The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I like seeing Hilly eat it.
I don't remember who Hilly was, must have been one of the white women I'm guessing. I wonder if one would know if they'd been served poo pie? Me? I'm safe I don't eat pie. Do you like pie?

Depends on the pie.
I can see this going off the rails pretty quick, but that's just me. I'll take pie over cake every day as a dessert. Pecan, strawberry-rhubarb and cherry pies are the BEST!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
3:10 to Yuma

Westerns have never been my favourite genre, but I have been watching more recently, mostly for the mofo Western Top 100. 3:10 to Yuma was on my list of Westerns to watch but I didn’t get round to it in time for the countdown. I think if I had, it might well have figured on my ballot.

This is a decent movie; what I liked most about it were the slight shifts and ambiguities in character – right up until the end you couldn’t tell whether bravery or cowardice, decency or self-interest would win out in these men. It was quite tense at times as well, especially toward the end when they are holed up in the hotel. Russell Crowe was good as Ben Wade. I liked the ending.

At times towards the start I thought it was a little too clean and modern looking, but by the end everyone is looking sufficiently sweaty and beaten up. There is also still a limit to my tolerance for shoot outs, so I wouldn’t have complained had it been fifteen minutes shorter.

I would guess that Miss Vicky picked this for me, as I know she likes it.

Yeah, this was one of the more obviously "me" picks. It's a former top ten (and may well end up on my All-Time ballot). Of course I wasn't expecting that level of love from anyone else, but I didn't know what to pick for you and I'm glad you seem to like it.

I hated the ending to the original and it ruined the whole movie for me.
I liked the newer version of 3:10 to Yuma, but only to a point. What hurts the films believability is the fakey scene where Russell Crowe is strung up & hanging from a platform and can't get free as his feet don't touch the ground...But then amazingly when the scene calls for it, a deus ex machina moment happens and he's as free as a jaybird so he can join the fight...That's where the film lost credibility.

I liked the newer version of 3:10 to Yuma, but only to a point. What hurts the films believability is the fakey scene where Russell Crowe is strung up & hanging from a platform and can't get free as his feet don't touch the ground...But then amazingly when the scene calls for it, a deus ex machina moment happens and he's as free as a jaybird so he can join the fight...That's where the film lost credibility.
I'm not sure where you're getting that his feet don't touch the ground? His feet aren't shown at all and he's at eye level with the guy torturing him so there's nothing that I see to imply he's hanging. Sure, his cuffs are hooked to something over his head and he somehow manages to get them unhooked, but I see nothing to indicate that he can't stand up.

It's been awhile since I seen it, but the jest of the scene defied logic. It was poorly done and if Crowe could so easily have gotten away from being tied up like that, why didn't he? Anyway it's a decent movie, though I still prefer the original.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
3:10 to Yuma

Westerns have never been my favourite genre, but I have been watching more recently, mostly for the mofo Western Top 100. 3:10 to Yuma was on my list of Westerns to watch but I didn’t get round to it in time for the countdown. I think if I had, it might well have figured on my ballot.

This is a decent movie; what I liked most about it were the slight shifts and ambiguities in character – right up until the end you couldn’t tell whether bravery or cowardice, decency or self-interest would win out in these men. It was quite tense at times as well, especially toward the end when they are holed up in the hotel. Russell Crowe was good as Ben Wade. I liked the ending.

At times towards the start I thought it was a little too clean and modern looking, but by the end everyone is looking sufficiently sweaty and beaten up. There is also still a limit to my tolerance for shoot outs, so I wouldn’t have complained had it been fifteen minutes shorter.

Yeah, this was one of the more obviously "me" picks. It's a former top ten (and may well end up on my All-Time ballot). Of course I wasn't expecting that level of love from anyone else, but I didn't know what to pick for you and I'm glad you seem to like it.
A good pick for Thursday, not only for the sake of variety, but because it's a pretty good flick.
I prefer the original 3:10 to Yuma (1957).
It took me till the most recent Top 100 Westerns to finally see the original, which I thoroughly enjoyed and cannot put one above the other except that the remake has a little more detail into Evans's family life and brings a little more flash. Including a scene-stealing Ben Foster as Wade's #2 man, Charlie Prince.
While the original has a more grounded rendition. I did notice in watching the original I saw a lot of nuances in Glenn Ford's performance that caused me to picture Russell Crowe studying it as well as adapting it to his own portrayal of Wade.

So, love them both and would watch them on their separate and equally enjoyable merits.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It's been awhile since I seen it, but the jest of the scene defied logic. It was poorly done and if Crowe could so easily have gotten away from being tied up like that, why didn't he? Anyway it's a decent movie, though I still prefer the original.
Could be that there were a few guys with guns watching him before the rescue occurred and Wade is, after all, a patient, calculating individual. Knowing better to wait for the right moment and act then.

Well, we didn't see what exactly happened before the others got there and rescued him, but dude was being electrocuted. I imagine it's a little hard to fight back when that's happening, especially if you're in cuffs. So he waited until his torturer was distracted and, you know, not electrocuting him anymore.

Also, the word you're looking for is gist. Jest means to joke.

Well, we didn't see what exactly happened before the others got there and rescued him, but dude was being electrocuted. I imagine it's a little hard to fight back when that's happening, especially if you're in cuffs. So he waited until his torturer was distracted and, you know, not electrocuting him anymore.

Also, the word you're looking for is gist. Jest means to joke.
Ah, thank you kindly for pointing out my spelling error, I guess that invalidates my opinion now

You're stating that like it's a fact, when it's pure conjecture. That's something Zotis use to do too, he couldn't accept that people had different opinions of his favorite movies...dude would argue until the cows came home, silly really to waste time like that. Anyway I'm not wasting any more time on this. I found the scene silly and I (believe) I mentioned that somewhere on the board before. Gotta get back to real life and work.

You're stating that like it's a fact, when it's pure conjecture.
Except I am not stating it as fact. In the sentence immediately before the one you bolded, I said I imagine it’s a little hard to fight back while being electrocuted. I didn’t think I needed to use a qualifier in every single sentence of my post, especially when one sentence is a continuation on the subject of the other. In any case, if you watch the scene, you can clearly see that he doesn’t fight back until Doc Potter takes that first swing with the shovel. Sure I’m making assumptions about why he waited, but it’s a much safer conclusion to make than saying his feet don’t reach the ground and again I never stated it as fact. You are free and welcome to not like the scene, but when you post that opinion in public on a movie forum, you open yourself up to argument.

Also, I pointed out your misuse of the word jest because it genuinely confused me at first and I had to reread the sentence to get what you actually meant. Pointing out an error does not automatically mean someone is trying to invalidate your statement. Not everything is an attack.