Who Will be Our Next President?

Tools    

A great, great day for anyone who believes in humanity.
I think you’ll find (if you look) plenty of decent people who voted for Trump. It wouldn’t hurt to chill with the hyperbole at this point.

Yeah, I know a lot of good people who voted for him. It's fine to think they're wrong, most of them voted for him because they're more afraid of the alternative. But let's not go nuts. It won't really do to pretend everyone who voted for him is just awful: it's too many people.

There's an old saying: when you owe the bank $10,000, it's your problem. When you owe the bank $10 million, it's their problem. This is kinda like that. If a million people voted for some wacky, offensive reality show star, you can write it off as ridiculous. But when 70 million people do it, a look in the mirror is probably necessary, because that's a culture-wide thing that lots of people have a different kind of hand in.

Anyway, this is not supposed to be a general political meme dumping ground.

Let's get back to the election, please. Not that there's much more to say at this point. But I'd like to at least see the fraud stuff through, since it's very on topic and very important.

Anyway, this is not supposed to be a general political meme dumping ground.

Let's get back to the election, please. Not that there's much more to say at this point. But I'd like to at least see the fraud stuff through, since it's very on topic and very important.
Part trying to be humorous and part trying to show the hypocrisy. I'll cut it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I once heard something that stuck with me...'the most important thing a President does is set the moral tone for the country'...

The last four years have been ugly with more hate and intolerance than I've ever seen. It was like being trapped in grade school with a loudmouth, arrogant bully, who will say anything, do anything as long as he gets his way and he doesn't care who gets hurt.
4.10 onward

Trump should barricade himself in the White House, surrounded by loyal Secret Service agents and go down fighting, like Tony Montana in Scarface.

Part trying to be humorous and part trying to show the hypocrisy. I'll cut it.
Thanks. I mean, a lot of the arguments are fair, though this is also really standard stuff for politicians. I just know from experience that these threads either stay on a narrow topic of become catch-alls for everything political, which is kinda already happening.

Anyway this will be my last attempt at keeping the thread on topic. It'll probably just have to close soon, if election news trickles out. The fraud stuff is the only ongoing thing still, really.

If you're too scared/lazy to vote in person you shouldn't be allowed to vote at all.
That's some straight up BS.

I'm registered permanent absentee in my state and have been for years. I quit voting in person when they moved my polling place too far away for me to reasonably access on election day (I don't drive and my polling place used to be just a short walk from my house), especially if I have to work that day. Furthermore, while the law requires my employer to give me time off to vote, it does not require them to pay me for that time so I lose out on money by leaving early to vote and not everyone can afford that. There certainly have been times when I couldn't afford it.

I also very much prefer the opportunity to take as much time as I need to read and reread the state propositions, research them, and make as informed a decision about them as I can without having to either memorize my decisions on all of them or write them down and hope I remember to bring my list with me. Let's not forget that there are more things on the ballot than just the presidential nominees.

I'm registered permanent absentee in my state and have been for years. I quit voting in person when they moved my polling place too far away for me to reasonably access on election day (I don't drive and my polling place used to be just a short walk from my house), especially if I have to work that day. Furthermore, while the law requires my employer to give me time off to vote, it does not require them to pay me for that time so I lose out on money by leaving early to vote and not everyone can afford that. There certainly have been times when I couldn't afford it.

I also very much prefer the opportunity to take as much time as I need to read and reread the state propositions, research them, and make as informed a decision about them as I can without having to either memorize my decisions on all of them or write them down and hope I remember to bring my list with me. Let's not forget that there are more things on the ballot than just the presidential nominees.
I'm torn on this. I see your point but I think that the most important thing by a large margin is that we get a genuine count. I'm not saying the outcome was affected or nothing went in Trump's favor but there's no way we got that here.

All the important things in life require sacrifices.

The trick is not minding
I'm torn on this. I see your point but I think that the most important thing by a large margin is that we get a genuine count. I'm not saying the outcome was affected or nothing went in Trump's favor but there's no way we got that here.
What makes you think there hasn’t been a genuine count? The last sentence seems a bit contradictory to the second sentence.
Regardless, there will be recounts. Which is Trumps right, but regardless, it’s a bit of unsubstantiated claim to make.

The trick is not minding
All the important things in life require sacrifices.
This is a very glib take.
Criticizing Wether or not a person Votes in person is not only irrelevant to the discussion, (while in the middle of a pandemic mind you) but it’s also a knee jerk response tinged in bitterness at the outcome.
Had it swung in Trumps favor, I doubt you would have complained.

Re: genuine count. Look, if you wanna be technical, sure, there's always an issue. There's hundred of millions of votes for crying out loud. You'll always find some pile next to some other pile it shouldn't be, or a typo, or some goofy irregularity/complain/whatever. Of course, 95% of the "reports" turn out to be bunk or based out of sheer ignorance, even though they get repeated over and over (for examples see, uh, this thread). But even if you wanna believe there's some problems here and there (reasonable, just from a logistical POV), the amount of fraud necessary to swing the election in this case is implausibly massive.

There have been very few times in Presidential election history where flipping the outcome was even genuinely possible, and this isn't one of them, given that Biden's eyeing 306 EVs and is tens or hundreds of thousands ahead in some of the tipping point states.

Trump should barricade himself in the White House, surrounded by loyal Secret Service agents and go down fighting, like Tony Montana in Scarface.
That would be fascism...And it's just how Hitler was able to take power so easily, because for the most part the power was given to him by fanatically followers.

What makes you think there hasn’t been a genuine count? The last sentence seems a bit contradictory to the second sentence.
Regardless, there will be recounts. Which is Trumps right, but regardless, it’s a bit of unsubstantiated claim to make.
I think it's way too messy to be accurate. I think there is a great potential for fraud and or mistakes favoring either side.

Re: genuine count. Look, if you wanna be technical, sure, there's always an issue. There's hundred of millions of votes for crying out loud. You'll always find some pile next to some other pile it shouldn't be, or a typo, or some goofy irregularity/complain/whatever. Of course, 95% of the "reports" turn out to be bunk or based out of sheer ignorance, even though they get repeated over and over (for examples see, uh, this thread). But even if you wanna believe there's some problems here and there (reasonable, just from a logistical POV), the amount of fraud necessary to swing the election in this case is implausibly massive.

There have been very few times in Presidential election history where flipping the outcome was even genuinely possible, and this isn't one of them, given that Biden's eyeing 306 EVs and is tens or hundreds of thousands ahead in some of the tipping point states.
Totally agree, and I think this election more than any other election there are bound to be errors. That doesn't mean I think it changes the outcome or anything like that.

The trick is not minding
I think it's way too messy to be accurate. I think there is a great potential for fraud and or mistakes favoring either side.
That’s fine, but I’m asking for specifics.
There’s a difference between thinking something has happened and knowing something has happened. You’re doing the former, but presenting it almost as fact. It’s a little irresponsible.
We’ll see how it all shakes down on the recount.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
We’ve always had mail-ins and it wasn’t an issue. Think of all our service people around the world. Are we trying to say they can’t vote because its by mail?

Why is there no issue with how the senate votes shook out? Same ballots.