The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

...Also, I pointed out your misuse of the word jest because it genuinely confused me at first and I had to reread the sentence to get what you actually meant. Pointing out an error does not automatically mean someone is trying to invalidate your statement. Not everything is an attack.
'Attack'?...Who said anything about attack? I'm not sure why you would even think that?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Paper Moon

Not sure why I haven’t watched this before. I guess I don’t always like the idea of kid movies. Even though in reality there are some pretty good ones. I had some reservations when it started in black and white with the director’s name Peter Bogdanovich as I thought it was going to be ‘The Last Picture Show’ all over again, but it had more charm than TLPS and I warmed to it. I liked the double act of the main two characters, I liked the back and forth dialogue, I liked that the girl was basically better at cons and looking after the money than the con-artist. I thought it was witty and charming without being too sentimental. That said, I do think they dragged the ending out a bit long. Tatum O’Neal was great as Addie though.

Good movie, I can tell already I’m going to have trouble ordering my list.

I don’t know who picked this – maybe Cricket?

Paper Moon

Not sure why I haven’t watched this before. I guess I don’t always like the idea of kid movies. Even though in reality there are some pretty good ones. I had some reservations when it started in black and white with the director’s name Peter Bogdanovich as I thought it was going to be ‘The Last Picture Show’ all over again, but it had more charm than TLPS and I warmed to it. I liked the double act of the main two characters, I liked the back and forth dialogue, I liked that the girl was basically better at cons and looking after the money than the con-artist. I thought it was witty and charming without being too sentimental. That said, I do think they dragged the ending out a bit long. Tatum O’Neal was great as Addie though.

Paper Moon was picked for me last time, I loved it and I believe I ranked it as my #1 film. For me it's one of those films I could watch again, though I haven't done so.

Paper Moon

i believe this was my pick for you. glad you liked it!
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Used to watch Paper Moon as a kid when it came on regular TV's Night at the Movies quite often and had rewatched it a year or two ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. And, yeah, @cricket, it would be a good nom for just about anybody.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

This is going to go middle of the pack for me,
like most of the movie choices I've watched so far. It was an OK watch, it made me appreciate Matt Damon more. Previously I'd liked him as an actor but thought he was kinda blasé.

I've said before that I don't care for Robin Williams in movies...though he was a dynamic guest on late night talk shows. As I kinda expected he was able to play a more troubled, straight role with much veracity. Most talented comedians are able to give a damn fine dramatic accounting of themselves when given half a chance to shed the comedy stuff. When Robin went into his free form improv, his character belief faded momentarily for me. Luckily he didn't do that much and overall he was solid.

As much as I don't like Ben Affleck, I think he's limited in his characterizations...I did like Casey Affleck here. Casey was by far the finest actor in the film.

I'm impressed that a young Ben Affleck and Matt Damon won a Best Writing Oscar for the script. That's a big feather in their hats. But truth be told it wasn't a well written script as far as I'm concerned. The scenes were packed with too much repetitive dialogue that was suppose to be deep and or clever. This caused the scenes to loose their punch and end up more as a writing exercise than deeply reflective.

What redeemed the movie were the moments when the truth of the subject matter rang out hard with a harsh truth. Especially the scenes were Minnie Driver is being dumped by Will (Matt Damon) who'd too afraid to live and risk.

Good choice for me thought, I'd have chosen it myself.

The trick is not minding

Good Will Hunting (1997)

like most of the movie choices I've watched so far. It was an OK watch, it made me appreciate Matt Damon more. Previously I'd liked him as an actor but thought he was kinda blasé.

I've said before that I don't care for Robin Williams in movies...though he was a dynamic guest on late night talk shows. As I kinda expected he was able to play a more troubled, straight role with much veracity. Most talented comedians are able to give a damn fine dramatic accounting of themselves when given half a chance to shed the comedy stuff. When Robin went into his free form improv, his character belief faded momentarily for me. Luckily he didn't do that much and overall he was solid.

As much as I don't like Ben Affleck, I think he's limited in his characterizations...I did like Casey Affleck here. Casey was by far the finest actor in the film.

I'm impressed that a young Ben Affleck and Matt Damon won a Best Writing Oscar for the script. That's a big feather in their hats. But truth be told it wasn't a well written script as far as I'm concerned. The scenes were packed with too much repetitive dialogue that was suppose to be deep and or clever. This caused the scenes to loose their punch and end up more as a writing exercise than deeply reflective.

What redeemed the movie were the moments when the truth of the subject matter rang out hard with a harsh truth. Especially the scenes were Minnie Driver is being dumped by Will (Matt Damon) who'd too afraid to live and risk.

I love this film, and chose it for you. I can accept a middle of the pack placement, as long as I avoid many low end placements and have more top four placements to improve my spot from the first HOF.
Shame you didn’t enjoy it more, but I still feel it was a good pick for you this time

I love this film, and chose it for you. I can accept a middle of the pack placement, as long as I avoid many low end placements and have more top four placements to improve my spot from the first HOF.
Shame you didn’t enjoy it more, but I still feel it was a good pick for you this time
It was a wise choice for me, and like I said it's a 3/5 with moments of greatness. So glad to have watched it and thanks! (there's for sure some movies I didn't like here and one I really liked).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

I thought you would have liked Good Will Hunting more than this. It's my second favorite Robin Williams movie, (behind Dead Poets Society).

I thought about picking Good Will Hunting for you CR, and I think it's awesome. Great use of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street and Kelly's Roast Beef is all that.

As much as I don't like Ben Affleck

I feel the same way.. I cant stand him.. its actually his voice that drives me to dislike him...

Thats why the only two movies I like him in is "To The Wonder" and "The Accountant".. he barely talks.

I used to hate Ben Affleck, but with State of Play and Gone Girl he's grown on me and now I don't mind him. I still don't like Matt Damon or Casey Affleck though.

I thought about picking Good Will Hunting for you CR, and I think it's awesome. Great use of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street and Kelly's Roast Beef is all that.
I thought about you while watching Good Will Hunting, (that sounds creepy! ha) But really, the reason why is the movie was set in Boston and aren't you in Boston? So I could see that being one reason why you would have considered this as a choice for me.

I thought about you while watching Good Will Hunting, (that sounds creepy! ha) But really, the reason why is the movie was set in Boston and aren't you in Boston? So I could see that being one reason why you would have considered this as a choice for me.
And I always seem to have an extra affinity for Boston set movies like Good Will Hunting, The Town, The Departed, Patriot's Day, etc., etc.

Beverly Hills Cop(1984) is a fairly dated film it's very strange to watch something that feels like a TV pilot today and realize this was a major motion picture. So many times I was watching this film I kept thinking was this meant to be a movie because it feels like three episodes of Brooklyn 99 strung together. This is Eddie Murphys' weakest acting performance of his career it's really shocking to see this was made after 48 hours and Trading Places because it seemed like he took a step back.

With that said...I did enjoy the film I found the humor worked really well even though not really PC and pretty dated. Brest does a great job bringing in straight men of different variety (Jonathan Banks, Ronny Cox, and John Ashton) and they do a good job selling Murphy's act. Eddie's bits are pretty great even if they don't really make a whole lot of sense when you give the film a degree of scrutiny but in the end I would tepidly recommend this film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I feel the same way.. I cant stand him.. its actually his voice that drives me to dislike him...

Thats why the only two movies I like him in is "To The Wonder" and "The Accountant".. he barely talks.
I was surprised to see how much I did enjoy him in The Accountant. Very good film.