The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh

→ in
Tools    

@Yoda - hopefully you guys do a few movies at a time instead of just revealing the whole list first like some of the countdowns have it. I can't stand when the lists is revealed first, it ruins the anticipation imo.

@Yoda - hopefully you guys do a few movies at a time instead of just revealing the whole list first like some of the countdowns have it. I can't stand when the lists is revealed first, it ruins the anticipation imo.
Which other countdowns are you talking about? We've always done it where it's 2 films a day and until we get to the top 10 or 20, then it's one a day. If you're looking at the list threads after the countdown is complete, then the entire list will appear in the first or second post, but that's because the host typically keeps a running list as a quick reference for people who are browsing. They don't reveal the whole thing at once.

Which other countdowns are you talking about? We've always done it where it's 2 films a day and until we get to the top 10 or 20, then it's one a day. If you're looking at the list threads after the countdown is complete, then the entire list will appear in the first or second post, but that's because the host typically keeps a running list as a quick reference for people who are browsing. They don't reveal the whole thing at once.
The 70s, 80s and 90's Mofo top 100 movies countdown threads, they reveal the whole list first instead of just revealing a few movies at a time.

Like in this thread - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...highlight=mofo they don't start the list off first, instead they reveal a few movies a day.

No they were revealed 2 at a time, day by day.

I think the entire list may have been added to the OP once the countdown was finished.
Ah ok, thanks for telling me, I never knew since this is my first time participating in a countdown list

Only two a day? That's way too slow. I can see 5 a day but taking seven weeks to reveal a top 100 when users want to compare their own votes?

Only two a day? That's way too slow. I can see 5 a day but taking seven weeks to reveal a top 100 when users want to compare their own votes?
That's how I did my top 100 movies, revealed 5 a day, I think it's better then revealing 2 day.

The 70s, 80s and 90's Mofo top 100 movies countdown threads, they reveal the whole list first instead of just revealing a few movies at a time.

Like in this thread - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...highlight=mofo they don't start the list off first, instead they reveal a few movies a day.
As I said, if you're looking at the thread after the countdown is complete, then the entire list will appear in the first or second post because the host will keep a running list there (edited in as they are revealed, usually with links to the posts where the films were revealed). The whole list doesn't get posted at the start.

That's how we've always done it and will continue to do it.

That's how we've always done it and will continue to do it.
Tone seems a bit demanding, besides change can be a good thing.

Why can't I take back accidental likes?

Tone seems a bit demanding, besides change can be a good thing.
It's not demanding, it's a statement of fact.

I'm not sure why you're acting like this is news. This isn't your first forum wide countdown.

It's not demanding, it's a statement of fact.

I'm not sure why you're acting like this is news. This isn't your first forum wide countdown.

You know I've been on and off on these forums and will leave for months, right? Your tone is very authoritative.

And to Yoda, I understand that but how often does Movieforums get a lot of activity? There are threads on RYM and they are occasionally bustling, and 96% of the time they turn out fine. Besides it doesn't change the fact that 50 days is way too long, and I'm certain I am not the first member to express this.

Your tone is very authoritative.
I mean, it would be if she were just declaring it for no reason, but the pace is mentioned in the original post, so she's just citing a fact, which is probably why it sounds so blunt.

And to Yoda, I understand that but how often does Movieforums get a lot of activity? There are threads on RYM and they are occasionally bustling, and 96% of the time they turn out fine.
I don't know what RYM is, and I'm not sure I understand the relevance of the question, exactly.

Besides it doesn't change the fact that 50 days is way too long, and I'm certain I am not the first member to express this.
I'm not sure why you call that a "fact," when it's really just a preference. And I don't doubt that some other people have the same preference. But I'm pretty sure most don't, not that I'm taking a poll here in order to decide things.

It seems obvious to me that there are trade offs either way: a modest pace allows for each film to get a lot of attention and time for discussion. A faster pace loses this, but satisfies people who just want to see the list sooner. I sympathize with that, but I'm not sure knowing sooner ends up being any more satisfying.

Anyway, I think the former (time for discussion) is more valuable, and prioritizes things inherent to forums and why someone might prefer them to other forms of social media. That's why I chose the way I did.

You know I've been on and off on these forums and will leave for months, right? Your tone is very authoritative.
You posted 72 times in the Horror Countdown thread, which began on March 17, 2019 and ended on May 16, 2019. So, again, you should know from your own experience that this is how we do things.

@MovieFan1988 I also don't think it's really relevant to compare a forum wide list to a personal countdown. This countdown has almost 100 participants from all over the world with different time zones and have different schedules. Some MoFos don't have time to sign on every day. Some go several days in between. If we do five a day and a someone who is busy misses even 3 days, that's 15 films they're behind on and a have a lot to catch up on, at which point those who are able to keep up will have moved on with their discussions.

A personal countdown will have a much smaller audience and will generate much less discussion.

A: I personally think you're the only person who gets to make the final decision on things like this, so the kind of "this is jow it is and it will stay that way" attitude is a stubborn form of neglecting the site's ability to improve. If you said it like that at the beginning, I'd have just asked if you were certain that you didn't want to improve it. I know you're more educated and patient than that (not flattery. I actually think you're better at handling forums than morlst people).

B: RYM means Rateyourmusic. It's a very popular music database with incredibly active forums. It has a chart system which calculates all user ratings with a complex algorith and ranks all releases on site depending on their type (regular, single, compilation, yadda yadda)

We have a huge games section with things similar to this.

C: I labelled it as a fact since Mofo is the only place I've ever seen take so long to reveal a full list. But if 5 is a bit much, then since it's a special occasion can we raise it to 3? Three for the first 30 days, and 1 for the last ten days. I still think 40 is a bit much, but it could give you some new insight on how a slight tweak could be for the better.