The Outsider (HBO series)

Tools    

Welp, every concern I had down the stretch and heading into this finale ended up being applicable. There wasn't really anything else waiting in the wings, just a standard confrontation. The whole thing was incredibly front-loaded.

Good show overall, but man, so much potential, just sort of peters out.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Welp, every concern I had down the stretch and heading into this finale ended up being applicable. There wasn't really anything else waiting in the wings, just a standard confrontation. The whole thing was incredibly front-loaded.

Good show overall, but man, so much potential, just sort of peters out.
Did you watch through the credits? I agree with everything you typed above, but I still enjoyed it well enough. Funny though as I would expect to be disappointed given my usual reactions to HBO runs that start strong and kind of thin out halfway through (GoT, Carnivale, John from Cincinnati, etc.). I really think having Bateman to pull me in and Mendolsohn anchor the series were both very smart choices, else I do not think I would have been nearly as invested. Likely as a result, I would be more critical of it now (and it deserves some criticism). Back to my first sentence, I felt that was very unnecessary.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yeah, I saw the scene at the end. Not sure it added much. The jump scare was silly.

It's still a good show. I enjoyed it well enough, too. It's just nuts how strong it started and how little it did from there. Tons of unrealized potential there. Also, while I can appreciate these incredibly well-made, well-acted prestige dramas, there's getting to be enough of them (though HBO is top tier even in that regard) that I'm starting to want the story to match it, or at least come closer than this did.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't want "find the others, the source of evil, this is where it began" story-lines. They all but announced s2 with the opening "s1 finale of the Outsider. Who knows if Watchmen gets s2, but if not, that is a perfect example of wrapping it up.

What a lack of imagination for the "final confrontation". El Coco is just an animal that likes to eat sweet kids

I know that extreme situations call for extreme measures, but a couple of cops, an ex-con, two moms and a voodoo priestess are all gonna fabricate an alibi/story.... Give. Me. A. F'n! Break. So lazy.

Let's get back to Jack. You finally decide to bite the bullet? Meow? Not earlier? That's convenient.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ugh. Based on the strong opening episodes, I chose to watch the show rather than read the book.

I made the wrong choice. I have no doubt the book would have been better.

I enjoyed it. But yes it was a weak ending, a bit muddled and unoriginal.

Holly is the new beast yes? She asks 'Who's Terry?' - I mean what's that about? Of course she knows who Terry is.

Plus, she has a scratch on her arm - why would they show us this? If that's a red herring it's a poor one. Then again, Ralph also had a scratch on his face but it wasn't made a big deal of.

Re: "Who's Terry?" A writer on the show clarified that she meant that it was important the creature's existence not get out. Like when someone says "this never happened" and the other says "what never happened?"

Re: "Who's Terry?" A writer on the show clarified that she meant that it was important the creature's existence not get out. Like when someone says "this never happened" and the other says "what never happened?"
Makes sense - Ralph's reaction didn't really let us know that though. It could have been done better.

Agreed, I was pretty confused in the moment. The eventual explanation was my best guess, but I was pretty far from sure.

It's particularly goofy given the whole stolen identity thing.

Deserved a better finale, it was True Detective S1 level good at times.

Episodes 1 to 8
-
Episode 9
+
Episode 10

Who's Terry, she said; and she smiled in her special way! Terry, she said; ya know i love ya....

That's how it should have ended. I mean if there's going to be a mid-credit take.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Deserved a better finale, it was True Detective S1 level good at times.

Episodes 1 to 8
-
Epispode 9
+
Episode 10
You're being generous with those last two scores.

Who's Terry, she said; and she smiled in her special way! Terry, she said; ya know i love ya....
That's a really awful earworm. Thanks for nothing.

I finished watching it. Like others I enjoyed the episodes at the beginning. The end was needlessly stretched and without any mystery.

WARNING: spoilers below

I would have liked it if the creature had survived. There was an option.

They could have showed that the creature had fully transformed. So, when the cave collapses, they could have showed that the real Claude died and creature survived, but Ralph doesn't suspect it, until he goes home.

Few months later he sees a headline in the paper of another child killing.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Show got canned, even though it had some of the best viewership numbers for a new HBO show in the past 3 years.

Word on the street is S2 and “the show bible” are being shopped around.

https://screenrant.com/outsider-hbo-...ity-explained/

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I personally thought it started great but the middle and ending were somewhere inbetween OK and poor.

I am not remotely sad at the thought of this ending. I guess it might be interesting to see HOW they extend it, but yeah, I'm not sure it ended well and it doesn't seem like a good candidate to keep going.