” one. One must think and think, and put the cues and the pieces of this visual puzzle together all along the way. And, when this puzzle has been assembled appropriately by the films end; it’s not so much “horror” we feel by that point—that perhaps was felt as you put the pieces together—but instead we feel a strange sense of intellectual beauty and accomplishment. That of a well-crafted work by a master of his own craft.

Truth be told, I can’t say I felt much fear or terror in my experience of watching Rosemary’s Baby. Such fear and terror was perhaps felt in another Polanski work, Repulsion. In either case, these films are not so much about the narratives they tell or the genres they adhere to—well, at least, not in themselves—but how they tell their narratives and the experiences they bring to the table.

In regards to breaking Classical Hollywood conventions and the ushering in of the “experiences” of more European sensibilities. One need to look no further than one of the most noticeable sequences in the film—a purely “avant-garde” surrealist- “dream” segment in which Rosemary is inseminated by Satan. (Rule of thumb here, good surrealism will always confuse you on initial glace—but good surrealism “reveals” itself in reflection, in memory, of putting it all together.) So what did this particular sequence mean in the film?

We start off in which Rosemary is drugged and then placed on her bed, she “dreams” that she is on her bed—but her bed is now floating on the ocean shore. From there this bed becomes a yacht on the docks, and she and others—both familiar and unfamiliar to us—are on the boat. (We then cut to outside her dream, someone is cutting off her clothes) —her nakedness transfers to her dream. We now see her being lifted up toward the paintings on the ceilings of the Sistine Chapel. Then she is back on the yacht, she is away from the docks now and the Sistine Chapel walls, and there’s terrible storm, she’s asked by the sailor to “go down below” —and now she’s in Hell. The rest of this sequence is very self-explanatory as she’s seeded by the beast.

So let’s look instead at what this sequence meant, with the oceans and the yacht and the Sistine Chapel.

The oceans represent her “drugged” state of mind that of what one might feel when they are drunk—but the yacht and the Sistine Chapel sequences are in tandem. Earlier on in the film there are two brief moments in which Rosemary’s faith in Catholicism is questioned, one in another minor “dream” sequence about the insensitivities of her nuns and yet another over a small conversation with Roman, Minnie, and Guy over dinner. This “small conversation,” (if paid attention to), is a “questioning” of her belief in God. The yacht is a representation of her life and of her faith in God—and exile from which. Why do I say this? After we move away from the famous paintings of the Sistine Chapel, (her faith in God), we find ourselves on this same yacht again—only in troubled seas to which the sailor in the dream commands her to “go down below” and from then on she’s in Hell—both metaphorically in the dream and literally in reality. She will birth the Antichrist and the witches needed someone who wasn’t a believer to be his mother.

Another European sensibility is how Rosemary’s Baby unravels its horrors and tells its narrative. Most of the chills and horrors themselves are done completely off-screen and any real association to them are done in aftermath. Unless paid close attention to detail, these can be large—and rather problematic—gaps to our understanding. For a person not actively “watching and listening” to the cues the film is providing, the film may seem to “skip” from one random event to the next—but these events are far, far from random. In fact, the film is rather deliberate in the ways it wants you to figure it out.

I’m hesitant to give such examples in this matter because truly the enjoyment of the film itself is paying close attention to these cues the film provides, which become pieces of a cinematic-puzzle, and the act of putting all these cues/pieces together to “form” an image of what the film was. Or rather, what it was alluding to.

Again I say, Rosemary’s Baby—like many “arthouse” films of its kin—demand a more “active” audience. If you go in to these films to be “swept away” or to leave your mind at the ticket booth—you will end up being rather disappointed, and perhaps frustrated and confused. These films are made to demand a deeper and keener awareness—again too I say, not a “passive” audience. Viewer beware.

My Rating:

10/10
Not to mention this, but like many horror films of the 60's and 70's these films were "loose" or often "direct" commentaries of American dominance and influence in the world and the horrors of our actions in Vietnam. Should it be any surprise that:

WARNING: spoilers below
The Antichrist manifests himself in the largest and perhaps most "influential" city on American soil?

No. I think not...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I figured this would probably happen but I thought of a movie I could/should have included in my Top 25. Badlands. And I just watched First Cow and liked it so much that it at least deserved consideration.

Besides E.T., i'm also thinking Little Big Man, also good guess by Jinnistan; The Elephant Man.

Thanks for the Mandalorian spoiler, MG..

Re the 2010s, I suspect I am virtually alone in that the most recent movie on my list came out in 2001,
Most recent on my list came out in 2002, oldest; 1940.

Tomorrow's Hint:

Wrinkly, but strangely cute.
People have already guessed the two that first come to mind (E.T. & Amélie) so I'll go outside the box just for s&g:
Wrinkles the Clown
Guardians Of The Galaxy

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 7 of the first 10 with 2 being from my last top 100.

Just Braveheart from my list.

Rosemary's is the worst film to make it so far though.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sorry to break it to you but you're the only person who voted for it.

Then it would have been listed in the "one-pointers"

If you have any criticisms of this movie, it's because you're only interested in mainstream junk

Robin Hardy is an amazing director/writer... I love his films.. The Wicker Man, The Wicker Tree and Forbidden Sun.

Thats why I like movies like Midsommar and Hereditary directed by Ari Aster...
I really dug Hereditary. However, Midsommar has become more problematic the more I think of it. Atmospheric, moody, well shot and well acted, but a bit too messy in terms of story and narrative.

It is true that a film can be pretentious. The issue is that this word is rarely ever used correctly. It's usually used to dismiss any weird/unconventional film simply for being weird.
Pretentious = I don't understand it and don't really want to.

Pretentious = I don't understand it and don't really want to.
From the movie's point of view...
Pretentious = Don't want you to understand it, but it'll get you on the internet talking about it.

From the movie's point of view...
Pretentious = Don't want you to understand it, but it'll get you on the internet talking about it.
Honestly, I have no issues with a movie (or song, book, poem, painting, etc.) that wishes to remain cryptic, yet open to interpretation. I don't see it as pretentious, but rather integral to art; to let the audience draw its own conclusions.

My guesses:
Wrinkly: Cocoon
Strangely Cute: Short Circuit?

ET is a good guess, though.