The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

The only version that I'd recommend is Finding Neverland (2004), which is really about J. M. Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan, rather than the Peter Pan story itself.
I watched Finding Neverland last night and enjoyed it. Johnny Depp is really good at playing the offbeat but likeable character that follows his own vision instead of society's. Kate Winslet was likeable too, then again she's usually amiable in most of her films.

What I liked most was the insight into the playwright who penned Peter Pan. Yes it's sentimental, but what in the world is wrong with that? We see so many movies that revolve around the negative, that it's refreshing to see a film that channels more positive emotions.

What intrigued me was the few brief scenes of Peter Pan being performed on stage, that's what I want to see more of! Have you ever seen Peter Pan (1955) or Peter Pan (1960) both starring Mary Martin? I'm keen to watch those.

The trick is not minding
I figured you’d enjoy Finding Neverland.
Also, count me in as a huge fan of Sullivan’s Travels.
I think I had it at #2 in our last one when it was recommended to me.
Loved it.

I figured you’d enjoy Finding Neverland.
Also, count me in as a huge fan of Sullivan’s Travels.
I think I had it at #2 in our last one when it was recommended to me.
Loved it.
Have you seen Veronica Lake in anything else? (I'm a big fan of hers)

The trick is not minding
Have you seen Veronica Lake in anything else? (I'm a big fan of hers)
No, or at least, nothing I can think of. I haven’t seen any of her noirs that she is famous for, sadly.
But if that Noir countdown happens, I can catch up on them.
*hint, hint*

No, or at least, nothing I can think of. I haven’t seen any of her noirs that she is famous for, sadly.
But if that Noir countdown happens, I can catch up on them.
*hint, hint*
Here's hoping

Super deserved, I liked reading you

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I watched Finding Neverland last night and enjoyed it. Johnny Depp is really good at playing the offbeat but likeable character that follows his own vision instead of society's. Kate Winslet was likeable too, then again she's usually amiable in most of her films.

What I liked most was the insight into the playwright who penned Peter Pan. Yes it's sentimental, but what in the world is wrong with that? We see so many movies that revolve around the negative, that it's refreshing to see a film that channels more positive emotions.

What intrigued me was the few brief scenes of Peter Pan being performed on stage, that's what I want to see more of! Have you ever seen Peter Pan (1955) or Peter Pan (1960) both starring Mary Martin? I'm keen to watch those.
I think I may have seen the 1960 version on TV as a wee tot. Not sure but there were a number of them back then.

I liked Sullivan's Travels more than I expected when I watched it for the 40's countdown. A lot of that had to do with Veronica Lake.

I nominated Blue Velvet for Miss Vicky. I have marked down the most possible noms for her, almost 20. When I look at the rest, I think she'd like all of them. I see them as safe choices, but I couldn't picture her loving any of them. I thought it Blue Velvet clicked for her, it could be more powerful than the others. Perhaps I wouldn't have chosen it had I seen it more recently as it's been about 20 years. I looked at it as my favorite from David Lynch, besides The Straight Story, which isn't like Lynch at all. Her not liking Lynch is another reason I picked it. I like taking chances and the surprise of it being a successful choice would have been a better than average payoff. I also picked Good Will Hunting for CR after reading he didn't like Robin Williams, but then someone else took it. This time it didn't work out but I don't regret trying.

I nominated Blue Velvet for Miss Vicky.
That’s surprising, especially since I liked your nomination most last time. Oh well, I probably disliked it less than I disliked the other Lynch films I have seen (Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man), so there’s that, I guess?

That’s surprising, especially since I liked your nomination most last time. Oh well, I probably disliked it less than I disliked the other Lynch films I have seen (Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man), so there’s that, I guess?
And the movie that I was considering that 2 others picked for you is American Werewolf.

And the movie that I was considering that 2 others picked for you is American Werewolf.
I had a feeling it might be. Probably gonna watch it today or tomorrow so we’ll know soon if it was a good choice or not.

The trick is not minding
Good Will Hunting featured a different, and serious, role from Williams than we usually get. Much more restrained as well.
Also, the film itself is amazing.

...I also picked Good Will Hunting for CR after reading he didn't like Robin Williams, but then someone else took it. This time it didn't work out but I don't regret trying.
I actually don't dislike Robin Williams per say. It's just in some of his movies he goes way over top...which some folks like and some don't. I use to like him as a talk show guest on late night talk shows. I think in more serious movie roles he could be great. I haven't seen him in much so Good Will Hunting will be a good one for me to watch. I'd also like to see Williams in One Hour Photo, I've heard good things about that one.

I've only seen Good Will Hunting once, many years ago. I didn't care for it at all, though that probably had more to do with my dislike of both Matt Damon and Ben Affleck (I'm okay with Affleck and am indifferent to Damon now).

About all I can remember from it was the line "Do you like apples? How do you like them apples?" though.

I'm OK with Matt Damon, he seems kinda boring usually. But I suppose for this kind of role that might work out. I did like his movie about people being made small, I forget what it's called.

I liked Sullivan's Travels more than I expected when I watched it for the 40's countdown. A lot of that had to do with Veronica Lake.

I nominated Blue Velvet for Miss Vicky. I have marked down the most possible noms for her, almost 20. When I look at the rest, I think she'd like all of them. I see them as safe choices, but I couldn't picture her loving any of them. I thought it Blue Velvet clicked for her, it could be more powerful than the others. Perhaps I wouldn't have chosen it had I seen it more recently as it's been about 20 years. I looked at it as my favorite from David Lynch, besides The Straight Story, which isn't like Lynch at all. Her not liking Lynch is another reason I picked it. I like taking chances and the surprise of it being a successful choice would have been a better than average payoff. I also picked Good Will Hunting for CR after reading he didn't like Robin Williams, but then someone else took it. This time it didn't work out but I don't regret trying.
Just letting the cat out of every single bag, ain't ya?
I was wondering if we were going to keep quiet about telling someone what we nominated once they reviewed it.
Now I know. lol

So, @Citizen Rules, I was the one who picked Peter Pan for you. It was actually between that and Pinocchio which I was second guessing as I sent in the nominations. Thinking you'd enjoy the more epic feel of Pinocchio and then figuring, no he'll enjoy the sentimentality of Peter Pan. So, sorry it didn't work for you.
Bringing me to:
planet of the apes

was considering watching this last night before it was even nominated for me so i'm glad to have finally seen it. was never in a hurry to get to this one because i've seen it referenced so many times that i felt as if i'd seen it already, but it was still thrilling to see the original. this film is very much just a dramatized thought experiment ("what if... there was a planet... of the apes???"), which can be a bad thing, but when it's this grand and cinematic, it can be a wonderful thing. especially if it involves charlton heston going crazy on some apes in an epic sci-fi metaphor about the evils of humanity and how systems of oppression and cruelty are reproduced. i usually try not to let knowing the twist in advance affect my perception of a movie, but it's a bit harder with this one simply because it's so integral to the premise of the film and in retrospect it feels extremely obvious, but i'm sure i would've been surprised at the time. regardless, the cold matter-of-factness of the final shot is still incredibly powerful. not much else to say about this one that hasn't been said. it's about a freaking planet of the apes, what's not to like?

That was mine. Glad you enjoyed it!

With cricket remarking on Straight Story, I'm curious if that might be the exception to Lynch films since it is VERY un-Lynch. Which it is. Though it might be a little too sentimental for ya.

...So, @Citizen Rules, I was the one who picked Peter Pan for you. It was actually between that and Pinocchio which I was second guessing as I sent in the nominations. Thinking you'd enjoy the more epic feel of Pinocchio and then figuring, no he'll enjoy the sentimentality of Peter Pan. So, sorry it didn't work for you....
I might not have loved it, but it was a nice watch and I'm certainly glad I did see it. I figure anybody who joins and takes a best guess at what I might like deserves this

I so suck at guessing who chose what. I was sure Hey Fredrick chose Peter Pan, I mean he does have a Tinker Bell pumpkin! I thought you chose Good Will Hunting as your fond of Robin Williams. Wrong guess there too. I don't know if I'll be making any more guesses or not

I might not have loved it, but it was a nice watch and I'm certainly glad I did see it. I figure anybody who joins and takes a best guess at what I might like deserves this

I so suck at guessing who chose what. I was sure Hey Fredrick chose Peter Pan, I mean he does have a Tinker Bell pumpkin! I thought you chose Good Will Hunting as your fond of Robin Williams. Wrong guess there too. I don't know if I'll be making any more guesses or not
I feel ya. It's impossible for me to guess. Hell, I don't know which one Miss Vicky picked for me and she has several obvious ones on others lol

I feel ya. It's impossible for me to guess. Hell, I don't know which one Miss Vicky picked for me and she has several obvious ones on others lol
If it makes you feel better, the one I picked for you is not an obvious choice at all. I think it’s a very good movie but it’s not a personal favorite and not a movie I’ve ever really talked about on the forum.