The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I don't remember Black Orpheus well as I only watched it once for the 50's countdown. My records tell me I saw it as a good, lively film that wasn't really my type. It appears that it was a very good recommendation.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Strangers on a Train

Senator Morton: Be guided by my experience. Never lose any sleep over accusations. Unless they can be proved, of course.

Considering how much I enjoy Alfred Hitchcock it is kinda funny the number of his films I have NOT seen when it comes to his top films, such as this little gem. Though "Raymond Chandler is credited as the main author of the script, it was almost completely written by Czenzi Ormonde, who was credited as the second author". Still, the wit of the dialogue adds to both the well-orchestrated pace along with the entertainment value of this "attempt at a perfect murder".
Speaking of perfect murders, the man who finds himself caught up in this, Guy Haines, is played by Farley Granger who was another unwilling participant in Hitchcock's Rope. While the man proposing the exchanging of possible murder victims is played by Robert Walker, who, sadly, died the summer this film was released. It is said his role as the charming psychotic had sealed his place in future leading roles. Watching him I fully agree.

Hitchcock does some excellent camera shots, as is his norm, in this film. Playing with the tension and suspense with, at this point, true Hitchcockian style. Such as the dark bedroom scene as Guy confronts Bruno, tossing the german luger (pistol) down. Hitchcock's camera placement is ideal as Bruno picks it up and follows Guy out to the stairs, the pistol trained on Guy as he slowly walks down the stairs. Almost daring Bruno to shoot him.
I also loved Bruno's stalking of Guy's wife, Miriam, at the carnival.

This was a great watch and definitely one I really should have checked out a long time ago. So thanks to whoever nominated it for me.

I've always felt that Strangers on a Train is one of Hitchcock's best, and most underseen and underrated movies.

Across the Universe

This movie is on the female directors list.

Wiki describes it as a jukebox musical romantic drama film. That's not a genre description I recall ever hearing so I was intrigued, but truth be told it's not a movie I would have ever picked on my own. I read the synopsis to my wife a couple weeks back to see if it was one she'd watch with me. After about every 3 words she would emphatically say no, and by the time I finished 2 sentences she said it sounded like something that would make her want to slit her wrists. She said that whoever picked it for me probably didn't like me very much. I figured it was the odds on favorite to finish last on my ballot.

Minutes 0-5: This is weird

Minutes 5-10: This might be ok

Minutes 10-15: There might be some great things in this

Minutes 15-20: I'm hooked

It's a fairly loose narrative. A young man from Liverpool heads to America, he finds a friend, and meets a girl. It's set during the crazy time of the Vietnam War, the protests, and everything that goes with it. There's a lot of things that happen in the movie that another movie would explore. For example, a character re-enters the movie with a bruised face after being beaten by her boyfriend, but it's never brought up again. This movie is not about exactly what happens in our lives, but more about what we go through in life and how we feel. And I mean it when I say we. I don't think it's as much about the characters as it is about everybody.

The hook of the movie is that the characters sing Beatles songs. As first my thought was, I'd rather hear The Beatles sing the songs themselves. It works out brilliantly though, and it's hard to explain why. Personally, many of my favorite songs are favorites because I associate them with experiences I've had and people I love. I thought of my own life while watching the characters relate the music to their experiences. We feel the joy and hardships that they go through and that we've been through. All of the characters are named after Beatles songs and there's a lot of, not sure what it's called, but sort of like inside jokes. Except they're not jokes and I can't even explain it right now.

The cast is very likable and I had no issues with anybody. There's a certain fantastical element, but it's more about how we think than what actually happens. It's a very creative and original film. It made me happy and it made me cry. I don't know if it's a great movie but if not it's a special one. Who the hell picked this for me and why? I feel like nobody could have predicted my reaction. I have watched many incredible movies that were recommended to me by other members over the years. This time I felt like I was given a gift so thank you.

[center]Across the Universe

The hook of the movie is that the characters sing Beatles songs. As first my thought was, I'd rather hear The Beatles sing the songs themselves. It works out brilliantly though, and it's hard to explain why. Personally, many of my favorite songs are favorites because I associate them with experiences I've had and people I love. I thought of my own life while watching the characters relate the music to their experiences. We feel the joy and hardships that they go through and that we've been through. All of the characters are named after Beatles songs and there's a lot of, not sure what it's called, but sort of like inside jokes. Except they're not jokes and I can't even explain it right now.
Glad you liked it. While I was maybe more mixed on the reimaginings of the songs, some of them are pretty great (like turning "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" into a fraught lesbian plea, or "I Want You" into a dark army recruitment sequence).

Have you seen Taymor's Titus or Frida? Both also really show off her amazing visual sensibilities. Titus is kind of a nasty piece of work (because, well, the play is a pretty nasty piece of work). Frida has a pretty great lead performance from Salma Hayek.

Across the Universe

This movie is on the female directors list.

Wiki describes it as a jukebox musical romantic drama film. That's not a genre description I recall ever hearing so I was intrigued, but truth be told it's not a movie I would have ever picked on my own. I read the synopsis to my wife a couple weeks back to see if it was one she'd watch with me. After about every 3 words she would emphatically say no, and by the time I finished 2 sentences she said it sounded like something that would make her want to slit her wrists. She said that whoever picked it for me probably didn't like me very much. I figured it was the odds on favorite to finish last on my ballot.

Minutes 0-5: This is weird

Minutes 5-10: This might be ok

Minutes 10-15: There might be some great things in this

Minutes 15-20: I'm hooked

Gosh, that seems like something I'd love. It sounds like very unique and fresh film making. See someone knew what they were doing when they picked that for you

That was my pick for Cricket...everyone else got something specific but Cricket's list was a little to tricky

That was my second biggest risk
Nice choice! I have to say Siddon I'm impressed with your diverse taste in films. I'm not sure what you picked for me, but I'd bet it would figure high on my voting list.

Frankly it's better than the trash y'all picked for me
You haven’t even started this HOF so are in no position to call anything “trash.” You also have four movies left for the 23rd and less than a week to get them done.

Nice choice! I have to say Siddon I'm impressed with your diverse taste in films. I'm not sure what you picked for me, but I'd bet it would figure high on my voting list.

Yeah it'll do better than Blimp did..I don't think I've gotten a bad review from any of my picks yet

Yeah it'll do better than Blimp did..I don't think I've gotten a bad review from any of my picks yet
I don't know what you picked for me of course, but I'm guessing it's something I haven't watched...and all the films I have left have a good chance of me liking them, especially one of them.

You haven’t even started this HOF so are in no position to call anything “trash.” You also have four movies left for the 23rd and less than a week to get them done.

I've finished every Hall of Fame I've ever done Miss Vicky don't worry you're persnickety little head.

Who knows maybe I'll finish both Halls this week

Have you seen Taymor's Titus or Frida? Both also really show off her amazing visual sensibilities. Titus is kind of a nasty piece of work (because, well, the play is a pretty nasty piece of work). Frida has a pretty great lead performance from Salma Hayek.
Seen both, but long enough ago that I don't remember them well and even if I could, it would probably have very little to do with how I liked them now.

Across the Universe sounds like something I’d absolutely despise.
I thought about what your reaction would be while I was watching it. You're probably right, although it's the type of movie that I would normally hate as well. It helps that I'm a sucker for movies set during that time period. I tried to imagine a connection to Hedwig but that has a whole different attitude about it.

The trick is not minding
[quote=Siddon;2141324
Frankly it's better than the trash y'all picked for me[/QUOTE]

This quote bothers me quite a bit. I put a lot of thought into my pick for you, and if you’re disappointed in it, that’s one thing, but needing to refer to everything as trash is, frankly, uncalled for.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've always felt that Strangers on a Train is one of Hitchcock's best, and most underseen and underrated movies.
Having watched it I would agree.

I remember watching something a few decades back about Hitchcock regarding his camera style and technical prowess as a Director and the image I used was one of the ones that I remember from it and always stuck with me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've had Across the Universe on my watchlist ever since hearing a few folks raving about it a couple of years back and the fact that you got hooked in the first 20 min, @cricket REALLY raises it's position to a "Truly Need To See". Loved the review and the gifs used.
As well as the youtube link, @Siddon -- THANKS
Also, had no idea it was the same person who did Titus -- which I love and Frida -- which I'm dying to see, so thank you @Takoma11 for sharing that.

I've got the DVDs for The Help and Good Night and Good Luck. Just waiting for the chance when my wife and I can watch them together. I could watch something else in the meantime.

I've got the DVDs for The Help and Good Night and Good Luck. Just waiting for the chance when my wife and I can watch them together. I could watch something else in the meantime.
I liked The Help sort of, it looked good. Though the poo-pie was all kinds of wrong...though you might get a laugh out of it.

I really liked Good Night and Good Luck but oddly enough I can't remember why I liked it? I can't even remember what it's about. I think it's a biopic about a famous 1950s journalist? I guess that means I should see it again.