The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
your right.
Back to the forest where spring and love is a . . . well, thumping

I've seen this a couple of times and sorta, kinda liked it. I didn't think much of Grace Kelly in it, though she gets much better later in her career. I thought Robert Cummings was unbelievable as her romantic interest. But Ray Milland was a stand out in this for sure. He was personable and interesting and gave the film some needed weight. Ray Milland is one of my favorite actors btw. I probably need to see it again someday. Glad you liked it! I can't confirm or deny if it was my choice for you

The Iron Giant

I liked this. It was a fun, easy watch. I was most impressed by the 1950s decor. I just love the 50s...anyway my favorite part was when the robot goes ballistic and starts vaporizing the attacking army vehicles. I kinda hoped the film would end with Hogart being wrong about the iron giant, and the truth was the iron giant was sent to annihilate humankind. Well that didn't happen but I still liked it.

My guess is Miss Vicky? or maybe Wyldsyde?

surprisingly I still haven't seen Iron Giant. Glad to hear to you enjoyed it
You were my other guess as to who nominated it. Oh, forget to say how much the robot looked like the cover of Queen's News of the World, except for the face, but the torso was similar.

The trick is not minding
I've seen this a couple of times and sorta, kinda liked it. I didn't think much of Grace Kelly in it, though she gets much better later in her career. I thought Robert Cummings was unbelievable as her romantic interest. But Ray Milland was a stand out in this for sure. He was personable and interesting and gave the film some needed weight. Ray Milland is one of my favorite actors btw. I probably need to see it again someday. Glad you liked it! I can't confirm or deny if it was my choice for you
I agree with you that it isn’t her best, but I thought she was decent in it. I put that on a weak character that was never really fleshed out further then “woman in peril”.
Milland was so great, and I need to see more of his work stat.

I agree with you that it isn’t her best, but I thought she was decent in it. I put that on a weak character that was never really fleshed out further then “woman in peril”.
Milland was so great, and I need to see more of his work stat.
I've considered a Ray Milland film or two for an HoF. Have you seen him in anything else?

It wasn't me. I gave you an animated movie last time only because I gave everyone animation last time. My pick for you this time is a movie that I like, but not one that I think anybody would associate with me.

It wasn't me. I gave you an animated movie last time only because I gave everyone animation last time. My pick for you this time is a movie that I like, but not one that I think anybody would associate with me.
I wasn't totally sure because you said you had went differently this time on your noms. I'm guessing then you went with Midnight Cowboy for me.

The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/3/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II, I think maybe Citizen nominated it?
Rewatch: No.

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this one. I was somewhat hopeful for it because it's pretty short, the premise seemed interesting enough, and I liked Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.

Well... I really didn't like anything about it. I lost interest in the premise pretty early on, thought the "knock-out" femme fatale Mary Astor was only average looking, and found both the score and the characters annoying - Bogart's "Samuel Spade" most of all. I spent the whole run of the movie wanting to punch that smugness right off his face.

I will grant though that watching this on election night when I was perhaps a bit overly stressed might not have given it the best opportunity to impress me, but c'est la vie. I doubt I would've enjoyed it even without any kind of distraction.

The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/3/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II, I think maybe Citizen nominated it?
Rewatch: No.

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this one. I was somewhat hopeful for it because it's pretty short, the premise seemed interesting enough, and I liked Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.

Well... I really didn't like anything about it. I lost interest in the premise pretty early on, thought the "knock-out" femme fatale Mary Astor was only average looking, and found both the score and the characters annoying - Bogart's "Samuel Spade" most of all. I spent the whole run of the movie wanting to punch that smugness right off his face.

I will grant though that watching this on election night when I was perhaps a bit overly stressed might not have given it the best opportunity to impress me, but c'est la vie. I doubt I would've enjoyed it even without any kind of distraction.

Yeah you likely need to watch that one twice, noirs like that you really need to be in the right mindset (BTW I did not nominate this for you)

You were my other guess as to who nominated it. Oh, forget to say how much the robot looked like the cover of Queen's News of the World, except for the face, but the torso was similar.
I've thought the same thing myself

and nope it wasn't me. I picked Peter Pan for ya

yeah, Siddon didn't nominate that one for ya Vicky, I did.
Like CR, I had a second nomination for you that, after I sent it in, I kept thinking: I really should switch 'em and of course, did not.
Like you had mentioned, you like Casablanca, Maltese Falcon SHOULD have a decent chance.
"C'est la vie" yes, indeed.

I've thought the same thing myself
and nope it wasn't me. I picked Peter Pan for ya
Oh yeah I remember you said that you chose Peter Pan for me, I meant to say when I first seen my movies to watch list, I had thought you might have went with Iron Giant.

yeah, Siddon didn't nominate that one for ya Vicky, I did.
Well you're pretty consistent in picking movies that I don't like.
If it's any consolation, it'll probably rank higher than Blue Velvet. Maybe there will be others that I dislike even more?

I love The Maltese Falcon, but it isn’t as good as Casablanca, yes.
No one has seen any of my picks yet 😎
I might have watched one of yours last night? I'll post my write up tonight.

The Iron Giant

I liked this. It was a fun, easy watch. I was most impressed by the 1950s decor. I just love the 50s...anyway my favorite part was when the robot goes ballistic and starts vaporizing the attacking army vehicles. I kinda hoped the film would end with Hogart being wrong about the iron giant, and the truth was the iron giant was sent to annihilate humankind. Well that didn't happen but I still liked it.

Haven't seen this in years but I remember liking it a lot. For some reason most animated movies, even ones I really enjoy, seem to have a flow problem. They bog down at some point or have a scene or two that just brings the movie to a screeching halt but I don't remember anything like that in The Iron Giant. It had, I guess, a good flow. Also remember it being pretty funny at times.