Your favorite slashers

Tools    

I go out for the evening.

I come home.

I see, "Oh, there's been some action in the slasher thread."
You're all wine drunk and turning this thread into the series that my 10 year olds love.

AND I'M HERE FOR IT

As someone who is not a big slasher film fan I was curious to see what people were saying were the best as to if I should check them out to see if it changed my thoughts on the genre. Was not ready for how off the rails this went but it sure was entertaining. Also reminds me of a role playing group I was in where we created a joke character named Stabby Joe who always warned people of not getting into the slashing game, it's a suckers game.

As someone who is not a big slasher film fan I was curious to see what people were saying were the best as to if I should check them out to see if it changed my thoughts on the genre. Was not ready for how off the rails this went but it sure was entertaining. Also reminds me of a role playing group I was in where we created a joke character named Stabby Joe who always warned people of not getting into the slashing game, it's a suckers game.
Have you seen most of the ones listed?

Victim of The Night
Wooley, why do you think M is a slasher film while Se7en isn't one?
I think M is a stretch as a Slasher to be honest, even though I put it there and I admit I did so erroneously.
M is a serial-killer film (that's what I was thinking of) as is Se7en. I would almost always categorize serial-killer films, which usually have a strong police-procedural element to them, as Thrillers, which is actually where I put M and Se7en and Silence Of The Lambs. Firmly and squarely Thrillers, I would not call any of those three films Horror films much less the more specific Slasher designation.
Sorry for the confusion.

Victim of The Night
I mostly agree (because the
WARNING: spoilers below
other two murders are more "place setting" for the ultimate stalking and attack on the main character.
).

But it did get me thinking about the difference between films in which the killer is fixated on one character and the other killings are just on the way to that person, and films in which there just generally is a killer and the final victim sort of just happens to be the one who survived the longest.
It's an interesting point about stalking one person for a reason and maybe some people get killed along the way versus a killer that is really intentionally taking out each victim and the Final Victim is final simply because they were last chosen or stumbled across or because they had managed to survive. I think that's a fascinating split relevant to what we're talking about.

Victim of The Night
Did you miss what I said? Wools and I believe, nay, we KNOW it is the greatest slasher.

Victim of The Night
Well, I, for one, am glad Keyser started this.
What a fun thread this has turned out to be.

Well, I, for one, am glad Keyser started this.
What a fun thread this has turned out to be.
Thanks, Wooley. I'm kinda glad we got a troll to troll. What genre should we lord over like a dictator next?

Have you seen most of the ones listed?
There are quite a few I have not, I've seen most of the major ones but I know second tier stuff and Giallos are basically barren. My trepidation always comes from that what many consider the seminal slasher, Halloween, was ultimately very meh to me. I like deconstructions of the genre like It Follows or Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon a lot more then the what I've seen of the actual genre.

There are quite a few I have not, I've seen most of the major ones but I know second tier stuff and Giallos are basically barren. My trepidation always comes from that what many consider the seminal slasher, Halloween, was ultimately very meh to me. I like deconstructions of the genre like It Follows or Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon a lot more then the what I've seen of the actual genre.
I would agree with that sentiment. I remember being bitterly underwhelmed by Halloween. Still don’t get the hype. I’ve watched it a few times since and I do appreciate it birthed the genre and all, and that horror has evolved... but it’s very meh indeed.

It Follows is a strange film, but fairly original. I don’t usually like to read too much symbolism into films, especially horror, but I thought the interpretation that it’s
WARNING: spoilers below
a parable for STDs
was pretty cool and made a lot of sense. On the other hand, I can’t say it’s particularly ‘scary’/disturbing.... but then again, I always say that.

Giallo comes in many forms. I was kind of apprehensive about it at first, but things like The Bird with a Crystal Plumage (which I know I keep mentioning it) are very stylish thrillers. I feel sometimes that giallo is just a style rather than a genre. Argento is hit-and-miss for me, but I thought Tenebrae was cool (and Suspiria, of course). Deep Red is not bad, either. But I liked Opera better.

Finally watching Freddy vs. Jason. I only got far enough in both franchises to watch this, so I haven't gotten to Jason X or New Nightmare. I just watched Jason Goes to Hell. It gets stupid, but it's an original breath of fresh air from the formula.

Finally watching Freddy vs. Jason. I only got far enough in both franchises to watch this, so I haven't gotten to Jason X or New Nightmare. I just watched Jason Goes to Hell. It gets stupid, but it's an original breath of fresh air from the formula.

But...Jason Goes to Hell is also one of the worst films ever made so....I'll take the formula...

But...Jason Goes to Hell is also one of the worst films ever made so....I'll take the formula...

The characters actually did things. Teens weren't just waiting to be killed. Besides, the dumb stuff was nowhere near as bad as Freddy's Dead.

Jason Goes to Hell has some of Nicotero’s best special effects/gore work.

It also says that Jason is a Deadite.

That’s about all the positives I’ve got and I’m one of the fools that bought that Scream Factory deluxe set.