The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All time just means all the decades, it doesn't mean has to include specific directors.
it doesn't have to be specific but archetypally those are some expected names to pop out, their films.
If we see another more gems like Sonatine make the list that will be nice tbh.

I think that non-English films will probably be under-represented. I had fewer on my own final list than I would have thought.
at least some improvement.
the previous list still likes a poor copy of IMDB but without much non-English stuff, they really can be count by fingers.
no mean to diss mofos at the time , I guess it's reflected the geist.

All the more reason to do a foreign film countdown next!
great idea.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The old list:

100. The Crow
99. Mystic River
98. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
97. Being John Malkovich
96. Double Indemnity
95. Spirited Away
94. Million Dollar Baby
93. Black Hawk Down
92. Moulin Rouge!
91. Leon (The Professional)
90. Good Will Hunting
89. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
88. American Beauty
87. Raging Bull
86. Schindler's List
85. Signs
84. Sonatine
83. Magnolia
82. Requiem for a Dream
81. Titanic
80. The Royal Tenenbaums
79. Cabaret
78. Quills
77. Cool Hand Luke
76. The Breakfast Club
75. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
74. Midnight Cowboy
73. To Kill a Mockingbird
72. Dances with Wolves
71. Lawrence of Arabia
70. Superman: The Movie
69. Dark City
68. Psycho
67. Back to the Future
66. The Princess Bride
65. Naked
64. All About Eve
63. The Wild Bunch
62. In the Mood for Love
61. The Shining
60. Fargo
59. The Blues Brothers
58. The Searchers
57. Withnail & I
56. It's a Wonderful Life
55. Aliens
54. City of God
53. North By Northwest
52. Singin' in the Rain
51. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
50. Silence of the Lambs
49. The Third Man
48. Heat
47. Reservoir Dogs
46. The Dark Knight
45. Seven Samurai
44. Rear Window
43. Lost in Translation
42. The Last of the Mohicans
41. Sense and Sensibility
40. Die Hard
39. 12 Angry Men
38. Once Upon a Time in the West
37. Saving Private Ryan
36. Ghostbusters
35. Memento
34. Amelie
33. Forrest Gump
32. American History X
31. Gladiator
30. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
29. Vertigo
28. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
27. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
26. A Clockwork Orange
25. The Lord of the Rings
24. Se7en
23. Star Wars: Episode V- The Empire Strikes Back
22. Citizen Kane
21. Braveheart
20. Blade Runner
19. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
18. Chinatown
17. Casablanca
16. 2001: A Space Odyssey
15. Goodfellas
14. Apocalypse Now
13. Unforgiven
12. The Godfather, Part II
11. The Shawshank Redemption
10. The Matrix
9. Jaws
8. The Big Lebowski
7. The Departed
6. Fight Club
5. Taxi Driver
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Star Wars
2. Pulp Fiction
1. The Godfather

You can also find it in the Lists section, along with all the others (both MoFo-specific countdowns and lists from outside sources, like AFI, Cannes, Ebert's Greatest Films, etc.) where you can check off movies you've seen so that we can secretly judge how well watched you are and mock your cinematic blind spots behind your back.
When you look at this list what films didn't make it that you thought would have?

I'm surprised No Country for Old Men isn't there. Despite being 2 years old. Was it too new at the time to be fully appreciated?

some frequent A-lister that in top of my head, that didn't make the previous list,

the seventh seal
bicycle thieves
8 1/2
tokyo story
paths of glory
sunset boulevard
any kurosawa beside seven samurai
any chaplin

and there will be blood too

You guys are overlooking that one of the one-pointers has to have Drew Barrymore in it - @honeykid did submit a list, after all. I am guessing maybe Batman Forever?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

MASSIVE props to Yoda for putting this together singlehandedly without any help whatsoever from anybody else on the forum! I mean, that’s just AMAZING. What a guy...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Hopefully things like The Crow, Blackhawk Down, and Royal Tenenbaums don't show up
Its quite interesting to see what films have started to be forgotten about. I wonder what % of the old list will survive. 60%?

When you look at this list what films didn't make it that you thought would have?

I'm surprised No Country for Old Men isn't there. Despite being 2 years old. Was it too new at the time to be fully appreciated?
It's definitely been my experience that very recent films suffer a penalty, rather than a bonus, in lists like these. More if they're decade or all-time or what have you, rather than genre affairs.

That said, I think there's still an overall recency bias, but I think it leads to films in the last 10-20 years getting a little boost, but films in the last 4-5 getting a lot less credit.

Not saying whether this list adheres to that, but that's been my observation leading up to this, at least...

Looking at that list from 2010, I'd say roughly 37 of those choices stick around.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Its quite interesting to see what films have started to be forgotten about. I wonder what % of the old list will survive. 60%?
I think I posted before, but I'm expecting only roughly 40% actually.

No "The green mile" and no "Midnight Express" in top100 it's a big problem in my opinion
They could easily replace Matrix and Star Wars.

Master of My Domain
*shakes head and 'tuts' loudly
I'm deeply ashamed and will atone for my sins by commenting regularly once the countdown begins

I'm deeply ashamed and will atone for my sins by commenting regularly once the countdown begins
Fret not, you're in good company

I've seen 68 movies on the 2010 list. Hopefully, I'll see more from this list.