Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't actually done this either, so. . .

Family Man (2000) - First time I saw this I was very happily surprised how much I ended up enjoying this. So be around my third or fourth rewatch and it has been a few years or more so happy to see it again
Rise of the Guardians (2012) - First-time watch for this so pretty effin happy about that.
The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) - been a decade-plus since I've watched this so it'll be great to rectify that
A Christmas Carol (1951) - My nom and my utter favorite when it comes to Scrooge renditions
A Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - definitely a tradition at the house for Christmas films to watch
Just Friends (2005) - Don't think I actually saw this and since I like both Reynolds and Smart I will be looking forward to this
A Year Without A Santa Claus (1974) - Like Moviegal I'm a big Rankin/Bass fan and grew up watching them and still continue to and this is a seriously fun one
Home Alone (1990) - I was on the fence with this one back when it first came out so I'm pretty curious how I feel now since I haven't since then.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
We got another new member and so another Holiday movie

Just Friends (2005)
MovieGal

I haven't seen Just Friends, but I read the synopsis and it sounds like my kind of movie. I'm looking forward to watching it.

So I guess I haven't done the comment thing yet. So here it goes

The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)...I believe my wife has this on VHS, so I'll have to fire up the ole VCR and watch it on tape!

Home Alone (1990)...Seen this many times, it's a darn good one. We have this also on VHS.

I thought I was the only person left who still has a VCR.

I thought I was the only person left who still has a VCR.
I had a VCR for decades, then it conked out. But I never used it so I didn't care. Then a few years back I wanted to watch the mini series A Town Like Alice (1981) which I could only find used on VHS on ebay. So then I had to go buy a replacement VCR, only to find my local stores didn't sell them anymore. So I ended up buying a used VCR on ebay. Only the seller didn't know how to package correctly and just placed the VCR in a flat rate priority box with no padding. It arrived broke of course. So I bought yet another VCR from ebay and it worked, and I still have it. Though I've been pondering getting rid of it and all the VHS tapes my wife has She has a lot of Christmas specials and movies on VHS, so I guess I'll have to think about keeping the VCR or not.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Family Man- never seen. But heard about it although don't know much about it.

A Christmas Carol- I'm always up for different versions of these carols. The old ones are really the only ones I haven't seen, so this will be cool.

Muppet Christmas Carol- it's a good classic to watch every year. Some nice humor.

Home Alone- my nom. Not sure how great it technically is, but definitely nostalgic so I went with it.

Just Friends- never heard of it.

The Year Without a Santa Claus- I prefer many of the other claymation Christmas movies, my wife loves this however so it was going to be watched either way.

Rise of the Guardians- saw once. Remember liking it decently

Nightmare before Christmas- like it, hope to elevate it to love it someday

Im also glad we left the door open to doing this next year with great things still not picked!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I had a VCR for decades, then it conked out. But I never used it so I didn't care. Then a few years back I wanted to watch the mini series A Town Like Alice (1981) which I could only find used on VHS on ebay. So then I had to go buy a replacement VCR, only to find my local stores didn't sell them anymore. So I ended up buying a used VCR on ebay. Only the seller didn't know how to package correctly and just placed the VCR in a flat rate priority box with no padding. It arrived broke of course. So I bought yet another VCR from ebay and it worked, and I still have it. Though I've been pondering getting rid of it and all the VHS tapes my wife has She has a lot of Christmas specials and movies on VHS, so I guess I'll have to think about keeping the VCR or not.
we doubled up and have a dvd/vhs player and, like you, we have a number of Christmas films on VHS so it works rather nicely

A Nightmare Before Christmas
(1993)
Directed by Henry Selick
Nominated by @Thursday Next

Story of Jack the Pumpkin King and his boredom of Halloween. The same ol' thing every year. But this year, he's taking on Christmas and it's all ruined. Thanks to Sally, Sandy Claws is put back on the job to save it!

I saw this when it was first released and it was a common thing to watch in our home as my daughter loved it. Its based on a poem book and if you notice, everything in the movie rhymes at some point - the words of the characters to the music.

its a fun little watch, up to when Jack decides to be Santa.

One of the best things, Danny Elfman wrote the songs and his voice was used for singing Jack.

A Year Without A Santa
(1974)
Directed by Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr.
Nominated by @gbgoodies

Santa feels unwanted and unloved, as well in poor health. He wants to take a vacation from Christmas. With the help of Mirs. Claus, 2 elves and a young boy, everyone gives Santa the vacation he needs. Until Santa receives a letter from a little girl and he feels that he is truly needed. Christmas is back on!

I have always loved Rankin and Bass holiday shows. From Mad Monster Party to Frosty the Snowman to Easter Bunny is Coming to Town. These shows were part of my childhood, the things we watched each year.

When my VCR broke a few years ago, I bought a combo VHS/DVD player/recorder, and I've been converting some of my old VHS tapes onto DVD-Rs. I'm hoping that I''ll eventually be able to get rid of all of my old VHS tapes, and the VCR.

we doubled up and have a dvd/vhs player and, like you, we have a number of Christmas films on VHS so it works rather nicely

I've been gradually buying DVDs of all the movies that I have on VHS, including most of the Rankin/Bass Christmas specials. There are still a few movies that I haven't found on DVD yet, but eventually I should be able to replace all my VHS tapes with DVDs.

The trick is not minding
Just Friends

Ryan Reynolds is an actor who I seem to enjoy lately. He’s funny, has decent timing, and has a hot wife. That last part isn’t important but seriously. Blake Lively? Ka-kow!
*ahem*
Where was I? Oh yes, Reynolds....he’s a funny actor. Makes some decent films. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of them (I’m sorry MG!)
It’s not his fault. For starters, it’s a fairly by the book approach to a guy who tries to win his old crush from High School and somehow forgets how to charm women. He also forgets how to even talk to her. Or hug her.
It just doesn’t work. He’s had funnier lines on his Twitter account. Or Instagram. Whichever. Or both? He was definitely funnier in Deadpool. Maybe he should write his own material.
And Anna Faris is annoying as such an idiotic singer , but it isn’t her fault as her character was written way over the top. She has no choice but to be ridiculous in this. And it never really works for me.
There are a few scenes that are funny, but mostly they’re outweighed by the more cringe inducing scenes.
Now back to fantasizing about Blake Lively.....

A Nightmare Before Christmas
(1993)
Directed by Henry Selick
Nominated by @Thursday Next

Story of Jack the Pumpkin King and his boredom of Halloween. The same ol' thing every year. But this year, he's taking on Christmas and it's all ruined. Thanks to Sally, Sandy Claws is put back on the job to save it!

I saw this when it was first released and it was a common thing to watch in our home as my daughter loved it. Its based on a poem book and if you notice, everything in the movie rhymes at some point - the words of the characters to the music.

its a fun little watch, up to when Jack decides to be Santa.

One of the best things, Danny Elfman wrote the songs and his voice was used for singing Jack.

PBS aired a special concert a few years ago called "Danny Elfman's Music from Films of Tim Burton". It was filmed Live at Lincoln Center, and Danny Elfman performed the Nightmare Before Christmas songs live on stage.

Here's a clip of it from YouTube (Danny Elfman comes onstage at around the 11:40 mark):

A Year Without A Santa
(1974)
Directed by Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr.
Nominated by @gbgoodies

Santa feels unwanted and unloved, as well in poor health. He wants to take a vacation from Christmas. With the help of Mirs. Claus, 2 elves and a young boy, everyone gives Santa the vacation he needs. Until Santa receives a letter from a little girl and he feels that he is truly needed. Christmas is back on!

I have always loved Rankin and Bass holiday shows. From Mad Monster Party to Frosty the Snowman to Easter Bunny is Coming to Town. These shows were part of my childhood, the things we watched each year.

I think the Rankin and Bass holiday shows were part of most of our childhoods. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in still loving them as an adult.

Just Friends

Ryan Reynolds is an actor who I seem to enjoy lately. He’s funny, has decent timing, and has a hot wife. That last part isn’t important but seriously. Blake Lively? Ka-kow!
*ahem*
Where was I? Oh yes, Reynolds....he’s a funny actor. Makes some decent films. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of them (I’m sorry MG!)
It’s not his fault. For starters, it’s a fairly by the book approach to a guy who tries to win his old crush from High School and somehow forgets how to charm women. He also forgets how to even talk to her. Or hug her.
It just doesn’t work. He’s had funnier lines on his Twitter account. Or Instagram. Whichever. Or both? He was definitely funnier in Deadpool. Maybe he should write his own material.
And Anna Faris is annoying as such an idiotic singer , but it isn’t her fault as her character was written way over the top. She has no choice but to be ridiculous in this. And it never really works for me.
There are a few scenes that are funny, but mostly they’re outweighed by the more cringe inducing scenes.
Now back to fantasizing about Blake Lively.....

I haven't seen Just Friends yet, but I've been a fan of Ryan Reynolds since I saw him in the TV show "Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place", so I'm still looking forward to this movie, regardless of this review.